Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g7 play / moto g7 / moto g7 power / moto g7 plus
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

10-11-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 4

Viewing .MPO images

2019-10-11, 11:28 AM

Is there any app that will open and display .MPO files on the MOTOG7 as some claim to do? I expressly bought this phone and a VR headset on the understanding that that was possible but I have been unable to get any to work as claimed. When I select a .MPO file to open, I get the message that it can't be opened. I also get a message saying that there is no app installed on the phone that will do so although I have two installed whose creators say they will.

I have no difficulty displaying these images on an LG 3D TV and via a Panasonic player. 

It would be very odd (and rather galling) if a device that is designed to display side-by-side stereoscopic images for viewing in 3D in a VR headset is unable to display .MPO files, given that that is the most widespread format for storing and displaying such images. 

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Viewing .MPO images

2019-10-11, 13:56 PM

wrote:

Is there any app that will open and display .MPO files on the MOTOG7 as some claim to do? I expressly bought this phone and a VR headset on the understanding that that was possible but I have been unable to get any to work as claimed. When I select a .MPO file to open, I get the message that it can't be opened. I also get a message saying that there is no app installed on the phone that will do so although I have two installed whose creators say they will.

I have no difficulty displaying these images on an LG 3D TV and via a Panasonic player. 

It would be very odd (and rather galling) if a device that is designed to display side-by-side stereoscopic images for viewing in 3D in a VR headset is unable to display .MPO files, given that that is the most widespread format for storing and displaying such images. 

Hi 3Dfan,

Thank you for writing to us, we are not sure if it supports the .MPO file. Let me ask around. In the meantime, you can try MPO Viewer for Cardboard app to see if that helps?

Best regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

3 Posts

10-11-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-10-11, 14:26 PM

I have MPO viewer installed. On its website it says it is compatible with this phone but in fact it neither finds nor opens MPO files and when I select one I get the message that it can't be opened.

SOLUTION

As either the app or the phone appears to be unable to handle MPOs, the solution is to convert them into side-by-side JPGs which both handle without a problem. MPO is a container that holds multipler images. They can be a stereoscopic pair of photos taken with a 3D camera. These can be separated and recombined in other formats including JPGs with the the left and right photos placed side-by-side. When displayed in a 3D viewer such as a VR headset, they will be seen as 3D images, which is what I was aiming for. I used a free little app, stphmkre from Wineskin, which can do batch conversions on both PCs and Macs. So that solves my problem.

That said, I can't help wondering, if I can do this in a matter of minutes with a little free app, why can't the makers of Android smartphones make and build in an app that does the same on the fly? It's hardly rocket science. 

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-10-14, 19:13 PM

Hi 3Dfan,

Thanks for your reply. Glad you're able to find a workaround. We'll pass your feedback along but no guarantee any changes. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms