Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-24-2021

France

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

Android 11 - Split Screen

2021-04-24, 8:53 AM

Hello,

I just got the Android 11 update ; but it seems like some split screen functionality was lost in the process.

I used to be able to split screen with three distinct sizes: 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4, but now I can only split screen 1/2. This is a shame as it was particularly useful to have a small Youtube that takes 1/4 of the screen and another app that takes 3/4 of the screen.
Is this a limitation from Android 11? Is there something I can configure to get it back?

Thanks,

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Android 11 - Split Screen

2021-04-24, 15:41 PM

Hi MarienM

Thank you for asking. Hmm. Can't confirm right now, I don't have a phone to test and compare this. But I will ask around and see if we can duplicate. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

6736 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3408 Signins

85536 Page Views

• Views: 85536
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-04-26, 16:05 PM

@ MarienM wrote:

Hello,

I just got the Android 11 update ; but it seems like some split screen functionality was lost in the process.

I used to be able to split screen with three distinct sizes: 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4, but now I can only split screen 1/2. This is a shame as it was particularly useful to have a small Youtube that takes 1/4 of the screen and another app that takes 3/4 of the screen.
Is this a limitation from Android 11? Is there something I can configure to get it back?

Thanks,

Good catch. Yeah, I see the same thing. I'll get this reported on my end, but I can't guarantee there will be improvements. I'll be honest, I rarely if ever use split-screen. However, while testing some things. I did find a workaround. If you go to Settings > Display > Advanced > Display Size > Small, you can then adjust the sizes again. Of course, that makes everything smaller, so you may or may not like that. I'll still report this on my end.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

57 Posts

03-14-2021

Italy

130 Signins

1065 Page Views

• Views: 1065
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-04-26, 20:32 PM

Very well Tom!!!

Now let me explain ... I tried as you said and it's true the workaround works; but better fix (as you said).

With this trick, however, I solved another problem of the Moto Widget (circle clock) remember the post?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/motorola-edge/Motorola-Widget-wrong-21-April-update/m-p/5076460?page=1

By lowering the screen size the Widget becomes 3x2 and once applied in the Home it doesn't resize 3x3 when you bring the display back to the default size ... BUT sshhhhhh, silence, this bug is to our advantage !!! hahahahahaha

Now the useless emptiness above and below no longer exists in the Widget, so you will earn more useful display ;D

Regards

Ds

Options

6736 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3408 Signins

85536 Page Views

• Views: 85536
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-04-27, 18:36 PM

@ Daniele Sgi wrote:

Very well Tom!!!

Now let me explain ... I tried as you said and it' true the workaround works; but better fix (as you said).

With this trick, however, I solved another problem of the Moto Widget (circle clock) remember the post?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/motorola-edge/Motorola-Widget-wrong-21-April-update/m-p/5076460?page=1

By lowering the screen size the Widget becomes 3x2 and once applied in the Home it doesn' resize 3x3 when you bring the display back to the default size ... BUT sshhhhhh, silence, this bug is to our advantage !!! hahahahahaha

Now the useless emptiness above and below no longer exists in the Widget, so you will earn more useful display ;D

Regards

Ds

Hi yeah, changing the screen size too small will make changes to all the UI elements on the phone. It doesn't surprise me that it also messes with the padding for widgets. I'm glad that helps you though. It's not a bug, but just how Android works when changing the display/screen size. 

As for the split-screen resizing, I've escalated it, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

2 Posts

04-24-2021

France

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-04-27, 18:48 PM

Thank you Tom, this workaround works for me.

I don't mind having smaller text right now so long as I have split screen back to normal.

I'll wait for a return about a possible fix then.

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms