Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g7 play / moto g7 / moto g7 power / moto g7 plus
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-02-2020

United States of America

15 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 1 of 7

should there be amazon junk on a retail phone?

2020-08-02, 20:07 PM

it's an unlocked g7 play purchased on motorola.com.  it was not advertised on motorola.com as an amazon phone, no mention whatsoever it would come preloaded with that crap.  the box was sealed with a motorola sticker and nowhere on it says anything about amazon.  the phone's 'settings -> system -> about phone' says "software variant: amz" and  "software channel: amazon".

I disabled the apps but apparently they cannot be deleted and who knows what else amazon slips inside these the user will never know about.  and from what I've read android updates will come with whatever tweaks amazon wants, like deciding to show ads or who knows what.

so is this how motorola does it now?  or whoever originally packed the box at the factory accidentally put it in there?  or maybe it's a refurb/used amazon phone motorola sold me as "new"?

Options

43 Posts

06-15-2019

United States of America

46 Signins

414 Page Views

• Views: 414
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:should there be amazon junk on a retail phone?

2020-08-02, 21:41 PM
Should say retail channel not Amazon.
Options

6 Posts

08-02-2020

United States of America

15 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-08-02, 22:01 PM

great, so must've been a mistake.  now what I'm worried about is doing an exchange :)  for all I know they'll send a refurbished phone (like a 'warranty' situation) even though I never actually got the new one I paid for.  do you know if it's better to do a refund then rebuy?  or risk that the exchange will truly be a new phone?

Options

367 Posts

10-12-2012

United States of America

902 Signins

22078 Page Views

• Views: 22078
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-08-03, 0:11 AM

Don't understand your indignation.  Amazon apps have been pre-installed on retus Verizon phones since Android 4. 

Options

6 Posts

08-02-2020

United States of America

15 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-08-03, 20:50 PM

so you're saying when buying unlocked directly from motorola.com it's expected it will be an amazon phone too?  I did not know that.

my issue isn't so much the unwanted amazon crap, it's that apparently "software channel: amazon" phones like what motorola sent include tweaks to updates amazon wants in them.  so others get a clean update, for my updates maybe amazon decides I should start seeing ads.  or amazon wants some new lump of bloatware loaded onto my phone that can't be disabled.

I could maybe live with the phone as it is only if motorola changes or turns off "software channel: amazon" on mine.  but I know they can't or won't do that.

Options

43 Posts

06-15-2019

United States of America

46 Signins

414 Page Views

• Views: 414
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-08-04, 0:38 AM
My g7 was bought unlocked at Best Buy. It states Retail channel in details. I manually had to add Amazon Prime app.
Options

387 Posts

08-30-2018

United States of America

894 Signins

18758 Page Views

• Views: 18758
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-08-04, 14:18 PM

@ ted88 wrote:

so you're saying when buying unlocked directly from motorola.com it's expected it will be an amazon phone too?  I did not know that.

my issue isn't so much the unwanted amazon crap, it's that apparently "software channel: amazon" phones like what motorola sent include tweaks to updates amazon wants in them.  so others get a clean update, for my updates maybe amazon decides I should start seeing ads.  or amazon wants some new lump of bloatware loaded onto my phone that can't be disabled.

I could maybe live with the phone as it is only if motorola changes or turns off "software channel: amazon" on mine.  but I know they can't or won't do that.

Hello,

I'd like the help you further.  I've sent you a private message, when you get a moment can you please take a look?

Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms