Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angel76ph
Serial Port
Views: 222
Message 1 of 8

Moto G7 Plus a step back vs Moto G6 Plus

I have noticed that the Moto G7 Plus is actually a downgrade from the G6 Plus in some ways such as:

1. Slower LTE (Cat6 vs Cat12)

2. Slower CPU frequency (1800Mhz vs 2200Mhz)

3. Smaller camera pixel size (1.2um vs 1.4um)

4. Lack of dual pixel feature

5. Smaller battery (3000mAh vs 3200mAh).

Most things seems an upgrade but the ones aforemnetioned are too good to miss and "unsee" and to some they are quite significant.

I wonder what made Motorola decide on this? Is this what we can expect from a big company such as Lenovo with inferior specs (by 2019 standards of a mid-range phone)?

I also don't see evidence of Lenovo actually reassuring us potential buyers & users that updates to further enhance/improve/optimise the phone. (As proven on my wife's Moto G6 that updates are either slow or scarce or unsignificant)

So, my question is this: why still buy a Moto phone? Can we expext better updates in the future?

brontide
Punch Card
Views: 202
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto G7 Plus a step back vs Moto G6 Plus

The g6 and g7 are "enterprise ready", this means that they should be no more than 90 days behind the current security patch level.  The latest g6 release I could find was for Feb, 2019 which means they are compliant.  If you're not receiving updates you should look into it.

The g7 is still on Jan, 2019 and Motorola is two weeks away from being in violation of the android enterprise requirements.  Those still on Dec, 2018 should be raising hell with Motorola if your phone isn't updating.

It's a mid-range phone and there are likley to be drawbacks, but I've been shocked at how many variants of this phone exist and how many of them are missing one or more major features.

angel76ph
Serial Port
Views: 197
Message 3 of 8

A security update of every 90 days isn't good enough regardless if one is enterprise-ready or just being a midrange phone.

I don't know how Lenovo-Moto can get away with putting out inferior/backward specs and still be named as "best budget phone"b out there. It is simply mind boggling & incompatible with this year of many competitors.

I mentioned several things earlier and I strongly beleive that those features should be made and recognise as "basic features". 

Highlighted
brontide
Punch Card
Views: 190
Message 4 of 8

You forgot universal 5ghz Wifi, many of the non-US version only have 2.4ghz wifi.  In this day and age that seems like it should be a given.

While an update every 90 days is a bit of a lag and well behind other companies like Samsung, you should take it up with Google who sets the standards for the enterprise ready phones.  Frankly, for urgent patches, it should be no more than weeks behind the release not months.

EpicPhoenix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 169
Message 5 of 8

@angel76ph

I have noticed that the Moto G7 Plus is actually a downgrade from the G6 Plus in some ways such as:

1. Slower LTE (Cat6 vs Cat12)

2. Slower CPU frequency (1800Mhz vs 2200Mhz)

3. Smaller camera pixel size (1.2um vs 1.4um)

4. Lack of dual pixel feature

5. Smaller battery (3000mAh vs 3200mAh)

1. You're wrong. Snapdragon 630 (G6 Plus) and Snapdragon 636 (G7 Plus) are using the same modem (Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X12 LTE modem), therefore LTE speed can only be the same! No difference is possible!

2. Indeed lower frequency, but the Snapdragon 636 in the G7 Plus is roughly 40% quicker, uses LPDDR4 RAMs (quick and more efficient, compared to LPDDR3 on the Snapdragon 630 in the G6 Plus), more battery friendly cores, makes the battery last ~20% longer and it has a better GPU too.

3. This doesn't really tell anything. The G7 Plus has +4 MP, while it has a smaller pixel size, so it can be roughly the same. What we should really know is the sensor (the G7 Plus is using Sony IMX519, but I have no knowledge of the G6 Plus).

4. The G7 Plus has OIS, which is a more premium feature and I really doubt a dual-pixel PDAF can yield better results.

5. That's true, but the newer CPU should make up for it (more efficient). Screen on time is great for me, however I have insane standby battery drain (~15% in 8-9 hours), I hope that can be fixed eventually.

angel76ph
Serial Port
Views: 161
Message 6 of 8

My reply:

Re #1. According to ther website devicespecifications.com the G6 Plus does have a faster LTE speeds. Where did you find your information? And if your info is accurate then why Moto used the same LTE modem to the newer model in the first place? *head scratching*

Re #2. The SD636 maybe newer but it has the same 14nm structure. Being "40% quicker" doesn't make sense anymore in laymans terms these days. I don't beleive in benchmarks full stop. Newer doesn't necesarilly mean faster. Optimisations via updates mean more to me.

RE #3. We all know higher megapixels doesn't mean better-looking photos. But from what I know a bigger pixel size (G6 Plus) is superior to a smaller pixel size (G7 Plus). So, it can't be "roughly the same". And you mentioned the Sony sensor of the G7 Plus. Again, going back to #2 newer doesn't mean better. Optimisations via updates does . ( and so far Moto has been poor with updates).

RE #3 OIS doesn't make the autofocussing faster. I was more concerned about the speed of how the camera focuses and hunts for the shot. But  I hope we can both agree having OIS is an advantage in terms of the low-light quality and stabilization. But if the EIS (for both front & rear cameras) is well optimised (with again updates) then I'm halfway there. 

RE #4. For me a bigger battery capacity is still better than a samller one. Especially the battery optimisations are poor (with updates) bigger here is better. Remember, they are both 14nm, both LPDDR4 (yes they are...i checked) but G6 Plus has faster CPU frequency.

Comments?

EpicPhoenix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 156
Message 7 of 8

Alright, I'm not that type who really likes to go into arguments, and debates... Let me make this short.

Nothing can be more official for CPU comparison than Qualcomm's webpage:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-630-mobile-platform - 630 for G6 Plus

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-636-mobile-platform - 636 for G7 Plus

There's just no way a Cortex A53 (or 8 to be exact) core can be as quick or efficient as a Kyro 260.

For the camera the only way to compare it, is to grab a G6 and a G7 Plus take shots at the same time, same place, same angle and compare them. Smiley Happy

angel76ph
Serial Port
Views: 146
Message 8 of 8

Saw the link.

It would seem only the GPU is slightly ahead with the G7 Plus than the G6 Plus. Again, this and benchmarks don't mean anything in real world applications unless you play hardcore 3D intensive games & apps which doesn't apply to me. Maybe multitasking and memeory management might be slightly better. 

Doesn't say anything about the camera though. 4 pout of 5 I have researched people seem to argue that the G6 Plus has an overall better quality photos. Newer specs, newer sensor etc. don't mean anything unless fully optimised via updates.

Its also pointless to "grab" a G6 Plus and a G7 Plus and compoare side by side because its difficult here in the UK. But if someone does have it on display its either the phone is on demo mode, not fully charged, the camera is covered by the phone holder or the software is not updated.

Top Kudoed Authors