US

7 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 1 of 11

Real Life battery life

2019-05-02, 14:14 PM

Hi,

Can you post your real life battery experience?   I really do not play any video games, but I basically run a business out of the phone: r 300 emails per day, 4+ hours of screen time, many apps running and sending notifications & my phone is connected to a smartwatch.  I really need a phone that can run 2 ~ 3 days: which basically translates to 28 ~ 36 hours in real life.

I can read specs,  I am looking for real life experience.

Options

1875 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2805 Signins

49246 Page Views

• Views: 49246
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Real Life battery life

2019-05-02, 15:46 PM

wrote:

Hi,

Can you post your real life battery experience?   I really do not play any video games, but I basically run a business out of the phone: r 300 emails per day, 4+ hours of screen time, many apps running and sending notifications & my phone is connected to a smartwatch.  I really need a phone that can run 2 ~ 3 days: which basically translates to 28 ~ 36 hours in real life.

I can read specs,  I am looking for real life experience.

Which model are you looking at? I can run some tests myself and see what I get. Otherwise, we have a great community and I'm sure someone will provide their feedback.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-02-2019

US

7 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2019-05-02, 16:04 PM
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the prompt Reply.
Since I also hate carrying a huge phone, I am thinking of the play models. If you have the ability let me know G6 & G7 play models, and if you also have the ability the G7 power.
Thank you in advance for your efforts.
Options

1875 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2805 Signins

49246 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2019-05-02, 16:24 PM

wrote:
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the prompt Reply.
Since I also hate carrying a huge phone, I am thinking of the play models. If you have the ability let me know G6 & G7 play models, and if you also have the ability the G7 power.
Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Ok, I personally have both the play and I just got a power that I'm charging and setting up right now. I'll play with them and see if I can get some estimates for you.  You mentioned screen on time of 4+ hours, other than email, what else are you doing on the phone to get that much screen time? 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-02-2019

US

7 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2019-05-02, 16:35 PM
Tom,
Internet search (mostly thru my wifi)
Texting
Email (already listed)
Lots of talking (screen is usually off)
about 1 hour of spotify or stored music via bluetooth
I do play chess (but that is less than 10 minutes of screen, and the app is really clean in terms of data & kernel locks usage)
If you want to chuckle I was very happy with my Galaxy S4 mini on Sprint with a zerolemon battery. But the battery degraded to where it just wont last.

Options

1875 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2805 Signins

49246 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2019-05-02, 18:07 PM

wrote:
Tom,
Internet search (mostly thru my wifi)
Texting
Email (already listed)
Lots of talking (screen is usually off)
about 1 hour of spotify or stored music via bluetooth
I do play chess (but that is less than 10 minutes of screen, and the app is really clean in terms of data & kernel locks usage)
If you want to chuckle I was very happy with my Galaxy S4 mini on Sprint with a zerolemon battery. But the battery degraded to where it just wont last.

Ok, what carrier do you plan to use? Sprint? If so that's going to drain my battery considerably, I live in a very poor Sprint coverage area, however, I will put my VZW SIM into them as I have much better coverage on Verizon. I don't want the poor coverage to skew the results. I'll see if I can get that much screen on time in a day. 

-Tom

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

05-02-2019

US

7 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2019-05-02, 18:13 PM
Tom,
Yes I am planning on using Sprint.
Try it with any provider that you have. I agree that poor reception will skew the results. I get 3 ~ 4 bars LTE with Sprint where I am at.
Sprint and Verizon use similar technology, so your results will be a good comparison.
What is your daily driver?
Options

1875 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2805 Signins

49246 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2019-05-02, 18:27 PM

wrote:
Tom,
Yes I am planning on using Sprint.
Try it with any provider that you have. I agree that poor reception will skew the results. I get 3 ~ 4 bars LTE with Sprint where I am at.
Sprint and Verizon use similar technology, so your results will be a good comparison.
What is your daily driver?

Ummm that's a difficult question....lol. Umm the phones I currently I have my active SIMs in are a Moto Z3 on Verizon and a Moto E5 Supra on Cricket. I'm constantly switching between phones multiple times a day to test things, so I don't really have a daily driver. I do tend to come back to the Z3 though as I like the Moto Mods.

-Tom

Options

94 Posts

04-02-2019

US

316 Signins

2338 Page Views

• Views: 2338
  • Message 9 of 11

2019-05-02, 22:56 PM

G7 ( not play ) when traveling with frequent photo taking, but not a lot of application usage, I struggle to make it through a whole day without limiting usage.  

Options

1875 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2805 Signins

49246 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2019-05-06, 14:56 PM

wrote:

G7 ( not play ) when traveling with frequent photo taking, but not a lot of application usage, I struggle to make it through a whole day without limiting usage.  

I can't say it's an exact test or will help much, but I did use my moto g7 power for a while. I know my test, isn't exactly the same way you'd be using it, but here are the results so far.

I'm hitting a screen on time of 7hr 9min with 63% left on the battery. Now keep in mind, most, if not all of my usage was on WiFi. Here is the breakdown according to Usage Details.

YouTube 5hr 3min

Facebook 1hr 15min

Google News 12min

Chrome 13min

Keep in mind, my usage will likely differ and our official statement is below.

Up to 3 days of power and all battery life claims are approximate and based on the median user tested across a mixed use profile (which includes both usage and standby time) under optimal network conditions. Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network and device settings, temperature, battery condition, and usage patterns.

-Tom

Options

5 Posts

05-02-2019

US

7 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 11 of 11

2019-05-06, 15:21 PM
@Tom Thank you for the answers.
I know that there are many conditions that affect battery charge longevity: Signal, usage, even screen brightness.
Your tests are definitely leaning me towards buying a Motorola product.
Thank you again.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save