Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamSt
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 1 of 17

Moto G7 - 2 features needed - Compass and Casting

Hi,

I need a new phone, considering Moto G7 or G7+, but there are 2 features are essential for me.

1.  Compass - Does the Moto G7 have a compass feature (offline - not GPS)

2.  Casting (MirrorCast - not chromecast)..I need to display 'cast' directly to smartTV e.g. samsung, or cast to Microsoft Display adapter (sorry I don't know the technical specification for this -- maybe its called WiFi Direct?). I dont want to use a chromecast dongle. Does MotoG7 support this?

I have a Moto G5 and was disappointed that these 2 features were not supported. I think the phone is great apart from this, but need to ensure that my next phone includes these 2 features. 

Currently i need to resurect my old Nokia Lumia phone when I need these features.

Thanks for anyone to reply.

Graham

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 716
Message 2 of 17

Re: Moto G7 - 2 features needed - Compass and Casting

@GrahamSt wrote:

Hi,

I need a new phone, considering Moto G7 or G7+, but there are 2 features are essential for me.

1.  Compass - Does the Moto G7 have a compass feature (offline - not GPS)

2.  Casting (MirrorCast - not chromecast)..I need to display 'cast' directly to smartTV e.g. samsung, or cast to Microsoft Display adapter (sorry I don't know the technical specification for this -- maybe its called WiFi Direct?). I dont want to use a chromecast dongle. Does MotoG7 support this?

I have a Moto G5 and was disappointed that these 2 features were not supported. I think the phone is great apart from this, but need to ensure that my next phone includes these 2 features. 

Currently i need to resurect my old Nokia Lumia phone when I need these features.

Thanks for anyone to reply.

Graham

Hello Graham,

Thank you for your questions about the new Moto G7 family. First, I'm happy to see you were mostly happy with your Moto G5. As for the G7 and G7+, both do have a magnetometer (e-compass sensor). For casting, our phones still support Chromecast only. 

-Tom

GrahamSt
Paper Tape
Views: 687
Message 3 of 17

Tom,,

Thanks for the reply, good to know G7 has compass, but bad about the miracast. 

I have tried to use chromecast, but find it difficuilt to use, especially from a PC, and means I have to have a chromcast dongle and Microsoft dongle connected to my TV.

I need to use a PC or phone to display business presentations, files and media onto a tv or projector, chromecast just isn't up to this. Whereas my old Lumia and Blackberry used to function perfectly with miracast. Chromecast is just a messy solution, when older phones used to support miracast by default.

I'm sorry that I will have to look elswhere for my next phone to ensure that I get miracast features. (I don't want an iphone.)

Thanks again for swift and clear reply.

Regards

Graham (UK)

Slamor07
Paper Tape
Views: 657
Message 4 of 17

Newer phones here in US dont have many of the features that the Plus phones have had.

BRING PLUS PHONES TO USA

Sless
What's DOS?
Views: 584
Message 5 of 17

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to check that the UK edition of the Moto G7, G7 Power and G7 Plus all have compasses (magnetometers);  I ask as previous US models did but the UK models did not for some very short-sighted reason (we Brits also use our phones to navigate on foot, just like the rest of the World)?

Thanks

Motorola Admin
Views: 535
Message 6 of 17

@Sless wrote:

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to check that the UK edition of the Moto G7, G7 Power and G7 Plus all have compasses (magnetometers);  I ask as previous US models did but the UK models did not for some very short-sighted reason (we Brits also use our phones to navigate on foot, just like the rest of the World)?

Thanks

Thanks for reaching out. Here is the breakdown for e-compass (magnetometer) on the g7 family.

• moto g7 play - North America only
  • moto g7 - All regions (where sold)
  • moto g7 power - North America only
  • moto g7 plus - All regions (where sold)

-Tom

Spaceman117
Blue Screen Again
Views: 428
Message 7 of 17

Hi Tom,

I have just checked the Motorola UK site, and these are the specs for 3 Moto G models, I currently have the Moto G5s Plus and it has no compass, can you tell me where it says that the Moto G7 Plus has one. I would really like to purchase this phone but won't if it has no compass.

Moto G5s Plus

Sensors

Fingerprint reader
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Ambient Light
Proximity

Moto G6 Plus

Sensors

Fingerprint reader, accelerometer, gyroscope, ambient light, proximity, magnetometer, ultrasonic

Moto G7 Plus

Sensors

Fingerprint reader, Proximity, Accelerometer, Ambient light, Sensor hub, Gyroscope, Ultrasonic

Thanks in advance for your help,

David
Spaceman117
Blue Screen Again
Views: 422
Message 8 of 17

Hi Tom,

On the Motorola UK website, it does not mention that the Moto G7 Plus has a magnetometer, can you ease tell me who is correct, you or Motorola UK?

Thanks,

David
Sless
What's DOS?
Views: 386
Message 9 of 17

Hi Tom,

As others had already pointed out, the Moto G7 *UK* models that you state will have compass don't state that in the specs published in the Motorola UK site, e.g. see: https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g-gen-7#specs

Note the Motorola US Site's specs though do include magnetometer for the models' yoy suggested, so either the information  you have is wrong, or the UK Site is missing this feature in the relevant models specs; either way I don't currently have the confidence to order?

Please confirm again re. which Moto G7 UK models definitely inc. magnetometer and arrange for the UK site's specs to be corrected, else IllI need to look elsewhere.

Thanks

Motorola Admin
Views: 372
Message 10 of 17

@Sless wrote:

Hi Tom,

As others had already pointed out, the Moto G7 *UK* models that you state will have compass don't state that in the specs published in the Motorola UK site, e.g. see: https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g-gen-7#specs

Note the Motorola US Site's specs though do include magnetometer for the models' yoy suggested, so either the information  you have is wrong, or the UK Site is missing this feature in the relevant models specs; either way I don't currently have the confidence to order?

Please confirm again re. which Moto G7 UK models definitely inc. magnetometer and arrange for the UK site's specs to be corrected, else IllI need to look elsewhere.

Thanks

I'm aware and I'm standing behind my statement. I will see if I can get the UK pages updated correctly and apologize for any confusion.

-Tom

Top Kudoed Authors