cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
thePhoneGuy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-24-2016
Location: US
Views: 434
Message 1 of 5

Moto G7 Power bad GPS

In the last few days my GPS has been very poor.  I ran a diagnostic (Moto Help app > Device Diagnosis > Hardware Test > GPS) It says there "0 satellites are connected with your GPS receiver" then "Status: There might be a problem. Contact us to learn how it can be fixed."

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 6,309
Registered: ‎03-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 373
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto G7 Power bad GPS

Hi thePhoneGuy,

 

Thanks for the post. Let's first make sure you have location accuracy enabled (Settings > Security & Location > Location > Advanced > Google Location Accuracy > Toggle on Improve Location Accuracy) Also, enable WiFi Scanning and Bluetooth Scanning. Once done with those, kindly open Google Maps and touch the bullet icon (right side part of the screen). This will locate your current location. Let me know if that helps. 

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

thePhoneGuy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-24-2016
Location: US
Views: 235
Message 3 of 5

Re: Moto G7 Power bad GPS

Sorry for the slow response.  Yes  Improve Location Accuracy,WiFi Scanning, and Bluetooth Scanning are on.  It works out in the open, but not inside buildings.  My Moto E4 Plus never drops the GPS when walking in the same building. I have compared both phones side by side multiple times.  about 70% of the time the Moto G7 Power will hold the signal, but the other 30% it drops it. 

thePhoneGuy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-24-2016
Location: US
Views: 232
Message 4 of 5

Re: Moto G7 Power bad GPS

I just opened google maps with my Moto G7 Power to see where it puts my phone.  I'm placed about 400 feet away in the middle of a freeway.  Note close to my desk inside a building.  Moto E4 Plus places me at my desk. 

Is there a warranty service?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Posts: 6,309
Registered: ‎03-05-2018
Location: US
Views: 134
Message 5 of 5

Re: Moto G7 Power bad GPS

Hi thePhoneGuy,

 

Thanks for getting back. Before actually sending it for service, I would recommend troubleshooting it first. Have you tried testing this in safe mode and see if you can duplicate the same behavior? In safe mode you can still use Google Maps. Also, check if you have a good data network signal to make sure the location is updating real-time.

 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

 

 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors