Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

5912 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3353 Signins

80426 Page Views

• Views: 80426
  • Message 41 of 127

Re:5G doesn't show up in the preferred type of network

2020-12-09, 21:59 PM

@ cncanada wrote:

@MotorolaTom is there actually a fix for this problem?  Does one have to come here and request it specific to themselves?  Or is Motorola going to actually update the phones to be able to access 5G?  Inquiring minds....

I just realized something. Are you using the Edge or Edge+. The reason I ask is the Edge isn't sold in Canada. We do however sell the Edge+ in Canada though.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

5 Posts

11-30-2018

Canada

12 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 42 of 127

2020-12-10, 5:01 AM

@MotorolaTom I'm using the Edge. 

Options

5912 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3353 Signins

80426 Page Views

• Message 43 of 127

2020-12-10, 13:04 PM

@ cncanada wrote:

@MotorolaTom I' using the Edge. 

Where did you purchase it? I don't see that the Edge was officially sold in Canada which would likely be why the carriers aren't supporting it for 5G. However, I have already asked some people on my end if it's should work though.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

12-02-2020

Italy

14 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 44 of 127

2020-12-10, 13:13 PM

@MotorolaTom have news? My carrier has enabled 5g in the city where I live. I have activated the data plan with the 5g offer but the phone still does not let me choose the network. If the problem is not solved soon I am forced to return it.

Options

5912 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3353 Signins

80426 Page Views

• Message 45 of 127

2020-12-10, 20:03 PM

@ Gig@s wrote:

@MotorolaTom have news? My carrier has enabled 5g in the city where I live. I have activated the data plan with the 5g offer but the phone still does not let me choose the network. If the problem is not solved soon I am forced to return it.

Sadly, not yet. I just sent another email off to the team regarding this. I will try to get an answer for you ASAP.

-Tom

Options

5 Posts

11-30-2018

Canada

12 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 46 of 127

2020-12-11, 4:50 AM

@ MotorolaTom wrote:

Where did you purchase it? I don' see that the Edge was officially sold in Canada which would likely be why the carriers aren't supporting it for 5G. However, I have already asked some people on my end if it' should work though.

@MotorolaTom so if it's not "officially" sold in the country, 5G gets disabled or won't work?  That seems odd given the carriers haven't disabled 3G or 4G in their vengeful mission against invading cellphones from Amazon.  It also seems like making an unlocked cellphone would be pretty pointless since they'd remain tied to carriers.  For what it's worth, I have a bring-your-own-device plan and according to my online account profile, Telus seems to think the Edge is a Samsung 5G phone (it seems unable to tell what I'm using).  Regardless, the Telus techies are insisting that it's related to "profiles" placed on the phone by the manufacturer.  I remain curious about who to most focus my whines on!  Thank you for looking into these things :)

Options

5912 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3353 Signins

80426 Page Views

• Message 47 of 127

2020-12-11, 20:33 PM

@ cncanada wrote:

@ MotorolaTom wrote:

Where did you purchase it? I don' see that the Edge was officially sold in Canada which would likely be why the carriers aren' supporting it for 5G. However, I have already asked some people on my end if it' should work though.

@MotorolaTom so if it' not "officially" sold in the country, 5G gets disabled or won' work?  That seems odd given the carriers haven' disabled 3G or 4G in their vengeful mission against invading cellphones from Amazon.  It also seems like making an unlocked cellphone would be pretty pointless since they' remain tied to carriers.  For what it' worth, I have a bring-your-own-device plan and according to my online account profile, Telus seems to think the Edge is a Samsung 5G phone (it seems unable to tell what I' using).  Regardless, the Telus techies are insisting that it' related to "profiles" placed on the phone by the manufacturer.  I remain curious about who to most focus my whines on!  Thank you for looking into these things :)

I understand what you're saying. 5G just like VoLTe and VoWiFI technologies require carrier approvals and software on the phone to support those carriers. Just because a phone is unlocked doesn't mean it will get all the carrier supported features. This is mostly outside of our control and one of the main reasons we don't advise buying phones out of the regions they were intended to be used. It's unlikely that Telus will be able to help and we would not be able to update the software to support carriers in regions where the phone wasn't sold. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'm being as honest as possible and don't want to give you any false hope that it will get official support for Telus or any carrier in Canada. That is unless we eventually end up selling this model there.

-Tom

Options

7 Posts

12-02-2020

Italy

14 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 48 of 127

2020-12-17, 9:47 AM

5g still doesn't work. Will this problem ever be solved?
I am very disappointed to have bought a phone sold for 5g when the reality is different, limitations or software blocks that do not allow the connection to this service despite sim enabled.
What a disappointment.

@MotorolaTom 

Options

5912 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3353 Signins

80426 Page Views

• Message 49 of 127

2020-12-17, 21:06 PM

@ Gig@s wrote:

5g still doesn' work. Will this problem ever be solved?
I am very disappointed to have bought a phone sold for 5g when the reality is different, limitations or software blocks that do not allow the connection to this service despite sim enabled.
What a disappointment.

@MotorolaTom 

Hello. I apologize for this taking so long and I'm sure you're not going to be very happy with my answer. However, I feel honesty is the best answer. Currently, the phone does not support 5G on your carrier (I'm sure you figured that part out by now). That being said, we are looking into adding support for Wind in a future software update. As for timing, unfortunately, I don't have that information.

-Tom

Options

2 Posts

12-23-2020

Italy

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 50 of 127

2020-12-23, 23:03 PM

Hello, I also have the same problem in Italy with Iliad. Is it possible to make a check for me too?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms