Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g7 play / moto g7 / moto g7 power / moto g7 plus
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-20-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

64 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 64
  • Message 31 of 117

Re: Moto G7 Power stops recognizing SD card after reboot

2019-09-11, 16:25 PM

Phone reported "corrupted SD card" yet again this morning. This is the fifth time this has happened and with three different SD Cards. The worst occasion was being away on holiday and not being able to access data, photos and music for the  duration of the holiday but each occasion has been frustrating.

This morning the result of the corrupted SD card was that the phone would not allow me to take photos until the SD card was removed. I did not have the tool with me but after some searching, a mobile phone shop obliged.

This is just not acceptable. Several users have reported it and Lenovo know about it but have failed to come up with a fix. (The Forum shows this )

Without a reliable SD card I am limited to 16Gb memory total  which is why I , and others, avoid Apple. Iphones. No other Android phone  maker seems to have this problem.

I feel that I have been mis-sold this phone as it is not fit for purpose. I will therefore be going back to the maker (Lenovo ) and the  supplier (John Lewis Ltd ) for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act " as it is not as described.

Options

1 Posts

09-14-2019

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 32 of 117

2019-09-14, 9:08 AM

I have recently bought a Moto G7 Power and put the SD card that was in my Sony Xperia Z3 in the phone and it tells me the SD card is corrupted and the only options it gives me is to reformat it as extra phone storage or portable storage. If I take the SD card out and put it in a micro usb conveter and put that in the USB port on my computer, it manages to read it without any problems. Does the MotoG 7 Power use a different formatting method? If not, how can I access the data on the SD card.?

The SD card is a Samsung 128 EVO

Options

3 Posts

09-23-2019

Canada

7 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 33 of 117

2019-09-23, 22:38 PM

I have also started experiencing this issue, though on a moto g6. Things have been fine up until my recent upgrade to Andoid 9 - Pie. Information online seems sparse, this seems like it is the main forum regarding this issue so I thought I would chime in.

First, the tech specs:

moto g(6)

SKU: XT1925-2

Hardware version: PVT2

Bootloader: Unlocked (Warranty Void)

Android verion: 9

Build: PPS29.55-37-4

Software channel: retla

Installed from: ALI_RETAIL_9.0_PPS29.55-37-4_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip (Couldn't find a RETLA version mirrored).

The Android OS boot image was patched to disable DM Verity ForceEncrypt, and it is rooted with Magisk v19.3 (Magisk Manager 7.3.4). Meaning, my phone is rooted and unencrypted. The recovery image was also replaced with the ALI specific version of TWRP 3.3.1-0.

SD1: SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC I (5 year old card). FS: exFAT

SD2: Kingston 128GB microSDXC I (2 hour old card)

So it began today, an Android notification "Issue with sd card. Tap to fix." using SD1. So I immediately powered off, and popped SD1 into the laptop via the SD Card caddy, and accordingto windows, all is well. my files are intact. I used "robocopy /MIR" (via Windows command prompt) to copy the contents from the SD to the laptop. Everything copied fine. I then gave it a quick format, restored the data back to SD1 via robocopy once again. Popped in into the motoG6, powered it up, and the notification returned.

So, knowing my data is already safe, I "tapped to fix", let Android Pie to what's best. It formatted, but the "Issue with sd card. Tap to fix." error returned immediately. I returned the SD card to the laptop, gave it a full format...and came back hours later when it was done to once again see how it would work in the phone. No dice, "Issue with sd card. Tap to fix." once again. I tried to format it to internal storage, but no matter what I do, it appears as corrupt to the phone (or so it seems).

Enter a trip to the local computer shop, and SD2 gets unwrapped. Insert the card, boot to system "Issue with sd card. Tap to fix.". I let it do its thing, it finishes and immediately notified to tap to fix, and Settings > Storage indicates that this card too is corrupt.

I then booted into Recovery mode (TWRP in my case, most readers would have access to the stock recovery image). Here I took a look at things with TWRP. It can access SD1 just fine. Format with TWRP, then tried to copy a bunch of contents from the internal sdcard to SD2, it worked! I then copied the same contents from SD2 to a different location within the internal sdcard successfully.

When I booted back into Android, once again: "Issue with sd card. Tap to fix."; Settings > Storage says its corrupt.

Based on my tests I have concluded a couple of things, at least in my case:

1) I probably wasted money on buying SD2. I've been working SD1 hard the last couple of days with backups and restores, and being 5 years old I assumed it was the culprit for some reason.

2) If you're reading this, its quite likely your microSD card is just fine.

3) This does not appear to be an issue with the phone's hardware itself, the TWRP recovery OS is able to interact with SD1 and SD2 just fine.

4) Based on research, this issue seems to be associated with various Motorola phone models after upgrading to Android Pie. I will go ahead and assume for the time being that the Moto devs have borked something with this release.

First, I will try to see if there is a way to force the OS to mount the microSD card through Termux or the ADB shell. Failing that, since I have been backing up, wiping, and restoring my phone again and again over the past several days to upgrade from a rooted Oreo install to Pie, I will go through it all again, for science.

(Motorola, you sure didn't make this Oreo-Pie upgrade to be an easy operation for rooted users. It was a very easy process to do the same procedure on my nVidia Shield TV...once they released the proper image).

Cheers,

techanic

Options

3 Posts

09-23-2019

Canada

7 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 34 of 117

2019-09-24, 14:50 PM

I was spending far too much time working out how to mount the sdcard manually without wiping my device again, so I just wiped my device again, reinstalled the stock Android 9 OS images above via fastboot (apart from recovery image - stock recovery doesnt work on devices with unlocked bootloaders, so TWRP here).

Anyhow, both SD1 and SD2 are both now accessible and functional. I was able to tease the mounting parameters from the "mount" command within a Terminal Emulater app. Here is the output (where "A1B2-C3D4" would be the hex ID of your SD...I think you can use whatever you like here.)

Mount Parameters:

/dev/block/vold/public:179,65 on /mnt/media_rw/A1B2-C3D4 type exfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/block/vold/public:179,65 on /mnt/secure/asec type exfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro)
/mnt/media_rw/A1B2-C3D4 on /mnt/runtime/default/58A2-2982 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=1015,mask=6)
/mnt/media_rw/A1B2-C3D4 on /mnt/runtime/read/58A2-2982 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)
/mnt/media_rw/A1B2-C3D4 on /mnt/runtime/write/58A2-2982 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)
/mnt/media_rw/A1B2-C3D4 on /storage/58A2-2982 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)

I think only the first line is required to mount the SD to access data somehow, but all will be required to use within Android properly. I haven't tested how this yet, and I haven't worked out the exact command syntax quite yet, but I just wanted to report with news and info I couldn't find readily elsewhere.

Mount command for the first line I believe goes like this, the only thing that may change would be "type exfat", where exfat is the filesystem of the SD you have, exfat is the default, unless it is an older card:

mount -t exfat -o rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime /dev/block/vold/public:179,65 /mnt/media_rw/A1B2-C3D4

I'm going to continue seeing how it goes over the next day or so with the card and hope to report back.

techanic

Options

1 Posts

09-27-2019

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 35 of 117

2019-10-02, 20:19 PM

Hi, I have the sam issue where by the SD card was working fine for months and the suddenly the phone does not recognise it.i have reformatted the card and it still doe snor recognise it.

Any advice as the car phone warehouse is saying it's the phone at fault

Regards

B

Options

3 Posts

09-23-2019

Canada

7 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 36 of 117

2019-10-02, 23:04 PM

After some time with getting the phone to recognise SD1 and SD2, everything still seems to be fine. Another tip if you're formatting your SD card with windows, ensure the "Allocation unit size" is set to "Default allocation size".

It seems like the phone is flagging the SD card as errored, so it won't mount it. But it doesn't reset that error condition properly either, rendering the SD card slot useless...otherwise a brand new SD card ought to work. This is solvable through a bug fix, hopefully included in the next update. So it seems the only work-around for the time being is to go through the factory reset avenue.

Options

1 Posts

10-07-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 37 of 117

2019-10-08, 23:17 PM

I am using a Moto G7 Play. Inserted a SanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB card and formated it for internal memory. Worked fine for about 2 weeks, then my phone started acting really sluggish and showing a black screen when I tried to use different apps. Rebooted the phone, thinking that might help with the sluggishness problem, but instead it now says my SD card is missing. I can't read the data on my PC, since the card was formated for internal storage, but the card is recognized in my PC, my tablet, and my old phone. What is going on? I only just bought this phone and broke from my pattern of always buying Samsung, and this is what I get. Clearly this is an issue with G7 phones, and hopefully one that can be resolved with a software/firmware update. Are you going to fix this problem Motorola?

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 38 of 117

2019-10-11, 20:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

Can you please send me a bug report, so we can further investigate.

To capture Bug Report:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On (Optional)
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take a bug report
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It may take around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link of the Bug Report via private message.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

To enable developer options:
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

08-16-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 39 of 117

2019-10-11, 23:26 PM

Can I PM you my log file?  I got a notification from the forum about posting confidential stuff

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 40 of 117

2019-10-14, 14:10 PM

Hi XymVZek,

Sorry, yes, the bug report should be sent via private message. Thanks. Also, in your case, may I know what else have you tried aside from testing another SD card, have you tried formatting your SD card through your computer and through the phone?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms