Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G Phonesmoto g9 power
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-03-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 10

Camera won't work with Pokémon Go

2021-05-03, 17:24 PM

I got the Moto g9 power to replace my broken g8 power (I was very happy with this phone) but now I can't interact on AR on Pokémon Go.  I've Googled it but can't find an answer.  Can anyone help?

Can't get my buddy to come out.

Thanks

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Views: 75931
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Camera won't work with Pokémon Go

2021-05-03, 21:40 PM

@ Manxie wrote:

I got the Moto g9 power to replace my broken g8 power (I was very happy with this phone) but now I can' interact on AR on Pokémon Go.  I' Googled it but can' find an answer.  Can anyone help?

Can' get my buddy to come out.

Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to see you're having issues with Pokemon Go. First, you posted on the Moto G9/G9 Play board. I'll move your topic to the G9 Power board. That being said, what happens when you try to switch to AR when playing Pokemon Go? Is the option not available? Do you get any errors/messages?

Let us know,

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-05-03, 21:54 PM

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.  At first my camera would open and freeze.  The Pokémon Go app was downloaded to my new phone as part of the Google set up so I thought that maybe that install may not have gone to well.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  I checked the permissions on the app etc.  I also Googled the issue and a few results said check gyroscope (it's fine) and do a device hardware check, that was fine too.

The camera doesn't freeze now.  I don't know if you are familiar with Pokémon Go but to interact with your buddy you have to scan a large flat space with the camera until yellow dots appear where you can click and your buddy pops out on AR.  Those yellow dots never appear.

It's something to do with the interaction of the app with the camera.

Now I must also add I am a bit of an old crinkly and not super techy and I don't play many games so the loss of my only active game on my new, "improved?" phone is a bit of a blow.

I hope it can be fixed.

Thanks

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-05-05, 13:52 PM

@ Manxie wrote:

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.  At first my camera would open and freeze.  The Pokémon Go app was downloaded to my new phone as part of the Google set up so I thought that maybe that install may not have gone to well.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  I checked the permissions on the app etc.  I also Googled the issue and a few results said check gyroscope (it' fine) and do a device hardware check, that was fine too.

The camera doesn' freeze now.  I don' know if you are familiar with Pokémon Go but to interact with your buddy you have to scan a large flat space with the camera until yellow dots appear where you can click and your buddy pops out on AR.  Those yellow dots never appear.

It' something to do with the interaction of the app with the camera.

Now I must also add I am a bit of an old crinkly and not super techy and I don' play many games so the loss of my only active game on my new, "improved?" phone is a bit of a blow.

I hope it can be fixed.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll be honest, I haven't played the game in a couple of years. I don't have a G9 Power personally, but I did install it on my Pixel 4a 5G and I can't get any yellow dots to appear in the AR+ view either. Give me some time to play around with a few models to see if I can get the AR portion to work and then see if we can figure out why it's not working on the G9 Power. I'll let you know once I have some updates.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-05-06, 14:11 PM

@ MotorolaTom wrote:

@ Manxie wrote:

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.  At first my camera would open and freeze.  The Pokémon Go app was downloaded to my new phone as part of the Google set up so I thought that maybe that install may not have gone to well.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  I checked the permissions on the app etc.  I also Googled the issue and a few results said check gyroscope (it' fine) and do a device hardware check, that was fine too.

The camera doesn' freeze now.  I don' know if you are familiar with Pokémon Go but to interact with your buddy you have to scan a large flat space with the camera until yellow dots appear where you can click and your buddy pops out on AR.  Those yellow dots never appear.

It' something to do with the interaction of the app with the camera.

Now I must also add I am a bit of an old crinkly and not super techy and I don' play many games so the loss of my only active game on my new, "improved?" phone is a bit of a blow.

I hope it can be fixed.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I' be honest, I haven' played the game in a couple of years. I don' have a G9 Power personally, but I did install it on my Pixel 4a 5G and I can' get any yellow dots to appear in the AR+ view either. Give me some time to play around with a few models to see if I can get the AR portion to work and then see if we can figure out why it' not working on the G9 Power. I' let you know once I have some updates.

-Tom

Hello, I'd like to provide an update from my end. I was finally able to get it to work on my Pixel. I had to go outside with a larger flat area and then patches of animated grass showed up, not yellow dots. Once this worked I was able to use it inside the house as well. If you can try outdoors in a larger area with your phone and see if it triggers the grass patches to show up. 

Let me know,

Tom

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-05-07, 19:28 PM

Hiya, so happy you are trying to help me.  So the green grass thing is new to me.  Bit odd because there was literally 4 days between the end of my dead Moto g8 power and my Moto g9 power so don't expect the Pokémon Go app has changed so much.

I live on a campsite, an empty campsite.....all there is is wide open space.  A cross of grass fields and rubble roads.  I spent 30 mins trying to get my pet to come out on AR.  No yellow dots ( like the week before) and no grass sprouting like you had.

I started, restarted my phone.....it just doesn't happen.  I'm so sad, all I do on my phone is 1 game and my updated phone can't do it.

What do you think?  Should I go back to the G8......but it doesn't have NFC and I'm loving that.

I think it's the camera, because tbh even the pics and vids ain't good.

Sandra. 

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-05-10, 18:35 PM

@ Manxie wrote:

Hiya, so happy you are trying to help me.  So the green grass thing is new to me.  Bit odd because there was literally 4 days between the end of my dead Moto g8 power and my Moto g9 power so don' expect the Pokémon Go app has changed so much.

I live on a campsite, an empty campsite.....all there is is wide open space.  A cross of grass fields and rubble roads.  I spent 30 mins trying to get my pet to come out on AR.  No yellow dots ( like the week before) and no grass sprouting like you had.

I started, restarted my phone.....it just doesn' happen.  I' so sad, all I do on my phone is 1 game and my updated phone can' do it.

What do you think?  Should I go back to the G8......but it doesn' have NFC and I' loving that.

I think it' the camera, because tbh even the pics and vids ain' good.

Sandra. 

Hi Sandra, please give me the opportunity to troubleshoot. Of course, it's completely your decision if you decide to switch back to your old phone. Just let me know. That being said, I didn't try the pet, I tested the AR with catching Pokemon. I'll admit, I'm not that savvy with the game. If you could get me the steps to view your pet, I'll try that. 

Thanks,

Tom

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-05-10, 19:03 PM

Hi Tom, I appreciate your help.

The pet/buddy is a Pokémon you adventure with.  You need to allocate a Pokémon to be your buddy.  When you have done that you will see him standing beside you when you click on your image (bottom right hand corner).  You need to feed your buddy with berries, and take a snapshot etc to gain xp.  You can get your buddy up by clicking his face bottom right.  Select play.  You have the choice of AR mode or quick play (I have to use this).  Select AR mode and this is when you have to scan a flat area.  This is when the yellow dots appear.  Press on the yellow dot area and your buddy comes out in AR mode.  You can feed, play and take a snapshot here.  

I just don't get those yellow dots.

Now, all that being said I did get the yellow dots once (I have tried at least 50 times) but when the Pokémon did come out he was far too close and I kept getting a message that he was too close (filling the screen).  That's the only success I had.

As an aside the GPS location seems to be a bit off too.  When I am walking about my image on the map seems to be about 10 feet "off".  Also when I am standing still my avatar seems to wander about a bit.  I'm telling you this as it may be something else that is affecting the AR mode and not necessarily just a camera issue.

I must admit, in general day to day use ( not just the game) the Moto g8 is a better all round phone.

I look forward to your reply.

Options

5 Posts

05-03-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-05-11, 6:11 AM

Me again.

Here is an easy problem to replicate with the app/my phone.

You get rewards for challenges, one if the challenges you get now and then is to take a snapshot of a certain type of Pokémon in you Pokédex.

Simply go to your list of Pokémon, select one and top left is the snapshot button (camera icon).  It is in AR mode and every time I do the my camera freezes.  I've tried a load of times.  I've rebooted my phone and still it freezes.  Defo an issue with AR and my camera!

Thanks Tom

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-05-11, 23:25 PM

@ Manxie wrote:

Me again.

Here is an easy problem to replicate with the app/my phone.

You get rewards for challenges, one if the challenges you get now and then is to take a snapshot of a certain type of Pokémon in you Pokédex.

Simply go to your list of Pokémon, select one and top left is the snapshot button (camera icon).  It is in AR mode and every time I do the my camera freezes.  I' tried a load of times.  I' rebooted my phone and still it freezes.  Defo an issue with AR and my camera!

Thanks Tom

Thanks for all these steps. I'm going to escalate and have someone with the same model device try to test and duplicate. I will let you know if they have any questions or if I get any new information from them.

Thanks,

Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms