Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g7 play / moto g7 / moto g7 power / moto g7 plus
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-19-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 9

Moto g7 power no mobile data on AT&T

2019-04-19, 22:36 PM

Just got a new G7 Power. Went to AT&T store yesterday and had to get a new SIM card since my current SIM is a microSIM and not a nanoSIM. Got it all setup, spent most of the day updating new phone with data nd apps from old one all under Wifi. Then today when away from Wifi noticed that mobile data wasn't working. It's all turned on, APN looks correct. Chatted and talked with AT&T customer support. They seem to think that their network is correct, but there support is generally incompetent, so it could be a problem on their end. Phone calls and text message work, but no LTE, which is what I get with my other phone.

After having read these forums and seeing all the problems with LTE across multiple carriers -- AT&T included, I suspect that it is the phone. I'm going to go back to the AT&T store tomorrow and see if they can help as they guy that set the SIM card up seemed to have a clue. If that doesn't work I'll swap my SIM from my Z-play and if that doesn't work I'm probably going to have to return the phone as defective.

If it's a known problem with a known solution (like an update) I can probably wait a few days. I do NOT want to go through the process of making sure the phone has all the stuff from the old one again. 

Answer
Options

4 Posts

04-19-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

37 Page Views

Re: Moto g7 power no mobile data on AT&T

2019-04-20, 19:33 PM

I took the phone into the AT&T store and told them that it would not get mobile data with the SIM that they had given me and that I verified that it worked fine with my known good SIM. They looked at it for a while, then put another brand new SIM in it. Same problem. After quite a while, they finally got it to work. They got it to work by telling their system that it was a difernt phone (an IMEI from a LG phone). Worked fine after that. Obviously, their databases or whatever that decide what capabilities a device have don't think that the IMEIs from G7 Power phones are 4G capable.

Obviously by now probably a lot of G7 Power phones are working correctly on AT&Ts network. I suspect that they do not have all the IMEI numbers for all the G7s (like mine). This may explain why G7 Powers on other carriers are also experiencing this problem, and why some forums I have read that some phones work and others do not. My recommendation for others is to talk to a competent person for the carrier and ask them to encode an IMEI number for a known supported phone and see if that works.

I'm not sure if this will cause some problem in the future, but it seems to work for now. It is the wife's phone and she is happy (for now). She loves the battery, which is why we got this phone.

Replies(8)
Options

2 Posts

04-20-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 2 of 9

2019-04-20, 2:04 AM

I'm having exactly the same issue with the G7 Power I activated yesterday, only I'm on T Mobile. I would love to hear what the solution is.

Options

4 Posts

04-19-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2019-04-20, 16:48 PM

I swapped a known good SIM from my other phone. The problem followed the new SIM card  and the G7 Power was able to get mobile data with the known good SIM. Back to AT&T. I suspect they screwed up when they provisioned the SIM.

Answer
Options

4 Posts

04-19-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-04-20, 19:33 PM

I took the phone into the AT&T store and told them that it would not get mobile data with the SIM that they had given me and that I verified that it worked fine with my known good SIM. They looked at it for a while, then put another brand new SIM in it. Same problem. After quite a while, they finally got it to work. They got it to work by telling their system that it was a difernt phone (an IMEI from a LG phone). Worked fine after that. Obviously, their databases or whatever that decide what capabilities a device have don't think that the IMEIs from G7 Power phones are 4G capable.

Obviously by now probably a lot of G7 Power phones are working correctly on AT&Ts network. I suspect that they do not have all the IMEI numbers for all the G7s (like mine). This may explain why G7 Powers on other carriers are also experiencing this problem, and why some forums I have read that some phones work and others do not. My recommendation for others is to talk to a competent person for the carrier and ask them to encode an IMEI number for a known supported phone and see if that works.

I'm not sure if this will cause some problem in the future, but it seems to work for now. It is the wife's phone and she is happy (for now). She loves the battery, which is why we got this phone.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

04-20-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-04-21, 3:56 AM

I posted a query to Motorolla Tech Support last night and got a response today. The following is their response. My results/comments are in italics. Bottom line is resetting the APN worked for me!

Kindly follow the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Restart. did nothing

Restarting the phone will reboot the device.
When this occurs, the phone will re-establish connection to network.

2. Check signal strength. pleny of signal

If you are experiencing this problem only in certain areas, or certain times of the day, it could indicate a network issue.

Contact your carrier for more troubleshooting options.

Tip: Try to remove and reinsert the SIM card. did nothing If you have access to another phone, try the SIM card in another device, to see if the issue is resolved. I installed a SIM card from a working phone and this resolved the issue. Reinserting my card back in my phone brought the issue back. I did not try my card in the other phone.

3. Reset APN. This worked!!!

1. Please go to Settings.
2. Touch Network & Internet.
3. Touch Mobile Network.
4. Touch Access Point Names.
5. Touch the Menu Icon.
6. Touch Reset to Default.
7. The APN settings have been reset to default.

4. Use Safe mode to check apps and uninstall if necessary. did not try it since 3. resolved the problem

Safe mode -starts the device without any 3rd party applications being started. This will allow you to open apps individually to try and determine which app may be causing the issue.

To Enable Safe Mode:

1. Press the Power key.
2. Touch and hold Power off.
3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears.
4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner.
5. If the issue is resolved, the cause appears to be a 3rd party app.
6. Simply power cycle the device to disable safe mode, and then go through the process of trying to identify and removing the problem application.

Tips:
• Begin by looking for specific application types such as launchers, task killers or anti-virus apps.

• You may be required to re-add accounts such as Facebook and LinkedIn after initiating Safe mode. (Settings > + Add Account)

To Remove Application:

1.Go to Play Store > Menu or three lines located on the upper left corner > My apps and games.
2.Touch the application that you want to remove.
3.Touch Uninstall, then confirm by touching OK

Restart the device and test.

5. Check for latest software. I have the latest software

Software updates come out periodically and may contain performance enhancements for the device.

To check if the software is up to date:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Go to Systems.
3. Tap System Updates.

Kudos to Motorola Tech Support for helping me resolve this issue

Options

1 Posts

04-22-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 6 of 9

2019-04-22, 1:57 AM

Just wanted to say, I had the same issue of no data on att. When I called they said my Moto g7 power Imei # showed as an unsupported device and wasn't capable of anything other than 2g.

We ended up using my old LG Imei for the g7 and it worked. I now have lte working on the g7.

I don't know if my g7 imei is part of a batch of bad codes or what. I tried registering my phone on the Motorola website but just ran into a never ending loop of links and couldn't register my device.

Options

6 Posts

05-10-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

43 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 43
  • Message 7 of 9

2019-05-10, 7:09 AM
Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, I tried step 3 and it didn't work for me. I'm now going to try step 4.
Options

6 Posts

05-10-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

43 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 43
  • Message 8 of 9

2019-05-10, 11:47 AM

I'm a pay monthly virgin SIM customer and had the same problem with my G7 Power. Here's what Virgin told me to do:

First try texting ALL to 789922.

If that doesn't work try doing it manually:

1 Settings

2 Network and Internet

3 Mobile Network

4 Access Point Names

5 APN profile ....

Name: Internet

APN: goto.virginmobile.uk

Username: None

Password: None

MCC: 234

MNC: 38

APN type: Default

then SAVE.

Options

7 Posts

07-19-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-07-19, 13:56 PM
I am having the same issue with Google Fi. However their support won't get back to me and it's been a week. I was able to use Mint when I got the phone. I'm not sure I'll get it fixed since Fi is not getting back to me.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)