01-26-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 8

Moto g7 terrible video quality incoming text messaging only

2020-01-26, 1:58 AM

Hi all, I have had a g7 for about a month now. I think it's an 'international edition,' I have it on att.  If it helps, IMEI is removed for SIM slot one, which is the only one currently being used. 

Any time I receive a text message with a video, the quality is like it's straight out of 1995 (or whenever people started sending and receiving videos via text)

I've tried looking through setting but can't find anything. 

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Edit: to be clear, I don't seem to be having resolution issues when I take videos/pictures myself, or send them in a text message, it seems to be only receiving videos (maybe pics too but I can't recall a picture that came through blurry)

Edited: for privacy - Rich

Options

8567 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1016 Signins

134902 Page Views

• Views: 134902
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto g7 terrible video quality incoming text messaging only

2020-01-27, 17:17 PM

Hi dwpauley,

Are you using the Messages app and sending it via MMS? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2020-02-02, 13:52 PM

Yes, using the messages app. It was the default app when I got the phone, and I haven't changed any settings.

But no, it doesn't happen when I send, only when I receive. I do send MMS but it quality is fine when I am the sender. Only when I am the receiver is it terrible quality. 

Options

8567 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1016 Signins

134902 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-02-03, 13:53 PM

Hi dwpauley,

As far as I know, the quality is limited in MMS, you will not get exactly the same quality as the original video/picture due to the compression of its size. Can you further elaborate the comparisons and the tests you've tried?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2020-02-15, 2:14 AM

Sorry for the delay on this one.

Here's an attachment of what I see vs what others see.

The video I got is 4 seconds, message detaisl says the message is 68.8kb.  I received another one that was maybe 1 second, with a file size of 15.8 kb

I had my wife send me a screenshot from the video, which says the size is 526kb.

There's no way this amount of compression can typical - if so, then why is it not done for pictures as well?  Why must there be compression to begin with?  I am paying for the data.  The video came through fine on iphone and galaxy.

Options

8567 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1016 Signins

134902 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-02-17, 14:41 PM

Hi dwpauley,

Thanks for the screenshot. Videos in MMS will be blurry because there's a size limitation, so the video will be compressed when it's sent/received and that leads to blurriness. Same goes when using other media such as Facebook Messenger, you will not get the original quality of the photo/video when receiving and/or uploading it. Not sure how blurred the quality would be when using MMS, but searching around, I read different carriers have different standards as to what is allowed to be sent without being compressed. Have you asked your carrier about this? Also, try sending an MMS to yourself and see if you'll get the same quality as you sent and as you received.

I'll see if I can test this as well. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

04-15-2020

US

6 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 7 of 8

Re:Moto g7 terrible video quality incoming text messaging only

2020-04-15, 18:36 PM
The video quality is based on the size of the file. If the file is too big it will have to be compressed and lower quality. The sender has the option to send low or "higher" quality videos. Google messages has pretty good video compression. Tell the sender to send at the highest quality the carrier will allow.
Options

15 Posts

09-10-2016

US

34 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 8 of 8

Re:Moto g7 terrible video quality incoming text messaging only

2020-04-15, 19:40 PM

That's 100% normal behavior. Different carries may allow larger files than others. This is what T-Mobile had to say about it. Using MMS over WiFi should allow for larger files iirc.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save