Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g7 play / moto g7 / moto g7 power / moto g7 plus
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-05-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎06-05-2020
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 9

moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-05, 18:28 PM

hi all, i have a moto g7, have been using it for ~6 months now.  recently, every single person i talk to on the phone complains about hearing their own voice as an echo about a half second after they say it.  there is no echo on my side.  i switched phones with my wife to see for myself, and sure enough, every single thing that is said is echoed exactly back into their ear piece.  looking further, it ONLY happens during regular phone talking.  it does not echo during bluetooth calls, it does not echo with a plugged in headset/earphones, it does not echo when on speakerphone.  it only echoes during normal phone calls directly through the phone while not on speakerphone.  for grins, i also tried to make phone calls through wi-fi apps like facebook messenger/what's app.  there is no echo through those apps.  it ONLY echoes during normal phone calls through my network (AT&T).  my wife has the exact same phone that we got on the exact same day, and only i get the problem (it's not a signal or network problem since she has no problems from the same house/tower/age and model of phone).  i have also tried it on different towers (my job is ~20 miles away from the house), and have the same problem.

 

i have already re-started the phone multiple times, tried it in SAFE MODE, removed/reset the SIM card, and even did a full factory reset without re-installing any apps.  i still have the problem.  i was assuming it was a hardware issue, but then i would think that it should have the same problem when talking on wi-fi apps...but it doesn't.  i am completely out of further ideas.  please help!

Reply
Options

13492 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1277 Signins

173335 Page Views

  • Posts: 13492
  • Registered: ‎03-05-2018
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 173335
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-05, 18:45 PM

Hi ayoung101,

 

I appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you've tried. Sounds like this similar to this post. Are you using Phone app by Google? I wonder if you have this feature and it's enabled. Can you verify and check -- Here's the link.

 

Another thing we can try just to test this, can you download a third-party phone app? Let me know if there's improvement. Thanks.

 

Thanks.

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support



Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Options

4 Posts

06-05-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎06-05-2020
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-06, 17:48 PM

hello.  yes, i am using the standard phone app that comes straight from google.  i downloaded and tried 2 other highly rated and highly downloaded phone apps from the play store and unfortunately they both exhibited the exact same problem.  as for the recording a call feature, i do not have that feature on my phone, or at least i couldn't find it.  any other suggestions?  

 

@ Agent_Rich wrote:
 

 

Hi ayoung101,

 

I appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you've tried. Sounds like this similar to this post. Are you using Phone app by Google? I wonder if you have this feature and it's enabled. Can you verify and check -- Here's the link.

 

Another thing we can try just to test this, can you download a third-party phone app? Let me know if there's improvement. Thanks.

 

Thanks.

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

 

Reply
Options

4 Posts

06-05-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎06-05-2020
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-06, 21:31 PM

update:  the hole at the bottom of my screen on the front of the phone (see attached picture) seems to have some positive effect while covering/uncovering with my finger...but i assume that is the primary mic and not the noise cancellation mic? not sure why it would make a difference while using speakerphone, since the same mic should be used.  when i cover it with my finger, the caller doesn't hear an echo, when i uncover it, echo comes back.  so it appears i have a band-aid, but what should i do about it now?

 

Reply
Options

13492 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1277 Signins

173335 Page Views

  • Posts: 13492
  • Registered: ‎03-05-2018
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 173335
  • Message 5 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-08, 14:25 PM

Hi ayoung101,

 

Thanks for your reply and for the sample photo. Yes, that's the primary microphone. I wonder if the phone case is causing this. Can you please try removing the phone case, make a test call and let me know if it's still the same. 

 

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support



Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Options

4 Posts

06-05-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

  • Posts: 4
  • Registered: ‎06-05-2020
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-08, 15:42 PM

that was the first thing i tried a long time ago.  no effect whatsoever.  the only thing that "fixes" it is if i cover it with my finger, and then they can't hear me talk.  i tried covering it with a piece of tape, and the echo is still present, so i have to push down with my finger with some force to stop the echo.  it would make sense that something is physically broken...except that i do not have the problem when making calls through facebook messenger/what's app when i put the phone to my ear.  that is why i am so confused.  and apparently there are dozens of people out there on the internet with the exact same/very similar problem.  very strange.  not sure what to do next.

 

@ Agent_Rich wrote:
 

 

Hi ayoung101,

 

Thanks for your reply and for the sample photo. Yes, that's the primary microphone. I wonder if the phone case is causing this. Can you please try removing the phone case, make a test call and let me know if it's still the same. 

 

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

 

Reply
Options

5168 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3300 Signins

75821 Page Views

  • Posts: 5168
  • Registered: ‎02-11-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 75821
  • Message 7 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2020-06-08, 18:16 PM

@ ayoung101 wrote:
 

 

that was the first thing i tried a long time ago.  no effect whatsoever.  the only thing that "fixes" it is if i cover it with my finger, and then they can't hear me talk.  i tried covering it with a piece of tape, and the echo is still present, so i have to push down with my finger with some force to stop the echo.  it would make sense that something is physically broken...except that i do not have the problem when making calls through facebook messenger/what's app when i put the phone to my ear.  that is why i am so confused.  and apparently there are dozens of people out there on the internet with the exact same/very similar problem.  very strange.  not sure what to do next.

 

@ Agent_Rich wrote:
 

 

Hi ayoung101,

 

Thanks for your reply and for the sample photo. Yes, that's the primary microphone. I wonder if the phone case is causing this. Can you please try removing the phone case, make a test call and let me know if it's still the same. 

 

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

 

 

Based on your description, I would say it's potentially a mic failure on the front mic. A lot of 3rd party apps will use the other mics on the phone so while testing those other apps is a good data point, it doesn't always identify the root problem. At this point, I would see if you can see anything blocking the mic, dust/lint. If not then I would say unfortunately your device will have to be sent for service.

 

-Tom



Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Options

1 Posts

04-06-2021

Belgium

2 Signins

5 Page Views

  • Posts: 1
  • Registered: ‎04-06-2021
  • Location: Belgium
  • Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2021-04-06, 16:47 PM

Hi Rich,

My wife had the same problem, and indeed it was the case which caused the problem. The case didn't seem to have all te holes where they should be. 
After finding the cause I simply perforated a hole at the exact spot and now everything is ok.

 

Thanks for your tip about the case !

 

Best regards, 

 

Godfried 

Antwerp, Belgium

Reply
Options

13492 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1277 Signins

173335 Page Views

  • Posts: 13492
  • Registered: ‎03-05-2018
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 173335
  • Message 9 of 9

Re:moto g7, caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time

2021-04-07, 13:20 PM

Hi Wollybus

 

Glad you saw this thread and our suggestions worked for you. Should you need help in the future, please do not hesitate to post. Thanks.

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support



Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms