GB

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 7

Mobile data intermittently stopping

2020-09-24, 17:07 PM

Hi all

Recently been having an issue with my Moto g8 plus where my mobile data will completely stop working, seemingly at random.

When this happens the phone gives me no indication: my signal bar is still full and I have a 4g indicator. Despite this I can't perform any internet searches of use online apps. It's like my data has just suddenly halted. 

Several things fix the problem temporarily, like turning airplane mode on and off, resetting the phone and popping then reinserting the sim. Toggling my mobile data does nothing though.

On top of this, my WiFi is completely unaffected. 

I've read around and seen suggestions like getting a new sim from my carrier, which I have tried, and clearing the system cache, but apparently this function is no longer available.

That being said, does anyone have any suggestions before I resort o a full factory reset?

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Options

392 Posts

08-15-2020

GB

187 Signins

4005 Page Views

• Views: 4005
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Mobile data intermittently stopping

2020-09-24, 17:26 PM

Have you tried resetting APN?

Settings/Network & Internet/Mobile Network/Advanced/Access point names/3 dots top right

# I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. #
Options

3 Posts

09-24-2020

GB

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-09-24, 17:32 PM

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have tried that. Did nothing.

Charlie

Options

392 Posts

08-15-2020

GB

187 Signins

4005 Page Views

• Views: 4005
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-09-24, 17:44 PM

Ahead of a Motorola agent response, make sure your forum settings show your phone model, carrier and IMEI.
Wait to see what they suggest you try.

# I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. #
Options

1951 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1746 Signins

26858 Page Views

• Views: 26858
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-09-24, 17:45 PM

It might sound a bit daft but I had an old phone where the Sim card slot was a little too large for some Sims and by cutting a small square of Sellotape and sticking it on the back of the Sim card cured it. I think I had to use two pieces.

HTH :)

Options

3 Posts

09-24-2020

GB

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-09-24, 18:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's the problem here. The issue can be temporarily fixed by just toggling airplane mode so I don't think it's anything mechanical. Charlie
Options

2129 Posts

03-11-2019

US

603 Signins

43490 Page Views

• Views: 43490
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-09-25, 14:36 PM

Hi Charlie G,

Thanks for updating your profile but you did not include the carrier. We would like to know if this happens in random location or just in one location? Have you already contacted and report this to your carrier?  Please provide us your location, carrier and bug report (Steps Below).

To enable developer options: 
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number 
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

BUG REPORT FOR NORMAL ISSUE:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive and then share the link of the Bug Report via Private Message.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete