IT

18 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 15

NFC Moto G7 Power

2019-04-15, 11:32 AM

Hi all,

why on offiial website Motorola tells about NFC on G7 power? And then we don't have it?!!

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: NFC Moto G7 Power

2019-04-15, 11:39 AM

wrote:

Hi all,

why on offiial website Motorola tells about NFC on G7 power? And then we don't have it?!!

Please post the link to the official web site that states this and we can get it corrected if it is wrong. Different regions have different features on their phones, so make sure you are looking at the Motorola site in your region and purchasing the phone for your region. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

13 Posts

12-04-2017

IT

18 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2019-04-15, 12:07 PM

Hi, this is the link, everywhere speaking about NFC

https://www.motorola.it/products/moto-g-power-gen-7

Options

94 Posts

04-02-2019

US

317 Signins

2338 Page Views

• Views: 2338
  • Message 4 of 15

2019-04-15, 14:00 PM

Wonderful, is says that it has NFC in the body but look at the full specs at the bottom of the page.

Tecnologia NFC

Sì**

No

Options

32 Posts

03-29-2019

GB

63 Signins

428 Page Views

• Views: 428
  • Message 5 of 15

2019-04-15, 14:08 PM

I agree and it is very annoying.  Manty sellers of this  phone in the UK originally showed it as having NFC and even dual SIM, and used the 5 Ghz frquency for Wifi as well as 2.4 but of course once the phone was released it didn't have these features and the advertising got changed.  But it still absolutely puzzles me why there needs to be so many variants of this and other phones.  It is a G7 Power.  I would have thought it would be easier and cheaper to have the same variant throught the world and not different versions for different regions.  It's crazy.  How many variants are there?  I can work out about 6 that I know of.  I preordered my phone based on a couple of these features and of course it does not have them.  Not enough to make me send it back.  But is enough to make me not to trust Motorola in the futrue when new phones come out and make me wait for the spec to be confimed before I buy.  Lot's of bad things happend before the release of this phone.  And even now, but in another thread, there are problems with the WiFi on it.  Rant over!

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2019-04-15, 14:10 PM

wrote:

Hi, this is the link, everywhere speaking about NFC

https://www.motorola.it/products/moto-g-power-gen-7

I have asked Motorola to review the page as it says both yes and no under NFC, but the bottom of the page with asterisk indicates yes is correct. 

I will someone to clarify and correct the page. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

13 Posts

12-04-2017

IT

18 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2019-04-15, 14:13 PM
i am really disappointend of this nfc lack, very annoying... i am currently using a Apple Watch 4 for NFC payements
Options

25 Posts

12-15-2014

US

34 Signins

405 Page Views

• Views: 405
  • Message 8 of 15

2019-04-18, 3:32 AM

wrote:
i am really disappointend of this nfc lack, very annoying... i am currently using a Apple Watch 4 for NFC payements

I am more disappointed that Motorola would sell customers phones with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 which includes NFC and 5Ghz wifi but then seemingly sometimes not provide the required antennas in the phone for those features to work.

If we are already buying the capability in the chip, how much more does it cost to provide the antennas?

The specification from Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 used in the Moto G7, Moto G7 Power and Moto G7 Play is available here:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-632-mobile-platform

I may be misunderstanding something about the full cost of providing the features already built into the phone chipset, but currently I am having a hard time understanding the logical reason for this.

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2019-04-18, 12:14 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I am more disappointed that Motorola would sell customers phones with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 which includes NFC and 5Ghz wifi but then seemingly sometimes not provide the required antennas in the phone for those features to work.

If we are already buying the capability in the chip, how much more does it cost to provide the antennas?

The specification from Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 used in the Moto G7, Moto G7 Power and Moto G7 Play is available here:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-632-mobile-platform

I may be misunderstanding something about the full cost of providing the features already built into the phone chipset, but currently I am having a hard time understanding the logical reason for this.

I doubt they are skipping the antenna. Every feature on the Qualcomm chip is enabled via software and has a cost associated with it. It is more likely the chips are shipped to Motorola with the features disabled that were not paid for. This is how other products work. 

Options

25 Posts

12-15-2014

US

34 Signins

405 Page Views

• Views: 405
  • Message 10 of 15

2019-04-19, 3:02 AM

I doubt they are skipping the antenna. Every feature on the Qualcomm chip is enabled via software and has a cost associated with it. It is more likely the chips are shipped to Motorola with the features disabled that were not paid for. This is how other products work. 

This explaintain makes sense.  The associated fees for activating 5Ghz/Dual-Band wifi may have pushed the phone out of it's price point.

I still consider leaving out NFC a big mistake.  Both Motorola and Lenovo has a history of talking about IoT (Internet of Things) devices.  It would almost seem like both parts of the company have considered for a long time that IoT will play an important part of products they release in the future.

If you look at the WPA3 DPP (Device Provisioning Protocol), a NFC based enrollment for IoT provides the best customer experience.  The previous WPA2 WPS solution was a security joke.  Also other methods of DPP for IoT such as QR codes really is not the best customer experience.

I completely understand the Moto G7 line does not *directly* support WPA3.  That is not my point and I'm not expecting it to.  My expectation is if Lenovo or Motorola release an IoT app on the Google Play store for future products that the app should be able to do NFC DPP for their product.  Clearly for this phone that method of DPP simply can't work.  While not paying the license activation cost for NFC may have help reach a specific price point or profit margin for this phone, I think it may also hold back IoT adoption.  I just wish the company would be more consistent with their IoT mission statement.

I also would see it to Qualcomm's advantage to minimize the cost of NFC license to also promote IoT devices given the number of these products that also help Qualcomm's bottom line.

Overall my opinion is that treating NFC as a flagship phone feature just for having access to Google Pay is missing the expanded roll that NFC could play if it become a commonly available resource for consumers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete