Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roundyuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 152
Message 1 of 8

Bluetooth Lower Power (BLE) Issues...?

I have an issue with a device that uses bluetooth lower power (BLE) on my G7 Play - I have no issues with connecting to my car, Garmin, etc.

I've been working with a test team at Beeline with their new Beeline Moto Product and have moved across from iOS; i've also tested on a RETGB device as mine is RETEU2, same issue.

The guys at Beeline seem to have issues with lots of Motorola devices and BLE; and in fact looking across this forum lots of people reporting issues with bluetooth lower power devices on previous Moto G devices.

This is a real bummer for me, as the Beeline is effectivley un-useable :-( and the problem seems more down to the phone itself.

Having just has to send my phone off for a software update repair I am getting so depressed with this phone now, I want to love it I really do, but it just keeps throwing up issues :-(

Highlighted
roundyuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 105
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bluetooth Lower Power (BLE) Issues...?

Anything from the Motorola team? Seems to be a common issue across Moto G devices when you trawl the internet.

The dev guys at Beeline just can't understand what the Moto devices are doing when it comes to BLE, it seems like they drop the connection every 30 seconds....

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 61
Message 3 of 8

Hi roundyuk,

Thanks for the post. I'd like to get more details on this. Can you please confirm the make and model of the Bluetooth devices? How many devices do you connect to your phone all at the same time? Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

roundyuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 53
Message 4 of 8

The Bluetooth device is a Beeline Moto.

The only device connected at the time of the issue is the Beeline.

I have been testing with a pre production Beeline, but switched to a production unit this week, and the problem appeared to stop. Although today it started again, but for the first hour or so of my ride it was fine, the only thing I can think of is when the battery dropped the BLE became more aggressive?

The guys at Beeline have seen the problem across a number of Motorola G devices, they believe it is down to how you are implementing the BLE protocol and the keep alives.

roundyuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 38
Message 5 of 8

Connected again with the phone full battery this morning and it's back to doing the disconnect every 30 seconds or so.

Really frustrating...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 22
Message 6 of 8

Hi roundyuk,

Have you tried testing another device? What's the exact make and model of your Beeline moto? I would suggest, unpairing all Bluetooth connections you have with your phone (Settings > Connected Devices > Unpair all paired Bluetooth devices). Once done, Re-pair back your motor, and observe if there's an improvement. Also, I'd like to confirm, does it matter when you have the phone placed to a different spot on your vehicle? Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

roundyuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17
Message 7 of 8

It makes no odds where the device is placed, even sitting inside the house the behaviour is the same.

This evening I opened the application (Beeline) and the application just sat trying to connect to the device, and the device was turned on - I turned off and back on the Bluetooth on the Moto G and the moment the bluetooth came on it then connected to the device.

Then once connected the device would disconnect again every 30 secs or so.

The Beeline device works perfectly and stays connected to an iPhone 6 without any issues; the moment you turn off the device it disconnects, the moment you turn it on it re-connects, and maintains a stable connection with no disconnects like the Moto G.

Unpaired from the iPhone, repaired with the Moto G, again it connects then after about 30 secs disconnects and reconnects and then continues with the disconnect-reconnect loop.

I've seen various forum posts about people that have similar issues with devices that use BLE, I have been working with the guys at Beeline and they have had issue all the time with Moto devices - again as stated, they believe the issue to to do with how Motorola are implementing the BLE protocol (or something)...

Would it be worth taking some Bluetooth HCI snoop logs or anything like that?

roundyuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2
Message 8 of 8

Hey Rich, here is my bluetooth log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xt6hrf3ipsqcro/hci_snoop20190918204454.cfa?dl=0 

I started bluetooth, the device connected and did some disconnect/reconnects without me turning off bluetooth.

I don't really know what I am looking at but you can see some patterns, error responces etc.

Hopefully you can engage with someone on your teams that understand this stuff?

Top Kudoed Authors