10-25-2020

AR

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 3

Moto Edge back camera in Quad Pixel gives bad quality pictures

2020-11-21, 8:06 AM

I'm really dissapointed with the results of Quad Pixel settings at 64 or 48 mpx using the back camera.  I have compared my Ultra Res pictures with my wife's Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 and her pictures taken in quad pixel mode are free of noise,  sharper, brighter,  contrasted and in all terms superior to my 64mpx. My Moto edge works acceptable in 16 mpx but when I set Ultra Res even using a support to keep cell phone steady and shooting with time counter set at 10 seconds, to avoid moved pictures,  when I view them  at its maximum size (like for example right clicking on them in Windows and selecting "edit") windows Paint (or another similar max resolution viewer) I see blurred pictures with no defined borders, a enormous lot of noise and a general poor quality not desirable for a flagship phone.  If I use 16mpx normal resolution pictures "let's say" results are acceptable. In outdoors with optimum light conditions I see better quality pictures in 16mpx than in 64, Indoors pictures in 64 mpx are really a disaster. 

Please find below an indoor picture taken in Ultra Res mode with a small tripod, counter at 10 seconds to avoid movements and you'll see the quality of the picture.  (click on them to see them at the maximum allowed size)

https://fotos.subefotos.com/f46c70a9d7d38587125b7c0aa1d4ebbfo.jpg 

Now the same picture at 16 mpx with no Ultra Rex mode

https://fotos.subefotos.com/0878501d1248df9eb16609a5ae1e239ao.jpg

After 50 years of being a photographer I believe I'm not doing stghg wrong but I'd like to hear opinions from moderators and users or if someone else experienced this issue.

When I bought this phone I trusted I'd have a high quality camera (like for example my old Moto X Play camera) but this camera is far from this 6 or 7 years old phone Pictures are poor enough in colours, noise and borders.  Is this Quad pixel option or Edge has a low quality lens or it's a mater of a failure in the soft. I'm sincerely thinking moving to Xiaomi.

I've found today this Camera Testing in GSM Arena confirming somehow my impressions.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_edge-review-2111p5.php

Hoping a software upgrade can solve this bad performance in the quad pixel stacking

Options

3311 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3060 Signins

61731 Page Views

• Views: 61731
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Moto Edge back camera in Quad Pixel gives bad quality pictures

2020-11-24, 0:25 AM

@ Pala1955 wrote:

I'm really dissapointed with the results of Quad Pixel settings at 64 or 48 mpx using the back camera.  I have compared my Ultra Res pictures with my wife's Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 and her pictures taken in quad pixel mode are free of noise,  sharper, brighter,  contrasted and in all terms superior to my 64mpx. My Moto edge works acceptable in 16 mpx but when I set Ultra Res even using a support to keep cell phone steady and shooting with time counter set at 10 seconds, to avoid moved pictures,  when I view them  at its maximum size (like for example right clicking on them in Windows and selecting "edit") windows Paint (or another similar max resolution viewer) I see blurred pictures with no defined borders, a enormous lot of noise and a general poor quality not desirable for a flagship phone.  If I use 16mpx normal resolution pictures "let's say" results are acceptable. In outdoors with optimum light conditions I see better quality pictures in 16mpx than in 64, Indoors pictures in 64 mpx are really a disaster. 

Please find below an indoor picture taken in Ultra Res mode with a small tripod, counter at 10 seconds to avoid movements and you'll see the quality of the picture.  (click on them to see them at the maximum allowed size)

https://fotos.subefotos.com/f46c70a9d7d38587125b7c0aa1d4ebbfo.jpg 

Now the same picture at 16 mpx with no Ultra Rex mode

https://fotos.subefotos.com/0878501d1248df9eb16609a5ae1e239ao.jpg

After 50 years of being a photographer I believe I'm not doing stghg wrong but I'd like to hear opinions from moderators and users or if someone else experienced this issue.

When I bought this phone I trusted I'd have a high quality camera (like for example my old Moto X Play camera) but this camera is far from this 6 or 7 years old phone Pictures are poor enough in colours, noise and borders.  Is this Quad pixel option or Edge has a low quality lens or it's a mater of a failure in the soft. I'm sincerely thinking moving to Xiaomi.

I've found today this Camera Testing in GSM Arena confirming somehow my impressions.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_edge-review-2111p5.php

Hoping a software upgrade can solve this bad performance in the quad pixel stacking

Thank you for sharing sample photos with your post. I'm going to get this all sent over to our camera team. I can't promise there will be any updates to the current camera performance, but I can assure you they will get the feedback.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

7 Posts

10-25-2020

AR

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Moto Edge back camera in Quad Pixel gives bad quality pictures

2020-11-24, 15:32 PM

Thank you Tom. I hope Motorola will solve this.

Best regards

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete