Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

76 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

83 Signins

810 Page Views

• Views: 810
  • Message 1 of 7

Battery usage question/possible problem?

2021-03-05, 18:59 PM

Hi again!

I am a bit worried of my phone's battery usage as of late. I think It's quite strange to consume this fast after only 3 hours of usage. Could you please check the screenshots below?

To sum up, earlier today:

- I've watched 22 minutes of You Tube video.

- Browsed 55 minutes around the web for a work research.

- Read 24 minutes a PDF in Adobe  Acrobat

- Talked on the phone for around for around 50 minutes

- Facebook Messenger for 14 minutes.

- Microsoft One Note 12 minutes.

- Other smaller usage apps see list below.

This seems to be a really common usage if you ask me, nothing out of the ordinary. The phone gives me a warning that there has been an excessive increase in battery usage?

Is this battery usage considered normal? I've used it more than usual, that is true but should it deplete so fast?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did not change any battery optimization settings. I didn't fiddle with these at all.

Thank you for looking into this.

-Cris.

Options

4887 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74086 Page Views

• Views: 74086
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Battery usage question/possible problem?

2021-03-06, 1:42 AM

@ CrisC wrote:

Hi again!

I am a bit worried of my phone' battery usage as of late. I think It' quite strange to consume this fast after only 3 hours of usage. Could you please check the screenshots below?

To sum up, earlier today:

- I' watched 22 minutes of You Tube video.

- Browsed 55 minutes around the web for a work research.

- Read 24 minutes a PDF in Adobe  Acrobat

- Talked on the phone for around for around 50 minutes

- Facebook Messenger for 14 minutes.

- Microsoft One Note 12 minutes.

- Other smaller usage apps see list below.

This seems to be a really common usage if you ask me, nothing out of the ordinary. The phone gives me a warning that there has been an excessive increase in battery usage?

Is this battery usage considered normal? I' used it more than usual, that is true but should it deplete so fast?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did not change any battery optimization settings. I didn' fiddle with these at all.

Thank you for looking into this.

-Cris.

Cris, do you mind if I take a look at some things from my end based on the IMEI you have on your forum profile?

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

76 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

83 Signins

810 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-03-06, 1:53 AM

No, I don't mind as long as it's secure and privacy it's respected :-) Just let me know what you find out please. Maybe some app is eating up my battery without noticing, I'm clueless.

The IMEI it's still the same, nothing changed, I use the 1st sim slot.

Thank you very much, wish you a good weekend.

-Cris.

Options

4887 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74086 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-03-06, 2:10 AM

@ CrisC wrote:

No, I don' mind as long as it' secure and privacy it' respected :-) Just let me know what you find out please. Maybe some app is eating up my battery without noticing, I' clueless.

The IMEI it' still the same, nothing changed, I use the 1st sim slot.

Thank you very much, wish you a good weekend.

-Cris.

I notice Microsoft Edge was being used in the screenshot you provided. How long have you been using Edge? Did you get any updates to the Edge browser around the time you started seeing this issue? I do know that a new version was released today on the Play Store. Maybe try updating the app and see if the issue continues. Let me know.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

76 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

83 Signins

810 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-03-06, 17:01 PM

Hi!

You can see in one of the other screenshots that I've been using Edge for around 53 minutes. I have the latest version from 5th of February, you have mistaken 5th of February with 5th of March. There is no new update, I've checked.

I am using this browser since I bought the phone because it's better than what Google offers with Chrome and I sync it with my PC version of the browser.

I'll let you know if it happens again. Today I used it again for 1 hour and the battery wasn't drained like that.

Options

76 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

83 Signins

810 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-03-24, 21:47 PM

Hello!

This battery drain it's still happening. I am not sure if it is actually Edge's fault or the phone's battery. I will also test using Google Chrome, though I hate the browser.

I only watched YouTube videos via browser because it has less ads. I watched as you can see there 1hr and 50min. I also used YouTube app itself but only 20 mins.

Is this consumption normal? Are 2 hours of video watching supposed to drain this much battery? I will also test Google Chrome to see if it behaves the same.

I'll keep in touch.

Thank you!

Cris.

Options

4887 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74086 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-03-25, 20:30 PM

@ CrisC wrote:

Hello!

This battery drain it' still happening. I am not sure if it is actually Edge' fault or the phone' battery. I will also test using Google Chrome, though I hate the browser.

I only watched YouTube videos via browser because it has less ads. I watched as you can see there 1hr and 50min. I also used YouTube app itself but only 20 mins.

Is this consumption normal? Are 2 hours of video watching supposed to drain this much battery? I will also test Google Chrome to see if it behaves the same.

I' keep in touch.

Thank you!

Cris.

Hi Cris, I did some test on some other models and see about the same amount of battery drain from YouTube. I put on a 23m video at 1080p connected to WiFi and checked the battery stats and it was at 5% as well. Now, keep in mind 5% of the total percentage of battery usage so far. So in your case let's break it down. 

App Percent shown Percent Used
  42% 58%
Edge Browser 30% 52%

YouTube

5% 9%
Google Photos 5% 9%

So if we look at that. The Edge Browser actually used 52% of the battery during that period. 30% Usage / 58% battery used = 52%. I think the Edge Browser is eating the battery up petty quickly. Let me know if that makes sense.

Let's see what you find when you switch over to Chrome for a bit.

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms