03-27-2019

US

6 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 4

Moto G7 Power on "Total Wireless" network

2019-03-27, 20:59 PM

Brand new Moto "G7 Power", 32GB, network unlocked, bought late last week from a local BestBuy on literally the first day that the phone was offered to the public. Prior to this phone, since 2016, I had a Moto X Pure (32GB), on the exact same network and plan, and had absolutely no issues. Unfortunately, the batteries don't last forever and it was time to upgrade, hence the move to the G7 Power. So, I activated the G7 two days ago on "Total Wireless" network and have using it with no noticeable issues. Today, I did a network download/upload speedtest check, in my living room, and it was initially showing around 5 Mbps Download and 1 Mbps Upload. A little later I stepped outside, got a full signal, and it went to 25 to 30 MBps Up/4.5 MBps Down. Later still I tried it back indoors, again, and it dropped like a stone to 2.32 Mbps/0.47 Mbps. Back outside, 6 minutes later, and it was 15.2 UP/0.47 DOWN. Seems eratic???????????

I was using the "Speedtest" by Ookla.

Do the CDMA radios (or other connectivity hardware) on the phone have any known compatability or sensitivity issues with this network. It, "Total Wireless", is a MVNO type provider and is a subsidiary of the Tracfone company. Possibly, given the "newness" of this device on their network, it may have "recognition/connection" issues that may affect its performance. I'm puzzled and wondering if it is the phone "model" itself, or maybe just this particular phone....

Anyone having similar issues?

Options

11 Posts

03-26-2019

US

119 Signins

1117 Page Views

• Views: 1117
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Moto G7 Power on "Total Wireless" network

2019-03-28, 2:17 AM

I'm not an expert, so for what it's worth....

Do note that TW strictly uses Verizon's network.

Your experience may just be simple network congestion.

Or it might be effects of band steering and carrier aggregation.  Maybe some of your slow speeds are due to the tower telling your phone to use Band 13 (usually congested in my area), where your higher speed tests are due to the tower utilizing carrier aggregation across bands to give you better throughput (which will also vary depending on congestion and other factors).  Your G7 supports Band 66 -- this band isn't supported by your Moto X -- so your G7 is more capable in this respect.  For example, in my area Verizon has Bands 4, 5, 13, and 66 deployed.  Install the "Network Cell Info" app to see which band your phone is currently listening on along with other stats.

Or it could be data deprioritization due to you being on an MVNO.  I'm a Verizon postpaid customer, so my traffic is prioritized over Verizon prepaid and MVNO traffic, but I don't know exactly how it plays out.  Threads like the one below touch on this (assuming the link to Howard Forums isn't redacted):

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1900026-Data-priority-order?highlight=mvno+deprioritize

Or it could be a combination of all of the above.

I guess it seems doubtful that it is a Moto G7 problem and the Snapdragon 632 chipset.  :)

Options

3 Posts

03-27-2019

US

6 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-03-28, 4:19 AM

ATTN: jmmec

What you posted makes a bit of sense to me..., in so far as my "sense" concerning networks, with their contrivances and configurations, is limited. I like the new phone, and I know there's a lot of new and different hardware in it, even though it's not a"flagship" phone. That said, I'm not really "in need" of one, I just would like to have one that works well on my network. Am "considering" going to take it back and move up to the Moto X4, which is almost 4 years newer than my old X PURE. It too is a brand new model and is more middle to upscale. It'll cost me another C note, but it might be worth the bump in the long run. Part of the reason I went with the G7 Power is the gargantuan battery, but if I have to trade off too much performance due to network congestion issues.

I guess I could get (and fortunately, can still afford) a new unlocked Galaxy S9, but then I might have the same issues with it..., if it's more related to the network I'm on...

thank you very much for giving me some things to think about...

I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

MotoG8tr

Options

3 Posts

03-30-2019

US

2 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-03-31, 15:39 PM

Really rotten experience with the Moto G7 Power! I just bought one this past Tuesday night. Could not get it to connect with Internet. Brought it back to the store yesterday. They changed the SIM card--no change. They took out another Moto G7 Power. That one wouldn't connect either. Two store employees worked on it for 3 1/2 hours, talking with my cellphone carrier. No change. I was told a "2nd Tier" rep from my phone service (a very well-known name brand) would call today, and he did. Spent another 1-1/2 hours. He tried everything; told me the problem wasn't on his end—problem is with the phone. I called Motorola tech service and explained the problem. The Motorola tech rep assured me the answer was to do a factory reset. Didn't sound like a solution to me. I said that I didn't want to lose my contacts, pictures, etc. She said don't worry, it's all saved on Google. I checked, and told her the file was 0 bytes. She said don't worry, we'll save it all now. We tried saving. I had my doubts, but stupidly went ahead with the reset. Everything wiped out--nothing saved on Google; no pictures no contacts, no nothing. And guess what, after the reset, the phone had new problems along with the old ones. Now I can't get anything on it to work properly. I owned a Moto G before and liked it, just so you know I'm not some anti-Motorola nut. In fact, that's why I opted for G7--I've owned Motorolas going back to the 90s. Please believe me--buy this phone and you'll regret it. Actually, you don't have to believe me--just check the complaints that are starting to come in on other Internet forums. Keep in mind, this phone's been out only a very short time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save