Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-28-2021

Croatia

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 18

Bugs in the Android 11 update

2021-04-28, 2:47 AM

Hello,

After using Android 11 on my new Motorola Edge (2 moths old) for a little more than a month, I stumbled across a few bugs that vary from somewhat annoying to just plain irritating, so I was wandering if there are possible solutions to some of these or if I'll just have to put up with it until the next update (if there will even be a new update?).

Split screen:

• You can't change the sizes of the windows anymore (25:75) and its locked on 50:50
  • If you touch the mid bar (i don't know what's it called) the screen flickers on press and realese (so 2 times for 1 click), and if you touch it on accident it can be really uncomfortable (maybe even dangerous if somenoe has epilepsy or something similar)
  • The keyboard doesn't show up sometimes (apps like youtube, whatsapp, chrome etc.) and you have to undo the split screen and set up everything again for it to finally show up

(For the first 2 point you can set the screen size to small and it fixes it somewhat, but thats just a workaround and not a complete fix)

Home screen:

• The animation are really laggy for the system apps and app drawer (laggy is a really nice way to put it)

(The fix for this is to disable the blur effect in developer options, but again, thats just a workaround for something we shouldn't have to deal with 1 moth after buying a new phone)

• There are times when you click an app and the app icon disappears for a second and the app launches with a delay (and when that happens once they all do it and you have to restart the phone for everything to work normally again)
  • The auto shutdown doesn't work sometimes and I don't really know what to do about this (this is one of those irritating buggs). The screen brightness dims normally and when the time comes for it to shutdown it just brightens up again (sometimes a restart helps)
  • Sometimes when I unlock the phone the upper half of the screen flickers black (just the upper halve goes black and than goes back to normal). Usually I have to restart the phone for this to go away but sometimes it does go away on its own (but than reapears again). This is honestly more scary than irritating because I dont want it to stay that way

Lock screen and peek display:

• Fingerprint logo doesn't go away sometimes and I have to restart the phone again (I disabled the feature because of this)
  • Now, when I disabled the fingerprint sensor, the clock from the lock screen sometimes stay over everything but I can just 'unlock it' again so its just mildly annoying
  • Seen notifications don't go away, or you can't even discard them (dragg them to the 'X' on peek display). Sometimes you have to do that 2-3 times and on the worst case scenario a notification you read and everything just appears again on the peek dispaly (just today I read the same messege from a friend 3 times, the last time being 4 hours after the first time). This is one of the more irritating bugs.
  • The peek dispaly pops up randomly or when the phone moves or you bump the table or something (the waving over the phone thing is disabled). This is something that was a problem on Android 10, but it wasn't fixed in the update so I just included it here.

Chat bubbles:

• I will use facebook messenger as an example and I don't know if this is a bug or a feature but when I press the back arrow the animation gets wierd and the bubble disappears instead of just closing the chat and for the bubble to stay (at least that's what it did before) and I can't add a new conversations from the bubble (like i could before) instead I have to wait for somene to messege me for their bubble to appear (really annoying but I dont know if it was 'intended' this way)

Random stuff:

• The keyboard doesn't go all around the screen in some apps (sometimes there are just white stripes and it just looks weird).
  • The virtul button disappears sometimes and you have to reastart the phone for it to reaper again (the option disapperas even from the Moto app)
  • The karate chop flashlight shortcut isnt as accurate as before (the reaction laggs, sometimes I have to do it 2-3 times and the arthritic wrist feels the difference)
  • I experience more edge misclicks in apps like youtube but that can be just my imagination
  • And lastly I don't understand why you removed the swipe inwards for the virtual button and replaced it with the double tap (wich is, in my humble opinion, less accurate than the double tap for screen resizing in Android 10).

After the last update I was really disappointed in the software side of things and I think many people would appreciate it if there were more regular minor updates to make the experience more fluid and the software more stable becase this is the first time i had to restart my phone so many times in such a short period of time because it just decidet it doesnt want to work anymore.

I'm really sorry for the long post and I'd be grateful if these problems could be fixed somehow or if there is a way for me to go back to Android 10 (where non of these bugs were a problem, just the peek display randomly poping up xD). If thats not possible I'd really appreciate it if someone from Motorola could see this and maybe work the fixes in the next update or something.

Thank you in advance and best regards

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Views: 75931
  • Message 2 of 18

Re:Bugs in the Android 11 update

2021-04-28, 21:21 PM

@ seraphi wrote:

Hello,

After using Android 11 on my new Motorola Edge (2 moths old) for a little more than a month, I stumbled across a few bugs that vary from somewhat annoying to just plain irritating, so I was wandering if there are possible solutions to some of these or if I' just have to put up with it until the next update (if there will even be a new update?).

Split screen:

• You can' change the sizes of the windows anymore (25:75) and its locked on 50:50
  • If you touch the mid bar (i don' know what' it called) the screen flickers on press and realese (so 2 times for 1 click), and if you touch it on accident it can be really uncomfortable (maybe even dangerous if somenoe has epilepsy or something similar)
  • The keyboard doesn' show up sometimes (apps like youtube, whatsapp, chrome etc.) and you have to undo the split screen and set up everything again for it to finally show up

(For the first 2 point you can set the screen size to small and it fixes it somewhat, but thats just a workaround and not a complete fix)

Home screen:

• The animation are really laggy for the system apps and app drawer (laggy is a really nice way to put it)

(The fix for this is to disable the blur effect in developer options, but again, thats just a workaround for something we shouldn' have to deal with 1 moth after buying a new phone)

• There are times when you click an app and the app icon disappears for a second and the app launches with a delay (and when that happens once they all do it and you have to restart the phone for everything to work normally again)
  • The auto shutdown doesn' work sometimes and I don' really know what to do about this (this is one of those irritating buggs). The screen brightness dims normally and when the time comes for it to shutdown it just brightens up again (sometimes a restart helps)
  • Sometimes when I unlock the phone the upper half of the screen flickers black (just the upper halve goes black and than goes back to normal). Usually I have to restart the phone for this to go away but sometimes it does go away on its own (but than reapears again). This is honestly more scary than irritating because I dont want it to stay that way

• Fingerprint logo doesn' go away sometimes and I have to restart the phone again (I disabled the feature because of this)
  • Now, when I disabled the fingerprint sensor, the clock from the lock screen sometimes stay over everything but I can just ' it' again so its just mildly annoying
  • Seen notifications don' go away, or you can' even discard them (dragg them to the '' on peek display). Sometimes you have to do that 2-3 times and on the worst case scenario a notification you read and everything just appears again on the peek dispaly (just today I read the same messege from a friend 3 times, the last time being 4 hours after the first time). This is one of the more irritating bugs.
  • The peek dispaly pops up randomly or when the phone moves or you bump the table or something (the waving over the phone thing is disabled). This is something that was a problem on Android 10, but it wasn' fixed in the update so I just included it here.

Chat bubbles:

• I will use facebook messenger as an example and I don' know if this is a bug or a feature but when I press the back arrow the animation gets wierd and the bubble disappears instead of just closing the chat and for the bubble to stay (at least that' what it did before) and I can' add a new conversations from the bubble (like i could before) instead I have to wait for somene to messege me for their bubble to appear (really annoying but I dont know if it was '' this way)

Random stuff:

• The keyboard doesn' go all around the screen in some apps (sometimes there are just white stripes and it just looks weird).
  • The virtul button disappears sometimes and you have to reastart the phone for it to reaper again (the option disapperas even from the Moto app)
  • The karate chop flashlight shortcut isnt as accurate as before (the reaction laggs, sometimes I have to do it 2-3 times and the arthritic wrist feels the difference)
  • I experience more edge misclicks in apps like youtube but that can be just my imagination
  • And lastly I don' understand why you removed the swipe inwards for the virtual button and replaced it with the double tap (wich is, in my humble opinion, less accurate than the double tap for screen resizing in Android 10).

After the last update I was really disappointed in the software side of things and I think many people would appreciate it if there were more regular minor updates to make the experience more fluid and the software more stable becase this is the first time i had to restart my phone so many times in such a short period of time because it just decidet it doesnt want to work anymore.

I' really sorry for the long post and I' be grateful if these problems could be fixed somehow or if there is a way for me to go back to Android 10 (where non of these bugs were a problem, just the peek display randomly poping up xD). If thats not possible I' really appreciate it if someone from Motorola could see this and maybe work the fixes in the next update or something.

Thank you in advance and best regards

Hello and thanks for summarizing the issues you've had with the Android 11 update. I'll do my best to address them.

Split screen:

• You can' change the sizes of the windows anymore (25:75) and its locked on 50:50
    • We are aware of this and investigating
  • If you touch the mid bar (i don' know what' it called) the screen flickers on press and release (so 2 times for 1 click), and if you touch it on accident it can be really uncomfortable (maybe even dangerous if someone has epilepsy or something similar)
    • We are aware of this and investigating
  • The keyboard doesn't show up sometimes (apps like youtube, whatsapp, chrome etc.) and you have to undo the split-screen and set up everything again for it to finally show up
    • I've not been able to duplicate this one. If you can capture a video and a bug report. I'll share the bug report steps at the end of this reply.

Home screen:

• The animations are really laggy for the system apps and app drawer (laggy is a really nice way to put it)
    • We are aware and there will be improvements for this in a future update.
  • The auto-shutdown doesn't work sometimes and I don' really know what to do about this (this is one of those irritating bugs). The screen brightness dims normally and when the time comes for it to shutdown it just brightens up again (sometimes a restart helps)
    • We are aware and there will be improvements for this in a future update. It's related to issues with Bubbles. turning off Bubbles will provide a temporary workaround.
  • Sometimes when I unlock the phone the upper half of the screen flickers black (just the upper half goes black and then goes back to normal). Usually, I have to restart the phone for this to go away but sometimes it does go away on its own (but then reappears again). This is honestly more scary than irritating because I don't want it to stay that way
    • I have not seen or encountered this. Can you capture a video of this as well and share a bug report after you duplicate it?

• The fingerprint logo doesn't go away sometimes and I have to restart the phone again (I disabled the feature because of this)
  • Now, when I disabled the fingerprint sensor, the clock from the lock screen sometimes stay over everything but I can just ' it' again so it's just mildly annoying
    • Sorry, I'm unsure what you mean on this one, can you elaborate and share a screenshot/photo. I removed all my fingerprints and not seeing anything abnormal.
  • Seen notifications don' go away, or you can' even discard them (drag them to the '' on peek display). Sometimes you have to do that 2-3 times and on the worst case scenario, a notification you read and everything just appears again on the peek display (just today I read the same message from a friend 3 times, the last time being 4 hours after the first time). This is one of the more irritating bugs.
    • Are these for apps that you replied to using Bubbles? If so it's something we're looking into, but can't guarantee there will be improvements in this part
  • The peek display pops up randomly or when the phone moves or you bump the table or something (the waving over the phone thing is disabled). This is something that was a problem on Android 10, but it wasn't fixed in the update so I just included it here.
    • This is something that isn't a bug. Moto phones that have peek display all work the same way. Nudging or movement will wake up Peek Display. This is by design and there are no plans to remove it.

Chat bubbles:

• I will use Facebook messenger as an example and I don' know if this is a bug or a feature but when I press the back arrow the animation gets weird and the bubble disappears instead of just closing the chat and for the bubble to stay (at least that' what it did before) and I can' add a new conversation' from the bubble (like I could before) instead I have to wait for someone to message me for their bubble to appear (really annoying but I don't know if it was '' this way)
    • Sadly, this is currently how it works. Facebook Messenger bubbles react the same way on my Pixel 4a 5G too. This would be something Facebook or Google would have to change.

Random stuff:

• The keyboard doesn't go all around the screen in some apps (sometimes there are just white stripes and it just looks weird).
    • This is due to Google not utilizing the waterfall API for Android 11. Google would have to release an update for Gboard to take advantage of the edges.
  • The virtual button disappears sometimes and you have to restart the phone for it to reaper again (the option disappears even from the Moto app)
    • Which virtual button are you speaking of? 
  • The karate chop flashlight shortcut isn't as accurate as before (the reaction lags, sometimes I have to do it 2-3 times and the arthritic wrist feels the difference)
    • I haven't noticed this personally and haven't seen it reported by others. Mine is always very snappy. However, maybe take notice of something. When you see the lagging and performance issues, is this when it's laggy as well? This might be related to the overall laggy issues reported in the first point that we'll have improvements for.
    • Please share more detail on this. What is exactly happening when you're watching YouTube. Also, are you holding the phone in portrait or landscape?
  • And lastly, I don' understand why you removed the swipe inwards for the virtual button and replaced it with the double-tap (which is, in my humble opinion, less accurate than the double-tap for screen resizing in Android 10).
    • I'll pass this feedback along to the devs for that feature. I can't guarantee they will make any changes to it, but I'll make sure they see it.

Bug Report steps.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the bug report on the forums in a reply.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

9 Posts

12-08-2016

Portugal

24 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 3 of 18

android 11 update - PROBLEMS

2021-04-30, 19:09 PM

After the android 11 update I have many problems…
The screen doesn't automatically turn off anymore and when receive a notification also stays on, animations to buggy, the edge display is no longer edge, the DND (Do Not Disturb) also doesn't work and this was fixed by Google in the November (2020) security patch (we are almost in May 2021). The phone overall is to slow.

After 2 factory resets all the problems remains, very poor update from Motorola team…

Motorola shame on you!!!

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

Re:android 11 update - PROBLEMS

2021-04-30, 19:18 PM

@ nauti4upt wrote:

After the android 11 update I have many problems…
The screen doesn' automatically turn off anymore and when receive a notification also stays on, animations to buggy, the edge display is no longer edge, the DND (Do Not Disturb) also doesn' work and this was fixed by Google in the November (2020) security patch (we are almost in May 2021). The phone overall is to slow.

After 2 factory resets all the problems remains, very poor update from Motorola team…

Motorola shame on you!!!

Hello and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to see you're having issues after the update. We have an existing thread covering most of the things you're seeing. I will merge this conversation with the existing one so you can see my previous comments. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

04-28-2021

Croatia

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 5 of 18

2021-04-30, 22:47 PM

Hello and thank you for answering,

I haven't been able to capture a video of the keyboard bug in split screen yet, but I have taken a photo of the 'double lock screen' (I don't know what to call it but it's the one where the clock from the lock screen stays over everything once you unlock the phone and you have to 'unlock it' again). I have also captured the a video where one half of the screen goes black after I unlock the phone (in the post I said that the upper half goes black but in the video the bottom half does - this is, like, the second time that happened, usually it's the upper half).

I have also paid more attention to the repetitive notification and I noticed that, like you sad, it's only the ones involving Chat Bubbles (in my case facebook messseger).

I also notices that the the white stripes at the edges of the keyboard isn't just a problem invovling Gboard. You can see the same thing when changing the volumen in chrome, youtube or even the clock app (when setting the alarm for example). I have a photo of this too, but this one is easily reproducible (if it's not something wrong only my phone).

When i said 'virtual button' I ment the one witch you double tap to get to you six shortcuts. I also noticed that it disappears sometimes  if there is a chat bubble active and reappears again when you put the bubble away (it also  disappears randomly sometimes and you have to restart the phone for it to reappear again ).

For the karate chop flashlight shortcut I noticed that it's mostly laggy the first couple of times I do it and it gets snappy after that (as if it needs to get used to it).

For the youtube edge misclicks, it's mostly in landscape mode. My left hand index finger usually rests around the volumen keys and the problem is that for some reason the videos go backwards like 30-40 sec ( 2 taps means 10 sec, so that means the edge  registeres 6-8 misclicks at once, sometimes more). I don't want to split hairs, but I never had that problem on Android 10 and I think I didn't change my holding posture as soon as the new update came.

Also, I tried attaching the mentioned photos and videos but I couldn't. When I select the files I want it doesn't load them  for some reason - so I was wandering if I could get your email and send you the files there and if its necessary, for transparency or something, for you to post them here (or somewhere else).

I'll also try the workaround for the autoshutdown bug.

Thank you and best regards

Options

9 Posts

12-08-2016

Portugal

24 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2021-05-01, 4:15 AM

Hi Tom,

Can you please inform that you guys are going to sort it out the DND (Do Not Disturb) problem (very, very important to me and I can imagine to all…) and also the screen doesn't automatically turn off (sometimes after a reboot it does) even when receiving a notification?

I have another odd behaviour with my phone after the update… I use the two SIM's cards and I have set the preference manually, to use the SIM 1, (voice, data and messages), the problem is when I reboot the phone, for some reason the voice and data remains in SIM 1, but messages go to SIM 2…
Wating for your reply and keep safe.
Thanks.

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2021-05-04, 20:46 PM

@ nauti4upt wrote:

Hi Tom,

Can you please inform that you guys are going to sort it out the DND (Do Not Disturb) problem (very, very important to me and I can imagine to all…) and also the screen doesn' automatically turn off (sometimes after a reboot it does) even when receiving a notification?

I have another odd behaviour with my phone after the update… I use the two SIM' cards and I have set the preference manually, to use the SIM 1, (voice, data and messages), the problem is when I reboot the phone, for some reason the voice and data remains in SIM 1, but messages go to SIM 2…
Wating for your reply and keep safe.
Thanks.

Hello, yes, I've already escalated the DND not ringing through for starred contacts. The screen not turning off is due to a bug with Bubble notifications. That should be improved in a future update. As for the Dual-SIM part. This is a new one. I have no way to test that personally as mine is single SIM only. Can you recreate it and take a bug report as soon as the phone powers up and you see the setting changed? Steps below for creating the bug report.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the bug report on the forums in a reply.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks,

Tom

Options

1 Posts

05-05-2021

Italy

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 8 of 18

2021-05-05, 9:25 AM

I noticed something more about wifi and general connection.

With Android 10 wifi connection was "better": I saw that with Android 11 the wifi connection does not work in some places, but it was available before with Android 10. I suppose it's about a change in the wifi setting, and now it has a shorter "range". I see that in distant places from the wifi origin, when it was difficult - but possible - to have the wifi connection, now the phone see the net, but is no more able to enstablish a connection.

The signal strenght is the same for all the other places: same power in db for all the other spaces of the office or of the home. But in some places, when the signal was availabe, now it's not. Nothing has changed in our net settings, all the other phones work as usual.

Then, the phone signal have some change: sometimes it seems more difficult for the phone to change between 3g/4g/E/G; sometimes the signal is not available for seconds where with Android 10 there was no problem for a fast change of signal without interruptions.

Maybe someone else notice these things?

Options

5190 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3301 Signins

75931 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2021-05-05, 18:06 PM

@ Claude A wrote:

I noticed something more about wifi and general connection.

With Android 10 wifi connection was "better": I saw that with Android 11 the wifi connection does not work in some places, but it was available before with Android 10. I suppose it' about a change in the wifi setting, and now it has a shorter "range". I see that in distant places from the wifi origin, when it was difficult - but possible - to have the wifi connection, now the phone see the net, but is no more able to enstablish a connection.

The signal strenght is the same for all the other places: same power in db for all the other spaces of the office or of the home. But in some places, when the signal was availabe, now it' not. Nothing has changed in our net settings, all the other phones work as usual.

Then, the phone signal have some change: sometimes it seems more difficult for the phone to change between 3g/4g/E/G; sometimes the signal is not available for seconds where with Android 10 there was no problem for a fast change of signal without interruptions.

Maybe someone else notice these things?

Sorry to see you're having signal issues with both WiFi and Mobile data. Let's break this down into 2 pieces.

WiFi

Please share the following information and a bug report with wifi verbose enabled.

• WiFi router Make
  • WiFi router Model
  • WiFi security used
  • WiFi Channel used
  • WiFI Band (2.4 or 5)
  • Bug Report (Steps at the end of this reply)

Mobile Network

Please share the following information.

Thanks,

Tom

Bug Report with WiFi verbose steps.

2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Options

9 Posts

12-08-2016

Portugal

24 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2021-05-08, 18:24 PM

Hi Tom,

I already sent you a PM with the bug report, did you see it?

Thanks. Best regards

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms