Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

05-21-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 1 of 19

Android 11 update removes features

2021-03-22, 5:57 AM

Just updated to android 11 and I can't seem to find some features.  

First is screen refresh rate.  I had it set to 60 Hz to save battery and after the update it for pushed up to 90 Hz.  With the update I no longer see the setting to change/select which value I want and I feel my battery will suffer at 90 Hz.

The edge touch feature/bar now uses a double tap to open my shortcut apps.  This used to be done by swiping in and double tap was reserved for switching to the last open app.  I personally think the last open app was more useful.  How do I reset the double tap to the most recent app instead of my shortcuts.

That's all I've found so far but it's only been 5 min which makes me worry I'll find more features that were lost.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 2 of 19

Re:Android 11 update removes features

2021-03-22, 12:53 PM

@ Walter753159 wrote:

Just updated to android 11 and I can' seem to find some features.  

First is screen refresh rate.  I had it set to 60 Hz to save battery and after the update it for pushed up to 90 Hz.  With the update I no longer see the setting to change/select which value I want and I feel my battery will suffer at 90 Hz.

The edge touch feature/bar now uses a double tap to open my shortcut apps.  This used to be done by swiping in and double tap was reserved for switching to the last open app.  I personally think the last open app was more useful.  How do I reset the double tap to the most recent app instead of my shortcuts.

That' all I' found so far but it' only been 5 min which makes me worry I' find more features that were lost.

Hi.

Ding ding ding on both. Refresh is now set at 90Hz permanently. 

Android 11 made some changes with Edge Display that was out of our control. To give some more background. Android 11 introduces a Waterfall API enabling applications to control what is shown on the edge. To maintain compatibility with Android, any application upgraded to Android 11 - such as most Google applications - is excluded from the manual Edge display On/Off setting. I hope that helps explain the new edge display stuff.

Regards,

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 19

2021-03-23, 7:12 AM
Why would the option of setting the screen to 60hz be removed? There are plenty (I would argue the majority) of people who care more about battery than screen refresh.
Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 4 of 19

2021-03-23, 14:22 PM

@ Gumbles wrote:

Why would the option of setting the screen to 60hz be removed? There are plenty (I would argue the majority) of people who care more about battery than screen refresh.

Hi.

We elected to optimize the performance of edge+ on the 90Hz display refresh rate -- it provides a better display experience. Even with this shift to a higher refresh rate, there is minimal impact on battery life, thanks to the device’s 4500 mAh battery.

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

33 Posts

05-21-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 5 of 19

2021-03-23, 14:27 PM

I feel like my battery drains much faster at 90 Hz so I disagree with your "minimal impact to battery life" claim but I'm not here to argue.  I guess the question is why was the feature where you could choose removed.  I do understand that 90 Hz looks better but why make the decision for us, why not let us choose ourselves

Options

5 Posts

03-23-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 40
  • Message 6 of 19

2021-03-23, 18:54 PM

I agree 100%. Having the default set to 90hz makes sense, but taking away the option to choose a lower rate makes no sense at all. Also the battery is 5000mha isn't it?

On  a different note, is this forum a good place to suggest ideas or improvements for future software updates? I feel like a few simple software changes could make a massive difference to the Edge Plus UX.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 7 of 19

2021-03-24, 15:33 PM

@ Gumbles wrote:

I agree 100%. Having the default set to 90hz makes sense, but taking away the option to choose a lower rate makes no sense at all. Also the battery is 5000mha isn' it?

On  a different note, is this forum a good place to suggest ideas or improvements for future software updates? I feel like a few simple software changes could make a massive difference to the Edge Plus UX.

Hi.

I am sorry that the change is disappointing, and I can share your feedback internally.  

I'd like to use your check-in data to see if battery life has been impacted, so we can demonstrate that to the product team. Can you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. (Walter, I see yours is there. Please let me know about checking apps - thanks.)

Thanks,

- Matt

Options

2 Posts

03-26-2021

Paraguay

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 19

2021-03-26, 15:06 PM

Hi, For my part, I prefer to leave it at 90Hz, the problem is that the animations are at 60Hz and the feeling of fluidity that I had completely disappeared. Can we choose again what we prefer?

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2021-03-29, 15:15 PM

@ Gumbles wrote:

I agree 100%. Having the default set to 90hz makes sense, but taking away the option to choose a lower rate makes no sense at all. Also the battery is 5000mha isn' it?

Yeah, mistake on my part re: battery size. Thanks.

I don't think there is a suggestion thread going now, so you could start one. We're happy to pass along suggestions to the team, but I don't want to imply that you should expect new features. Generally, what you buy is what you get. Suggestions are great though; even if they don't get into a current phone, they inform future plans.

Regards,

- Matt

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2021-03-29, 15:17 PM

@ rsaldivar wrote:

Hi, For my part, I prefer to leave it at 90Hz, the problem is that the animations are at 60Hz and the feeling of fluidity that I had completely disappeared. Can we choose again what we prefer?

Hi.

We've had several requests to restore this option, and we will pass it along to the team. I would not be overly optimistic though as the team has expressed its confidence in the overall benefits of this change. We do appreciate the feedback.

Which specific animations are you seeing differently?

- Matt

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms