Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CSCOOK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 163
Message 1 of 22

Moto G7 Plus external hard reset?

My G7 Plus  froze and the touchscreen became totally unreponsive this morning, in the middle of typing. No new apps in the last few days or anything that has changed. There have been a few notification-type vibrations for no apparent reason in the last week, but I was unable to track down what was causing them - that's the only odd thing recently. 

I can do a power-down and restart with a long press on the power key, but it just returns to the same unresponsive condition.

From reading online, it looks like I can do an external factory reset, but the instructions say to start with the power off, and then press the volume down and power buttons simultaneously. Is this the only option, in which case do I have to wait for the battery to run down and then charge it again, as currently I cannot find a way to turn the phone fully off? The only things cuirrently functioning are the power and volume buttons.

any advice is appreciated. 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 130
Message 2 of 22

Re: Moto G7 Plus external hard reset?

@CSCOOK wrote:

My G7 Plus  froze and the touchscreen became totally unreponsive this morning, in the middle of typing. No new apps in the last few days or anything that has changed. There have been a few notification-type vibrations for no apparent reason in the last week, but I was unable to track down what was causing them - that's the only odd thing recently. 

I can do a power-down and restart with a long press on the power key, but it just returns to the same unresponsive condition.

From reading online, it looks like I can do an external factory reset, but the instructions say to start with the power off, and then press the volume down and power buttons simultaneously. Is this the only option, in which case do I have to wait for the battery to run down and then charge it again, as currently I cannot find a way to turn the phone fully off? The only things cuirrently functioning are the power and volume buttons.

any advice is appreciated. 

Hold the power button in until the phone restarts.This emulates taking the Battery out Smiley Happy

CSCOOK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 119
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this several times, but the touchscreen still remains unresponsive when it starts up again.

However, if I have to get it effectively turned off to do a hard external factory reset using only the buttons, contintuing to try it will at least help me run the battery down.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 117
Message 4 of 22

@CSCOOK wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this several times, but the touchscreen still remains unresponsive when it starts up again.

However, if I have to get it effectively turned off to do a hard external factory reset using only the buttons, contintuing to try it will at least help me run the battery down.

So you can't get into Recovery mode e.g holding the volume down button and the power button at the same time?

CSCOOK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 114
Message 5 of 22

If I do that, what happens if I need to use the touchscreen to select different menus?

I'm basing my steps on this set of instructions from Motorola:

External Reset.....

.When using this feature; everything is deleted from the device.

• Reset will require a minimum battery level of 25%. If you are unable to perform a reset, please charge for 20-30 minutes and try reset again.

1.  With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.

2.  Press the Volume Down button until the flag says RECOVERY MODE.

3.  Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.

4.  You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red triangle.

5.  While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.

6.  Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button to select it.

7.  Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power button to select it.

As this  specifically states to start with the phone powered off, I've been reluctant to try the volume down and the power button while the phone is still on. You reckon it's OK to start  with the phone powered on?

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 112
Message 6 of 22

You should be fine.Just see if you can get into Recovery mode but don't do anything in there for now Smiley Happy

CSCOOK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 110
Message 7 of 22

that takes me into Fastboot Flash Mode (secure)
Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 107
Message 8 of 22

@CSCOOK wrote:
that takes me into Fastboot Flash Mode (secure)

Can use use the Volume key to change the option when in there?

CSCOOK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 105
Message 9 of 22

Oh, I can indeed - now the little blue "speech bubble" type thing at the side has been selected to recovery mode.
Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 101
Message 10 of 22

@CSCOOK wrote:
Oh, I can indeed - now the little blue "speech bubble" type thing at the side has been selected to recovery mode.

If you choose Recovery mode You should be able to choose a Factory restore/Reset?

Top Kudoed Authors