05-03-2019

US

41 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 1 of 46

Moto G7 very poor signal in the US.

2019-05-06, 17:11 PM

I have a Moto G7 and have had very poor signal strength with this phone. I've noticed the signal issue on and off since I purchased the phone in early March. I purchased this phone basically as soon as it was released in the US, so I guess I hoped that my wireless carrier just hadn't updated something on their side. Although they now sell the G7 Power directly and I guess it works as expected.

I'm in the US, with a US phone if it helps. I'm currently on MetroPCS which is a MVNO of T-Mobile, although I've tried this on T-Mobile as well since both are listed as supported by this carrier on the Moto site. I know the G7 doesn't have band 71, which would probably help with my carrier but my old LG Stylo2+ didn't have band 71 either and I got better signal performance everywhere with that old phone. I am currently inside with my phone maybe 18 inches from a wall of windows and my signal strength is currently -112 dBm 28 asu. The best I've seen was earlier when it hit -107 dBm 33 asu. I know band 71 isn't just a software thing as far as I understand it. I've also checked this outside my work and also on my drive home. -100 dBm is about the average for driving around but I did see it hit -90 dBm once. At my house it's basically the same, sitting around -106 anywhere I go.

I watched and waited with excitement until this phone was released to replace my old phone and now I often miss my old phone. This weak signal is nearly non-functional. To make it worse I've purchased 2 of these, one also for my wife. So I'm $600+ into this mistake so far.

Is this really as good as it gets for this phones signal strength? Is there anything else that can be done at this point?

Options

2 Posts

05-08-2019

US

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 2 of 46

Re: Moto G7 very poor signal in the US.

2019-05-08, 20:36 PM

I'm having this same issue with my signal strength roughly the same as yours. Hope it works out for both of us because this is a great phone otherwise. 

Options

12 Posts

05-03-2019

US

41 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 3 of 46

2019-05-08, 21:22 PM

Yeah, my wife and I both love this phone but don't know what to do. I know the G7 Power is now available from my carrier and it has band 71. So it may get a better signal than my G7. Although I purposely wanted the higher model phone, better specs and camera.

The only option I seem to have is selling these phones and buying something else... and hoping I don't lose too much money on the deal. 

It would be nice to hear anything from Moto/Lenovo about this issue. Maybe there's some other option.

Options

2 Posts

05-09-2019

US

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 4 of 46

2019-05-09, 13:53 PM

I was having poor service the last couple of days.  I thought it might just be because I was traveling accross Kansas and Nebraska, but maybe it is the phone.  This is disappointing if it is since I like the phone.

Options

12 Posts

05-03-2019

US

41 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 5 of 46

2019-05-20, 17:06 PM

Since it's been over 2 weeks since I posted this and I've not seen any reply from Moto/Lenovo  about these concerns I assume this is just what we have to deal with if we want to use this phone. I know they can't just reply and fix the issue, but I guess I expected to get some sort of answer/suggestions/'we're looking into it'...anything really.

I thought not having band 71 was my issue. Although I double checked and my old LG Stylo 2+ also doesn't have band 71, or the majority of the other bands that the G7 lists, but it gets FAR BETTER reception than my Moto G7. How could this phone have such poor reception compared to a phone that was released 3 years ago? I have the same job, same house, and same desk at work that I had when I was using my LG Stylo daily so nothing has changed except I bought a new phone.

Is there some sort of buy back/trade in program for this phone? I think if I want to stay with the G7 line I may have to unfortunately go with a Power model. 

Options

1 Posts

05-28-2019

US

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 6 of 46

2019-05-28, 20:24 PM

I am experiencing the same problem. This needs to be addressed. My old phone which was 6 years old had better cell coverage

Options

2 Posts

05-09-2019

US

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 7 of 46

2019-05-28, 20:43 PM

I spoke with a couple of different Verizon workers and they just came to the conclusion that the Verizon network didn't like the phone.  Even when I logged into My Verizon account it didn't really recognize the phone and just put up a generic picture.  I took that as it works on Verizon but isn't the best for the network.

I ended up returning mine, spend an extra $100 and got the Pixel 3a, plus I got $100 store credit from purchasing it directly from Google.

I think I would have liked the Moto G7 and I generally like all of the moto phones, so I wasn't happy with having to go with something else.  At least I was able to return mine and get a full refund...except for the case that I purchased...

Options

2 Posts

05-31-2019

US

4 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 8 of 46

2019-06-02, 5:44 AM

I wish i could return mine. I'm outside the return window. Works fine on Wifi, but on the network with data it sucks. I have been running speedtests and it is slow. Verizon doesn't seem to know what is going on.  I finally splurged on a new phone for my daughter and I and read that this was so good and now we have these problems. This is my first and last Motorola phone.

Options

12 Posts

05-03-2019

US

41 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 9 of 46

2019-06-04, 15:46 PM

I agree, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like much will be done to address the issue based on the lack of response here. I've since changed carriers to one that gets a better signal in my location. Although for example, at my work on my current carrier there are 2 other people with the same carrier but different brands of phones that get a bar or 2 greater signal than my phone does.

There's clearly an issue with the reception on the Moto phones.

Options

37 Posts

06-06-2018

US

25 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 10 of 46

2019-06-06, 16:17 PM

I am on my 2nd G7 (1st one had BT issues) and have used them both on Verzion and AT&T and T-mobile. I had no issues on Verizon where I live, coverage-wise, with the G7s. Nearly full signal and VOLTE even indoors where I live. However, the Voicemail icon would not go away at times (I hate that they do not offer visual voicemail for prepaid customers). Per Motorola's compatibility page, the G7 is 'certified' to work with all features of the Verizon network; despite that, Wi-fi calling does not work on the G7 on Verizon so I ended up not keeping my Verizon SIM.  It could be the phone itself. If you want to keep a G7, and you're feeling adventurous, buy a new G7 and sell your current one on Swappa. If it's in good shape you could get ~$220 or so. Yes, a loss, but if you really like the phone, may be worth taking that hit and trying a new G7. (Worked for me with my aforementioned BT issue on my 1st G7)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete