Options

3 Posts

09-15-2020

GB

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 8

Pin Lock changed overnight! How do I get in?

2020-09-15, 9:20 AM

hey, so while I was sleeping, somehow my pin changed. NOBODY in my house did it! Worried! How do I get back into my phone? Is it an update thing? It was working with my fingerprint - I didn't realise it had changed, and then my yahoo mail account had signed out so I had to get back in Isorted that out and sent the email I was hoping to send and put the phone down. I then picked it up a little later and it asked me for my pin to enable fingerprint, which it does often. i did put in my pin but it is now not recognised!

Failing getting in I cannot even access the recovery! If I follow the instructions ie enter boot loader and then got to recovery and then volume down and power, or volume up and power, it just reboots!

Options

3 Posts

09-15-2020

GB

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Pin Lock changed overnight! How do I get in?

2020-09-15, 9:47 AM
Failing getting in I cannot even access the recovery! If I follow the instructions ie enter boot loader and then got to recovery and then volume down and power, or volume up and power, it just reboots!
Options

10639 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1118 Signins

151099 Page Views

• Views: 151099
  • Message 3 of 8

Re:Pin Lock changed overnight! How do I get in?

2020-09-15, 12:34 PM

Hi belliboep,

This shouldn't happen and an update wouldn't cause anything like this. But let me help you with this. If your phone is not accepting your lock code at all, the only option we can try is to do an external reset. Your phone shouldn't restart when going into recovery mode. Please make sure to follow the steps for external reset in this link

If you need further guidance on how to get through the No command screen, you can watch this video. Note that this process will delete everything on your phone. 

I hope that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

3 Posts

09-15-2020

GB

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-09-16, 8:45 AM

OK, I did manage to reset the phone, any ideas as to how my pin changed, it genuinely didn't have any fingers on it while I was asleep ? the phone now has a completely new software and UI.

I'm unable to restore the backup of my phone.

Options

215 Posts

08-15-2020

GB

129 Signins

2595 Page Views

• Views: 2595
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-09-16, 10:07 AM

Bizarre incident and happy for you that the reset worked.
Don't want to sound alarmist but if that happened to me I would review all security.
Check security on Google account, make sure no new app permissions listed, create or change linked email for security alerts, maybe change fingerprints etc.

Phones are complex bundles of software so most likely a unique and benign incident.

Wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution especially if you have any payment or banking apps.
Make sure you also have good anti-malware protection.

Options

10639 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1118 Signins

151099 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-09-16, 12:44 PM

Hi belliboep,

Thanks for updating me. As for the reason, it will be hard to tell that. It is unusual and likely would not happen unless the code was jumbled or totally incorrect. Though, I'm glad you're able to access your phone again. Please don't hesitate to post again in case you need further assistance. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

09-19-2020

US

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-09-19, 15:24 PM

I had a similar incident happen to me on 09/18/2020.

I tried to unlock my g7 play with my fingerprint and got the message enter password to enable fingerprint.  This was odd because I never setup a password on my phone.   I prefer to use a pattern with my backup being a pin number.   Usually the phone would request the pattern be entered to enable fingerprint.

I tried using the pin and it didn't work.   I thought maybe it was asking for the Gmail account password but that didn't work.  Eventually I had to factory reset the phone using the Recovery Mode.

Then I found that my latest Google backup was locked by a password.  Again I never setup a password on my phone.

Fortunately I had an older backup, before the Android 10 update, available and that backup correctly requested my pattern to restore my data.

I don't know what is up with Android 10 but just to be safe I have setup a password on the restored phone.    

Options

10639 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1118 Signins

151099 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-09-21, 13:30 PM

Hi JB_g7play,

That's odd. Thanks for reporting though. I will keep monitoring this. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete