Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 1 of 17

Android 11 for edge+ sucks

2021-03-31, 20:42 PM

Only install Android 11 on your edge Plus if you hate yourself and you want your phone to be harder to use and stop working on you while you're in the middle of GPS directions. 

I've had many issues with this phone first of all. The notorious screen issue. This is my third device because it's clearly more frequent and obviously more likely to happen than good old Motorola matt on here would lead you to believe. which is garbage cuz this is the most expensive phone I've ever paid for and as so far , BY FAR been the worst phone I've ever had. obviously the screen issue forum is 105 pages long so I can't tell you to go read it but if you have an afternoon and you were thinking about buying this phone then you should absolutely read that forum because when most of the people that reported the issue had multiple devices doing the same thing you can't tell me that there was more devices that were released that never had the problem!! that's unlikely!! that is not probable! actually when you look at probabilities and things, if the mountain to pick from of devices had "more" that were not defective then when I go to the pile to pick a new device three times in a row then it should have been likely and more probable that I got more devices that didn't have the issue right. Maybe I should play the lottery because I got really lucky and out of their millions of good devices I got three devices that had defective screens. Kind of interesting right??  Also I was told that I would get a refund and I submitted all the information and never heard anything back from these guys.

Anyways about that Android 11 update because that sucks too. made this phone even worse for me. and Matt why the heck did it force me to install this update?? because I never gave permission to do it. it just was updating my phone one day all the sudden?? So here it is:

1. Biggest priority and first things first, my phone has now on multiple occasions while I'm out driving around just all the sudden said my SIM card is not there. I use my phone for work with Lyft and uber, ubereats, postmates, doordash, shipt, Amazon flex, you get the point. Unlike most people I don't get paid per hour so it's important to be efficient and very effective and ever since this Android 11 update was forced to be installed on my phone without my permission as I'm driving around in the middle of a delivery all the sudden my phone says that the SIM card cannot be found and my GPS cannot be detected or found and everything is screwed and I have to pull over on the side of the road and try to figure out my life. Today I lost out in wages earned because of this. I'M OBVIOUSLY FURIOUS!! Had to come home to figure out how to log into this stupid forum to let everybody know that this Android 11 update stopped me from working today and making money to feed my family. I've already read that you said this cannot be rolled back but I would like to know how I can get Android 10 back..or let's talk about that refund because this phone is garbage now...

2. They took away the most convenient screenshot method now. As other users have explained you now have to go through trouble of pushing two different buttons or going to your recently opened app view and clicking that button which doesn't catch the immediate screenshot you needed to catch. BullDonkey

3. In your recently opened app view screen I used to be able to see my most common or frequently used apps at the bottom, which was very efficient and effective for me. That has now been replaced with a screenshot button which sucks. Refer to number two above.

Back to Android 10 or let's talk about a refund!

Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 2 of 17

Re:Android 11 for edge+ sucks

2021-03-31, 21:04 PM

#4. Also today while I was driving around I closed my Apple music app. then I had another app open and I went to turn up my volume in my car to hear the app currently being used and it automatically started Apple music app back opened up, all super loud screaming in my ear. So I paused it went to the recently opened apps and apple music was not even in there open anymore. So I proceeded to pull down my menu from the top and was able to slide the Apple music thing off of that tray. Then I tried to go back to the app I was using and listen to that and turn the volume up again and what do you think. To my surprise Apple music automatically started back up. Started the song over all super loud again. I CLEARLY CLOSED THE APP OUT PAUSED IT STOPPED IT SWIPED THE ICON OFF OF MY TOP PULL-DOWN MENU RECONFIRMED THAT THE APP WAS CLOSED AND YET IT STILL POPPING UP AND AUTOMATICALLY CONTROLLING ITSELF OVER ALL MY OTHER APPS. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE??. 

Thanks again for a wonderful phone that I've paid super premium money for. Please consult or tell me what to do about this problem. All of these problems. All the Motorola privacy stuff is wide open you should be able to look into my situation or whatever please tell me what to do from here this is ridiculous.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 3 of 17

2021-04-02, 14:38 PM

@ Ls3PPV wrote:

#4. Also today while I was driving around I closed my Apple music app. then I had another app open and I went to turn up my volume in my car to hear the app currently being used and it automatically started Apple music app back opened up, all super loud screaming in my ear. So I paused it went to the recently opened apps and apple music was not even in there open anymore. So I proceeded to pull down my menu from the top and was able to slide the Apple music thing off of that tray. Then I tried to go back to the app I was using and listen to that and turn the volume up again and what do you think. To my surprise Apple music automatically started back up. Started the song over all super loud again. I CLEARLY CLOSED THE APP OUT PAUSED IT STOPPED IT SWIPED THE ICON OFF OF MY TOP PULL-DOWN MENU RECONFIRMED THAT THE APP WAS CLOSED AND YET IT STILL POPPING UP AND AUTOMATICALLY CONTROLLING ITSELF OVER ALL MY OTHER APPS. WHAT' GOING ON HERE??. 

Thanks again for a wonderful phone that I' paid super premium money for. Please consult or tell me what to do about this problem. All of these problems. All the Motorola privacy stuff is wide open you should be able to look into my situation or whatever please tell me what to do from here this is ridiculous.

Hi.

This is a change made in Android 11 to allow greater control of your music. I'm not a huge fan either, for similar reasons, but it looks like you can turn it off. 

• Go to Settings > Sound
  • Advanced > Media / Show player
  • Toggle on "Hide player when the media session has ended"

You can also do this from the notification bar player, by sliding the music controller to the left and selecting the gear icon. The above is easier I think. I'm pretty sure this will mean that closing the app will REALLy close it. Let me know if it doesn't work in your situation.

You can find the rules for this site here. Please follow all rules if you want to continue to participate.

- Matt

Forums Manager

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 4 of 17

2021-04-02, 15:24 PM

@ Ls3PPV wrote:

Also I was told that I would get a refund and I submitted all the information and never heard anything back from these guys.

1. Biggest priority and first things first, my phone has now on multiple occasions while I' out driving around just all the sudden said my SIM card is not there. 

Hi.

We can look into this. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate.

What troubleshooting steps have you already taken? Is your SIM new, or possibly an older one?

I know that we worked with you on replacements in the Fall. I'll investigate if there was a promised refund.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2021-04-05, 18:30 PM
Hi Matt. I updated my profile with my phone and carrier. The SIM card has been in there since I got this phone activated 6 or 8 months ago. I'm posting another reply to this because it has happened multiple times again and I caught screenshots so I will put those in this board.
Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2021-04-05, 18:40 PM

Another update for the Android 11 update on the edge Plus. 

An update for #1 above. 

There will be pictures attached to this response. It has happened many times again to me I have lost wages because of this. I AM FURIOUS!! I'm not sure what triggers it. I'm kind of getting the feeling it's Google maps but can't say for certain. either way my SIM card just all the sudden is not there can't be found. So I lose my GPS capabilities and then I have to pull over and figure out what I'm doing.

Here's a scenario for me as a Lyft driver where this is a terrible situation. I have a passenger in the vehicle and all the sudden my GPS goes haywire says can't be found so I have to tell the passenger I'm sorry but this ride is now going to cost you more money because I have to pull over until I can figure out what's going on with my phone or you know where we're going exactly again. Do you think that sits well with my passenger who was hoping for a quick ride to their destination?? This is terrible. Please look into AND FIX ASAP..

in the screenshots I provided look up at the top right corner you'll see where it shows the SIM card icon xed out.

Screenshot_20210401-165854.png Screenshot_20210405-113950-884.png
Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2021-04-05, 18:49 PM

@ mattforumsmanager

As far as the issue with #4 listed. The problem with music. Yes I have checked that in the settings. I have done it both ways and I experience major problems with both sides of that. only when hooked up to Bluetooth though keep in mind, in my cars. So even if I checked the box hide the player when session is ended. If I hit media in my car it will automatically bring up the last music that was playing and start playing it again against my discretion. I was pushing media because I wanted to start to hear my route navigation speaking through the system of my car. I never intended to start the music but it is doing that automatically even when I have swiped the app closed pushed pause in the app removed it from that pull down top menu where the media player is. This is a disaster..

Also let's say everything is closed out the app, if I get in my car it just automatically starts playing music again which is completely against my discretion I never intended for that. I would understand if the music was playing when I turn the vehicle off and then I pocket the phone going to store come back out and start the car again. Look I understand the music should start playing again in that scenario. But if the music was off completely when I go and turn the car off. And in fact I've even made sure to open my recently opened app screen made sure Apple music was closed gone. Made sure that it was not in the pull-down menu from the top as a media player. And it'll still just automatically start playing against my discretion. Sucks

now here's where I want to bring in another update for the public to know and understand about this. The Bluetooth is completely wacky now for my cars. It still plays in my 2013 Prius and my 2016 Escalade but there is a dramatic delay now like 15 to 20 seconds. It doesn't even play anymore in my 2014 Cadillac CTS car. My Bluetooth through my Motorola edge Plus does not work anymore. But the Bluetooth in my wife's Samsung and the Bluetooth in my Motorola z3 definitely still works just fine and all three of these vehicles with no delay whatsoever. That's how I know for sure it's this edge Plus device in particular with the Android 11 update because prior to this just a few days ago my Bluetooth worked just fine. So here's where that delay gets really messed up when I get an alert through Lyft that I have a ride available to accept it plays a sound that is now delayed so it could be showing on my screen that I have a ride to pick up or delivery to make for doordash even and I don't hear the alert until it's already closed out and tried to give that now to another driver because I didn't accept it fast enough. I expressed above how I've lost wages already due to this. Yeah again I am furious over this Matt.. also this is not costing me money but it is highly highly frustrating when I'm sitting in parking lots waiting for rides or sitting at the airport I would like to play my YouTube through my sound system on my car and now with a 15-second delay the obvious audio is off completely from the video so this sucks.. THIS SUCKS!!!!

Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2021-04-05, 18:53 PM

I really wish there was a way to get Android 10 back. So ever since the update to Android 11 now my Bluetooth is all screwed up in my cars. Thankfully I guess it will still connect in my Prius and in my 2016 Escalade. However in my 2014 CTS it no longer will connect whatsoever. And I've done extensive testing while sitting still while driving with location on off airplane mode on and off. And I know it's just the device the Motorola edge Plus in particular with this Android 11 update because it worked just fine a week ago with my Android 10 and this Motorola edge plus. It also still works just fine with my wife's Samsung and with my older Motorola z3 device.

So here's where it's really screwed up is there's a delay now in my cars that it does still work with. In my Prius and in my 2016 Escalade I have a major time delay ,seriously like 15 to 20 seconds, so if I'm sitting at airport waiting for a ride to give through Lyft or you know anything really l, the sound is completely off. with both video and sound so it sucks because when I try to start music it takes that delay time for it to actually start playing. And it's frustrating because if I hit pause it literally still takes 10 to 15 seconds for it to actually stop. The only way is to switch to FM or you know mute the whole sound system. But I can no longer use the proper pause function, right? which is stupid. I can't understand why every single time things get upgraded or updated in the tech world they're screwing it up worse and making it harder. We lose user functionality we use you know the great user interface that we all once used to like and love.

Words of wisdom to all those who have not updated to android 11. Don't be in the test batch. Do not do it yet. Keep your android 10 for now until they worked out the kinks of this android 11 because this sucks

• Edited for site rule violation - all-caps shouting. (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704) Please follow all rules if you want to participate. Thanks. - Matt (Forums Manager)
Options

23 Posts

07-25-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2021-04-05, 19:09 PM

I hope if you have this phone you have taken the time to read these and really heavily considered this before you do the Android 11 update.

Heres some more reasons to wait or avoid at all cost. Unfortunately without my permission the Android 11 update occurred on my phone so it's probably going to happen to everybody anyways. 

#5 . IT IS UNDOUBTEDLY KILLING MY BATTERY FASTER.. I used to have my screen turned off completely where it never turned on until I clicked the button on the side and then had to put my pin or my fingerprint in. Now anytime an update comes reason for notification my display is constantly turning on while it's sitting on the counter while it's sitting in my windshield mount on my vehicle. So thanks for that Android 11 update or Motorola. I've seen others Express this problem already but yes my battery is dying faster and I have to keep it charged more frequently which sucks. I bought this phone thinking I had the best specifications on the market battery wise and I know other people with smaller batteries that are lasting longer now. Shoot in fact my last phone the Motorola z3 can hang longer than this phone now..

#6 . THE EDGE SCREEN IS GONE ON MOST APPS AND I CAN NO LONGER CHANGE IT..  jeez have I said that the Android 11 update sucks yet!! So again as it's been expressed by others in this forum you can no longer completely have custom control over which of your apps use the edge of the screen and or change that. Most of my apps that used to wrap around the edges do not any longer do that. And you know that's why I bought this phone. Matt said in a different forum or different board or whatever that you know you get what you bought well Matt that's just silly because if they change what you bought then no we don't get it now they just took away or they robbed us for what we thought we bought. Cow dung. Thanks Android 11 update and/ or Motorola.  

#7. I used to have a tray of my most frequently used apps. It was five icons at the bottom when I clicked on the square button to view my recently opened apps it would be there at the bottom. I have included a screenshot from my Motorola z3 which still does have that obviously because it's on Android 9 or something like that. Regardless it has it and Android 10 on the edge Plus also had it but it is no longer there. Like I said in #2 above it has been replaced with a stupid screenshot button which really doesn't give you any kind of user interface or good functionality other than taking a screenshot. but if you needed to do something with the screen or in the app like swiping a menu up or down to get a screenshot of something other than just a raw open screen then that button sucks and is useless.. . Thanks matt. Tell everyone motorola how grateful we are for trashing the motorola edge plus with this new android 11 update. Or express that to google or whoever does the android 11 update...

Because this is my problem i don't have like a place to go comment or give feedback about this update other than right here. So i'm really hoping you guys have some inside connections or something because it's not an app in the play store that i can just go leave a review for. Thanks again android 11 update
. sorry community. Dang I'm frustrated. Feeling like I bought a $1,000 paperweight. 

• Edited for site rule violation - all-caps online shouting. (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704) Please follow all rules if you want to participate. Thanks. - Matt (Forums Manager)
IMG_20210405_112034819.jpg
Options

23 Posts

01-01-2021

Canada

23 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 10 of 17

2021-04-07, 3:03 AM

What baffles me the most is how users would keep crying Motorola is so slow in releasing updates and Motorola on the other hand has got leadership that wants to turn the company around and do what users are asking for, but the same leadership has either failed to retain engineering talent or has ignored the fact that their quality department is worst than that of Chinese produce stores.

So Motorola!! you've potential and you've people who will vouch for you. But you need to get your house in order.

I'm glad that I never went with Android 11, and that only because I know how to disable your garbage updates. But many people are not that savvy. You need to test your releases properly before you push it to people.

And how on earth can you remove features and force users to get used to them? If you wanna go this route, then share your source code so that people can build their own ROMs and have the features they want to have.

Else, I don't see a reason why anyone who pays premium will stick to you instead of going with Samsung for that matter which has such a strong developer support that S20 line already has LineageOS releases.

IMO, Edge Plus is the kind of device you cannot go wrong with. Great chipset with huge RAM, packed battery, excellent display, - Yet here we're talking about how nonsensical issues have been - which could've all been avoided, had Motorola thought about investing in something called Quality Assurance and User Accessibility Testing.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms