Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icon52
What's DOS?
Views: 816
Message 1 of 8

G7 power microphone not working

New G7 power phone, everything appeared great until I made my first call. 

Testing use of talk to text also failed. 

Recording video there is sound but no other apps appear able to access a functional microphone. 

I have tried safe mode but it still doesn't work. 

A hardware test of the microphone using the Moto help app failed.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 739
Message 2 of 8

Re: G7 power microphone not working

Hi Icon52,

Thank you for posting, this is odd. Looks like the specific device issue to me. Our best bet would be to send for a replacement. 

Note: Please make sure you are not covering the bottom mic from your finger or you have any case/cover. Make sure nothing is blocking the mic. If the tests still fail then the next option would be exchanging your device.

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

Highlighted
tiendye
Blue Screen Again
Views: 642
Message 3 of 8

Microphone Issue

I bought a brand new Moto G7 from the Motorola site and was excited to receive it. Everything was perfect except one major issue - the microphone sounded as though I was in a tornado. I made a call where the receiving end had to hang up and send me a message relying that all they heard was a loud crackling noise. To my disappointment, the hardware test reflected the same fate. I had to return my device and was told to reorder another device. I don't think I'll be doing this as I need a dependable phone and for $300 the fear of the microphone messing up is very scary. This saddens me as I had brand loyalty to Lenovo and Motorola yet the fear of a defective phone leaves me with few options. This also isn't the first time I've had issues with a Motorola's device microphone. I had a G5 that had to be replaced as well with microphone and headphone jack issues.

I hope others find better luck with this device and that this was a totally random and rare occurrence as it seems to be an amazing phone other than the microphone issue I experienced. 

tiendye
Blue Screen Again
Views: 604
Message 4 of 8

Similar issue with my brand new G7 but the microphone had loud static so that others couldn't hear me

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 582
Message 5 of 8

Re: Microphone Issue

Hi tiendye,

Thanks for posting. Does it only happen with regular phone calls? Have you checked your signal strength during that time? Try testing the mic in the Moto Help app > Diagnosis > Hardware Test > Microphone. Let me know if there's a difference. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

tiendye
Blue Screen Again
Views: 580
Message 6 of 8

Re: Microphone Issue

It happened straight out of the box, all the time. I did the hardware test within 30 minutes of receiving the brand new phone and in the playback all you could hear was crackling. I even did the test in safe mode with an agent on the phone and it happened. They deemed the device defective and had me send it back in. I'm debating on placing another order for a new one but I'm afraid of receiving a defective device again. For the price and the amount of shipping time it's a lot to keep getting defective phones sadly. 

hollap
Paper Tape
Views: 552
Message 7 of 8

I also have this issue straight out of the box. Microphone doesn't work on calls. Full 4G signal, or I've also tried WiFi calling on T-Mobile. This is a device purchased directly from T-Mobile. I verified the test above works: Try testing the mic in the Moto Help app > Diagnosis > Hardware Test > Microphone. But while on calls, it doesn't. Software Build number PC029.114-54-2. Please help.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 516
Message 8 of 8

Hi tiendye,

Thanks for further explaining. I appreciate the observations and testings you've tried. Have you tried recording a video using the default camera app? Does it sound the same? I would agree to have the phone replaced/swapped, possible a microphone failure.

Hi hollap,

Thanks for posting on this thread. Does it also happen with just regular phone calls? Is it only happening with specific contact? How about calls from third-party apps such as Messenger, is there any difference? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors