Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 11 of 32

Motorola Edge Android 11 issues

2021-05-09, 17:14 PM

As soon as the update finishes the first thing you'll notice is how slow the home screen will run. The phone is supposed to have a 90hz refresh rate but it honestly seems as if it's running at at less than half that speed. The second thing you'll notice is how a lot of the apps will no longer support the Edge display which really sucks considering the selling point for this phone was the "Edge" display available for all applications. Third, Motorola gave the action bar less options. You are only able to double tap it to see apps meaning you can't swipe left to see them and you can no longer change whether the application you are currently using will use the Edge display or not. There are a few fixes for these problems in Developer options but until Motorola fixes these problems themselves I highly advise you steer clear of Android 11. Motorola needs to acknowledge these problems and figure out a solution. Alternatively, Motorola should allow customers a way for them to downgrade their phones back to Android 11 if they so wish.

Options

13965 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1298 Signins

176290 Page Views

• Views: 176290
  • Message 12 of 32

Re:Motorola Edge Android 11 issues

2021-05-09, 20:47 PM

Hi Jsquared1029

I will be glad to help you with this. First, I would suggest allow your phone to adjust with the update. Make sure all apps are up to date in Play Store. I'd like to confirm, did you lose apps in Edge display? May I know what apps are those? As for the third, I will ask a colleague to see if we can duplicate the behavior. I appreciate your feedback on this. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

05-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 13 of 32

2021-05-09, 21:00 PM

Hey Rich, thanks for responding to my post. I have already checked for app updates and all of them seem to be up to date. When it comes to the Edge display I've noticed that all Google apps no longer support it (with Duo as an exception) as well as a few apps such as Instagram, Twitter, and most entertainment applications. I forgot to include the fact that my battery is draining twice as fast as it previously did but I bet a hard reset could fix that. Thanks again for replying and I hope these problems can be fixed soon.

Options

15 Posts

08-21-2020

China

21 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 14 of 32

Re:Bugs in the Android 11 update

2021-05-10, 1:39 AM

Hi,Mine is android 11 North America Retail.

1.Google assistant problems:when you setup Voice Match in Google assistant,as you say "OK Google",it doesn't work(no response).

2.There is no response after clicking on VPN icon from notification bar.
while look into settings---network & internet ---advanced---VPN(none?)  ,actually there is a real VPN added by myself.and the VPN app can normally work itsetlf.

Options

5592 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3326 Signins

78346 Page Views

• Views: 78346
  • Message 15 of 32

2021-05-10, 18:13 PM

@ Jsquared1029 wrote:

Hey Rich, thanks for responding to my post. I have already checked for app updates and all of them seem to be up to date. When it comes to the Edge display I' noticed that all Google apps no longer support it (with Duo as an exception) as well as a few apps such as Instagram, Twitter, and most entertainment applications. I forgot to include the fact that my battery is draining twice as fast as it previously did but I bet a hard reset could fix that. Thanks again for replying and I hope these problems can be fixed soon.

Hello, I'm going to move this conversation to an existing thread for this. The slow/laggy performance on the home screen will be improved in a future update. As for the edge display, this is a change made by Google to require the new Waterfall API. App developers would have to take advantage of the new API to have the app wrap around the edge. As for the Edge touch, I will pass that feedback along. On the battery side, a factory reset might actually help, but if you can update your forum profile with the IMEI from your phone I can take a look as well. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

05-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 16 of 32

2021-05-10, 18:24 PM

Hello Tom, just updated my profile with the information. I really appreciate your help.

Options

5592 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3326 Signins

78346 Page Views

• Message 17 of 32

2021-05-10, 20:17 PM

@ Jsquared1029 wrote:

Hello Tom, just updated my profile with the information. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you, so I took a look and it looks like you had one bad day after the update, and yesterday it appears things were back to normal. Does that sound accurate? Otherwise, if we wait a week after the update, I can do a comparison before and after the update. The other option is you can do the factory reset as you mentioned, but personally, I don't like doing factory resets unless I have to.

Please let me know.

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

4 Posts

05-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 18 of 32

2021-05-10, 20:25 PM

I actually just finished a factory reset and am now waiting for my apps to reinstall. I'll give it some time and if anything goes wrong or something starts acting up I'll let you know.

Options

2 Posts

05-18-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 19 of 32

2021-05-18, 15:53 PM

Besides the bugs already listed, I have encountered two more things that are annoying:  (US Software release)

1.  Auto-rotate stops working (especially in You Tube).  This seems to be a common bug with Android 11 updates among various manufactures from what I have found.  Even Google had this issue reported on Pixels.  The fix is to reboot, but the issue comes back.  I have gotten it to stay fixed longer by clearing storage/cache for Android System Web View in apps and then rebooting...but it always seems to come back at some point.  

2.  Scrolling through the Google News feed (the one you access by swiping left on home screen), will sometimes get laggy, and then my device reboots on it's on.  I have also seen where this has been reported on other manufactures after updating to Android 11.  It doesn't always do this..but it has happened to be 4-5 times in the week I have had the update on my phone.

Options

5592 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3326 Signins

78346 Page Views

• Message 20 of 32

2021-05-18, 17:05 PM

@ JasonSCarter wrote:

Besides the bugs already listed, I have encountered two more things that are annoying:  (US Software release)

1.  Auto-rotate stops working (especially in You Tube).  This seems to be a common bug with Android 11 updates among various manufactures from what I have found.  Even Google had this issue reported on Pixels.  The fix is to reboot, but the issue comes back.  I have gotten it to stay fixed longer by clearing storage/cache for Android System Web View in apps and then rebooting...but it always seems to come back at some point.  

2.  Scrolling through the Google News feed (the one you access by swiping left on home screen), will sometimes get laggy, and then my device reboots on it' on.  I have also seen where this has been reported on other manufactures after updating to Android 11.  It doesn' always do this..but it has happened to be 4-5 times in the week I have had the update on my phone.

Thanks for reporting these. Yes, both are seen on Pixel as well with Android 11. However, I don't experience rebooting on my Pixel when I get the lag. The next time that happens, can you generate a bug report?

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms