04-29-2019

US

14 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 1 of 25

Ongoing problems with speaker and receiver on new G7 phone

2019-04-29, 16:46 PM

Hi, I have a new G7 which consistently experiences the loss of the ability to play media over the speaker.   I occasionally lose the receiver function as well 

Speaker Problems/diagnosis 

1. It never fails the 'speaker' portion of the hardware test
  2. Other sounds always work over the speaker (alarm, etc.) 
  3. Media and other sounds always work over Bluetooth
  4. Media and other sounds always work over Headset
  5. It also does not work in Safe Mode 

Receiver problem

1. It fails the hardware test for receiver in Moto help 
  2. Receiver won't work in Safe Mode 
  3. Bluetooth and headset work (for calls, etc.) even when Receiver won't work 

As above, I've tried safe mode, tried full system reboot (it worked for about 5 days) and can't clear partition cache (not an option on this phone) 

About ready to return the phone as it's incredibly frustrating to have so many issues with a new device. 

Solved! See the solution
Options

8712 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1024 Signins

135957 Page Views

• Views: 135957
  • Message 2 of 25

Re: Ongoing problems with speaker and receiver on new G7 phone

2019-05-01, 19:40 PM

Hi CBEVG,

Thanks for posting. This is odd. I appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you've tried and done so far. I'd like to confirm, is there totally no sound or just a low sound? What media app are you using? When you play a song, does it show playing? Is there any error? Did you install your apps/files to your phone from your previous phone? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

04-29-2019

US

14 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 3 of 25

2019-05-02, 21:31 PM

Hi Rich,

It is definitely odd and it's sporadic.  

-I did bring over apps from Google (and thusly my Samsung S8).  I pulled all the old Samsung/Verizon garbage off this phone (I'm on Fi). 

-It's not low sound, it's no sound--when this problem occurs it's 100% no sound from speaker for media only & receiver for hardware test 

-This is true in normal mode and safe mode--so I kind of think it's not a non-standard app issue? 

Here's what's strange:

-When speaker won't play ANY media (tried all, ones I loaded + the ones that came on device) it ALSO won't make sound out of the receiver (including during the hardware test) 

-Even when speaker won't play media, it always plays system sounds (alarms, 'Hello Moto' on hardware test, etc.) on speaker no matter what 

-Bluetooth and headphone jack always work for everything (irrespective of speaker playing media/not playing media) 

It's pretty frustrating--I love the phone and the clean OS.  Don't love the on/off drama with the speaker.  

Options

6 Posts

04-29-2019

US

14 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 4 of 25

2019-05-02, 21:34 PM

Also missed your question--when the problem is happening it shows the media playing but no sound over speaker.

One more thing, this started getting flaky before I did a factory reset, after the reset it was good for a few days, then went flaky again.  Both times when playing media it would stop playing/hang up momentarily (all media, YouTube, Audible, Spotify, etc.)--I'd bump it with my finger (hit play again) and I'd momentarily have movement & sound then it would lock up/ultimately stop playing sound 100%. 

Again--none of the above happens on BlueTooth or headphone--just speaker. 

Options

8712 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1024 Signins

135957 Page Views

• Views: 135957
  • Message 5 of 25

2019-05-03, 16:39 PM

Hi CBEVG,

I still can't tell if this is a hardware failure or not since it's intermittent, but it's more likely a hardware failure to me. Did you restore your apps after doing the reset? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

04-29-2019

US

14 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 6 of 25

2019-05-04, 17:17 PM

I did restore them.  Things were good for a few days and then it went back to no Media on Speaker and No Reciever on anything (including Hardware Test and phone calls).   

I tried one more reset last night and the speaker/receiver never worked, so it seems you are correct and it's a hardware problem.  How do I get my phone replaced?

Options

6 Posts

04-29-2019

US

14 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 7 of 25

2019-05-16, 17:10 PM

I wanted to get back to the group on this topic.  Last week I realized that after using the headphone jack that the speaker would sometimes briefly work afterwards. 

Additionally, I found that after using Android Auto in my car that the speaker and receiver would typically return to normal operation as well (for a short period of time media files played & phone worked normally).

As a result, I decided to delete Android Auto (as it was an inherited application from my S8 when I moved to the G7).  Since reloading the Android Auto app directly from the Play Store the phone has been perfect.  It's strange (because Safe Mode should have done the same thing--but as above it still did not work in Safe Mode) but I am pleased it works as I like the phone.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

04-29-2019

US

14 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 8 of 25

2019-06-03, 21:49 PM

I was unfortunately wrong, the problem returned.   I think there is a hardware or firmware problem with the speaker that keeps it from functioning properly--the fact that it also knocks out the receiver on the phone makes it a non-starter.  I'm going to return this phone and get a replacement.  

Options

3 Posts

11-23-2019

AR

3 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 9 of 25

Re: No sound from speakers

2019-11-23, 1:46 AM

Anyone find the solution to this problem? I already do a factory reset, a hardware test a safe mode test, everything stay the same my speaker doesn't work, I see that allot of people have the same issue. But I don't see any answers from Motorola

Options

3 Posts

11-23-2019

AR

3 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 10 of 25

2019-11-23, 1:47 AM

This is not a solution, pleas Motorola do you have a solution for this problem?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save