Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brontide
Token Ring
Views: 2,163
Message 41 of 114

Re: Moto G7 Power - Missing Security Updates

In a sad state of affairs my wife's G6 play now has a newer version of android than my g7.  Smiley Frustrated

Daneel_Olivaw
Core Memory
Views: 2,122
Message 42 of 114

So we and the others need to put our bots on the producer's lying ad!
Let's learn our minds in the future! Clearly my future phone will not be branded by Lenovo or Motorola!

R. Daneel Olivaw
CJ73
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 2,117
Message 43 of 114

Hi Swaraj.

Sorry to say, but you are missing the point. To wait for a well tested major update e.g. the next Android Upgrade is one thing.

But the monthly security updates provided by Google to fix security issues (as the name suggests) should be timely released.

The web page you are pointing to is also useless as it doesn't provide the current security patch level.

regards 

CJ

Highlighted
MotoG7powerUser
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,103
Message 44 of 114

Dear Agent_Swaraj,
thank you for the answer. 

I bought 2 Moto g7 Power phones (Model XT1955-4) both still stuck at the Android Version 9.0, PP029.80-27 (December 1, 2018).

You say: "We truly believe that waiting for a good release is better than having a potentially puzzling one pushed prematurely,
with the subsequent need to carry out further work to fix bugs or improve its performance." 

That's a good point, but Android security updates should be provided ASAP,  not after months.

I see that there have been 2 software updates for the Moto g7 Power, and it seems they are available only to some people in the US:

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g7-power/documents/MS1392...

(Stability improvements / Android security)

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g7-power/documents/MS1404...

(Android security)

Why are they not available in Germany/Europe? 

Furthermore, there is already a May 2019 update available for the Modell Moto g7 plus in Germany (but not for the Moto g7 power).
https://motorola-global-portal-de.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/140431

(Stability improvements / Android security)

I bought this phone because I wanted the latest technology with the latest safety level. May I ask you:
- Was this update issue already escalated to a high level?

- If so, could you please forward this to the responsible person/group, so they could tell us when we will get the latest Android release (in my case, Software Channel Reteu2)? And, after that, will we get regular updates?I think these are fair questions. If too far in time, I'll immediately bring the phones back for refund.

I thank you in advance.

MotoG7powerUser
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,086
Message 45 of 114

Hi SammythHiro, can you explain to us the workaround? Which firmare version did you manage to install? And which software channel do you have on your Moto? Sorry for the many questions....
lydham72
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,083
Message 46 of 114

Excellent post above from MotoG7PowerUser.

Can I add to the questions, when will software channel retgb receive ANY update at all?

It beggars belief that some G7 Power phones are on their 3rd security update, while others have received none!

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 2,060
Message 47 of 114

MotoG7powerUser, I had the same version as you, Android Version 9.0, PP029.80-27 (December 1, 2018). I managed to install the February 1, 2019 version (PPO29.80-72). My software channel is retapac. I know for sure there is May 2019 update for this version, but unfortunately it has not been pushed yet. Since my phone was fairly new I used Lenovo Motorola Smart Assistant and used the rescue function to restore my firmware. Fortunately, the firmware that was available for my phone was the February 1, 2019 version (PPO29.80-72). For the moment I feel a little safer now that I am not on the December 1, 2018 patch. I had never had to jump this many hoops to keep my phone updated. It is the responsibilty of Lenovo to verify that security patches are been pushed out in different markets.

mclucid
Punch Card
Views: 1,992
Message 48 of 114

I hate to break it to you folks, but Lenovo / Motorola is not going to fix the issue, nor will they take responsibility for updates being available, yet not being pushed out. Your only option at this point is to flash the image manually from https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ocean/official/ and select your update channel or to return the device (which is what I did). No amount of negative feedback on here is going to make them budge. They are clearly grossly incompetent, thinly spread resources, and poor business ethics. Why support such a company?

Oh and btw - what the last rep said here is complete bs. Google makes the security patches themselves and pushes them out to the manufacturers. These patches do not modify any system modifications that these manufacturers perform so the excuse that they are waiting for stability is completely false. So add dishonesty to the list.

mclucid
Punch Card
Views: 1,986
Message 49 of 114

Sammy, unfortunately your feeling of safety is not founded. There have been multiple major security holes that have been patched since February.

Welshyorkie
Punch Card
Views: 1,977
Message 50 of 114

My last security update is December 2018. And I guess thousands of others. So if anything has been patched, we are not getting it. Even previous models of the G family have had updates.

I agree with many others in here, Motorola are not interested. They launched this phone with so many variants it just does not make sense. They advertised it everywhere with the wrong specs. This may have been 'accidental' or deliberate to get the sales. 

As I have stated before, this is my last ever Motorola phone

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors