CA

24 Signins

543 Page Views

• Views: 543
  • Message 31 of 83

Re: New Moto g7 Power - very low sound

2019-08-21, 1:29 AM

wrote:

B&H sent another phone, same exact problem.  Hard to believe 2 phones could randomly have the same problem.   Obviously it was not random.   Sent that back, they kept $109 for about $10 worth of free junk they sent (free sim card for a phone service, 1 glass screen protector & one cheap plastic cover for the phone) that I didn't order and didn't want plus I also sent it all back so I got two defective phones and swindled out of $109 so beware of B&H selling known defects and then swindling long time customers.   Again, hard to believe that 2 brand new phones had the same exact problem.   So I bought a g7 play from somewhere else that works fine thankfully but I guess some vendors buy defective stuff or I don't know what happened.   But overall poor showing by Motorola and B&H, I now have a phone that I can actually hear people speaking when they call, but I got ripped off and heavily inconvenienced in the process.

Has ownership/management changed at B&H? When I was working on projects as a documentary videographer in 1997 in California I bought all my equipment at their Brooklyn (?) store (in person when possible) and found their return policies reasonable, their prices fair - just some of the staff a bit snarky.

Options

38 Posts

08-20-2019

CA

24 Signins

543 Page Views

• Message 32 of 83

2019-08-21, 1:35 AM

wrote:

Hi JCS68,

Try doing the factory data reset without restoring your apps. Backup your files before doing the reset. Once done, don't reinstall your apps instead, try putting them back one at a time until you find out which app is causing an issue. 

Hi Mickmk7,

Are we talking about the media volume or the ringtone volume? Please note that the notification/ringtone/alarm are in the default ascending mode. The sound will be low at the very beginning and then it ascends to louder volume.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

How could apps be solving the problem in my case anyway? I haven't added anything! This Moto G7 Power came in the mail yesterday. All I did was update the OS upon instructions from Motorola, remove one or two Google apps that I didn't ask for and right off, my very first call (next morning, i.e. today) I found the phone barely usable. Could it be that Motorola or Google have inlcuded troublesome apps? Unintentionally of course - no sarcasm intended.

Please explain.

Options

8729 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1026 Signins

136102 Page Views

• Views: 136102
  • Message 33 of 83

Re: The 'me moto too' movement

2019-08-23, 15:41 PM

Hello Everyone, 

I can see some of you tried testing it in safe mode and have noticed an improvement - That could be an indication an app is causing this. We would still recommend trying the factory data reset without restore so we can isolate that as a factor. Backup your files before the reset. Otherwise, try uninstalling your apps (recently updated apps and installed apps) until we find out which app might be causing this. Please let me know thanks.

Factory Data Reset:
Settings > System > Reset options > Factory Reset

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2019

US

21 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 34 of 83

2019-08-23, 15:57 PM

I did the Factory Reset but there was no difference.  In order to call someone and actually hear them, I have to put it on speaker.  Also, I contacted Motorola about this and all they suggest is a new phone

Options

38 Posts

08-20-2019

CA

24 Signins

543 Page Views

• Message 35 of 83

2019-08-26, 1:26 AM

Well, just calling customer service (in El Salvador it turns out, even though I bought this phone in Canada from Motorola) about doubled the volume of the sound coming out of the earpiece on my Moto G7. Curiously, the alarm, notifications signals etc were Ok from the start. Plus everyone I called locally said that they could hear me fine (not the very first call though - long-distance to Europe).

Options

7 Posts

04-23-2019

US

21 Signins

131 Page Views

• Message 36 of 83

2019-08-27, 0:54 AM

Well, I've given up.  Motorola is going to replace my phone.  They said that since I tried it in safe mode and did a factory reset with no difference that it's worth trying one more phone.  When I get the next one, I am not going to bring over everything from my previous phone (or try not to - I think this phone took in my previous apps automatically somehow).  That way, if the sound works from day one, I'll know from adding apps when the problem begins (and if I can get it to work again once I delete the bad app, or if I have to replace it again).  

Has anyone else gone through all the apps to find at least one that causes this problem?  Seems that it's pretty much been decided that an app is causing the problem, but that's as far as it goes.  And Motorola is keeping mum about this, at least with me.  They keep insisting that safe mode and/or factory reset SHOULD solve the problem.  I'm not so sure the problem resets once it begins, but who knows.  

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated since I'm not done with this phone yet.

Options

17982 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2254 Signins

54277 Page Views

• Views: 54277
  • Message 37 of 83

2019-08-27, 15:08 PM

wrote:

Well, I've given up.  Motorola is going to replace my phone.  They said that since I tried it in safe mode and did a factory reset with no difference that it's worth trying one more phone.  When I get the next one, I am not going to bring over everything from my previous phone (or try not to - I think this phone took in my previous apps automatically somehow).  That way, if the sound works from day one, I'll know from adding apps when the problem begins (and if I can get it to work again once I delete the bad app, or if I have to replace it again).  

Has anyone else gone through all the apps to find at least one that causes this problem?  Seems that it's pretty much been decided that an app is causing the problem, but that's as far as it goes.  And Motorola is keeping mum about this, at least with me.  They keep insisting that safe mode and/or factory reset SHOULD solve the problem.  I'm not so sure the problem resets once it begins, but who knows.  

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated since I'm not done with this phone yet.

Hi.

There are a lot of things that could be going on here. Let me try to list the issues, but if you haven't already, please go into Settings > Moto Help > Hardware test > Speaker. If you can hear the sound there, the phone itself is fine and there is something else going on. But even if you can't hear it well there, please check the items below since some of them could impact the volume even during the testing.

1. Screen protector and/or case is blocking the speaker.
  2. Lint or other debris has gotten into the speaker port. (Be careful removing it so you don't damage the speaker. We don't recommend using compressed air as it can cause moisture to condense in your speaker port.)
  3. You are using the handset on a call, holding it to your ear. You relax your hand and the earpiece slips away from the "sweet spot" over your ear. I do this ALL THE TIME. :smileywink:  By adjusting how I hold the phone, the volume in my ear comes back.
  4. The proper volume rocker is not turned up properly. Press the volume button and then the little gear icon at the bottom of the screen to see the various volume adjustments available.
  5. Some app has used the speaker and not properly released it. This is rare today but was fairly common in the early days of Android. Test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue. To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.
  6. You can't hear the ringtone when it first begins, but it grows louder. This is by design, as a safety feature to protect your hearing. It cannot be turned off.
  7. It is possible (but unlikely for a new phone) that the speaker is faulty or damaged. In that case, a repair may be necessary.  

If none of this helps, please provide some details so we can sort out the problems. 

• Confirm you have Moto G7 Power -- or which phone you are using.
  • What specific audio have you tested? Voice calls, music on the phone and the app used, streaming audio (YouTube, etc.), ringtones, etc.
  • What exactly was the issue? Low volume, no volume? Intermittent problem or all the time?
  • If it was good and then got bad, can you remember any changes you may have made? Removed or added apps? Which ones?
  • Does the audio work on BT? Speaker? Earpiece? Wired headset?

Thanks!

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

7 Posts

04-23-2019

US

21 Signins

131 Page Views

• Message 38 of 83

2019-08-27, 16:56 PM

Wow I wish you had written all of this when I first posted.  My phone is already packed up to go back to Motorola, but if I have a similar problem with the new phone I will know what to try, thanks

Options

1 Posts

08-31-2019

US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 39 of 83

Re: Moto G7 Power Sound Problem

2019-08-31, 5:47 AM

You guys always act surprised when you hear of sound issues with this phone. Just tell your people to do a software update and fix this nonsense. Cannot hear text notifcations when screen is off. Phone will not vibrate when texts come in. Same thing everywhere.

Please tell us you are working on a fix for this, it is not just the two people on this page having issues. A quick search will show you this is a problem with the phone. 

Options

8 Posts

08-25-2019

US

3 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 40 of 83

Re: New Moto g7 Power sound is barely loud enough

2019-09-01, 18:26 PM

I ordered a Moto g7 power after I dropped my g6 and broke the screen and it distored the sound.  I have tried to use the new g7, but after a couple of months, I got so frustrated with the ear and sound quality that I went back to my old broken g6.  I tried downloading sound boosting apps and nothing helped.  I felt like I got what I paid for, so I didn't try to report it and get a new phone.  I just figured all the g7's were this way and there was no point in getting another one.  I finally ordered a new ear/loud speaker ear piece and I am going to try to replace the old one and hope for the best.  I have never done this before and it looks scary, but if I want to use my new phone that I will be paying on for 2 years, I need to do something.  Has anyone else tried replacing the ear speaker?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save