Options

63 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

75 Signins

730 Page Views

• Views: 730
  • Message 1 of 21

Camera manual focus mode set to infinity is wrong. Furthest object in the frame gets a bit blurry.

2020-09-03, 12:16 PM

Hello! 

I am a new Motorola Edge user, I bought the phone about 2-3 weeks ago and I am enjoying it so far.

I am also a photographer and I'm posting this topic because I have found a problem with the manual focus of my phone camera. The infinite setting is wrong, whenever I set the focus to the infinite icon it blurs/softens the furthest object in the frame. This does not happen on automatic mode where I select the focus by touching the said object.

To be more precise I have used the following settings. 1st, full auto. 2nd mode manual with everything else set to auto except for the manual focus set to infinity. I have used the standard zoom camera only. I have attached these 2 pictures and made notes on them to be easier to compare. I haven't processed them in anyway except for auto align and manually fixing the horizon alignment. I am 100% Iv'e hold still the phone in both photos. I can provide more images if requested.

I hope this can be fixed through a software update, I don't want to go through all the hassle to return my phone. 

Thank you for your time, I'm looking forward to your reply.

EDIT, please see attachments in order to zoom in. PS: Make sure you save the attachments with .jpg termination, it seems it doesn't want to add them automatically.

Options

4268 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3229 Signins

69616 Page Views

• Views: 69616
  • Message 2 of 21

Re:Camera manual focus mode set to infinity is wrong. Furthest object in the frame gets a bit blurry.

2020-09-03, 12:38 PM

@ CrisC wrote:

Hello! 

I am a new Motorola Edge user, I bought the phone about 2-3 weeks ago and I am enjoying it so far.

I am also a photographer and I'm posting this topic because I have found a problem with the manual focus of my phone camera. The infinite setting is wrong, whenever I set the focus to the infinite icon it blurs/softens the furthest object in the frame. This does not happen on automatic mode where I select the focus by touching the said object.

To be more precise I have used the following settings. 1st, full auto. 2nd mode manual with everything else set to auto except for the manual focus set to infinity. I have used the standard zoom camera only. I have attached these 2 pictures and made notes on them to be easier to compare. I haven't processed them in anyway except for auto align and manually fixing the horizon alignment. I am 100% Iv'e hold still the phone in both photos. I can provide more images if requested.

I hope this can be fixed through a software update, I don't want to go through all the hassle to return my phone. 

Thank you for your time, I'm looking forward to your reply.

EDIT, please see attachments in order to zoom in. PS: Make sure you save the attachments with .jpg termination, it seems it doesn't want to add them automatically.

Hello, and thanks for sharing your feedback. Let me get this over to our camera team and see if I can get some feedback. While I wait for their feedback, can you ensure you updated the camera tuner app that was just released yesterday? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.imagertuning_foles

I'd like to see if that has any improvements. Let me know.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

63 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

75 Signins

730 Page Views

• Message 3 of 21

Re:Camera manual focus mode set to infinity is wrong. Furthest object in the frame gets a bit blurry.

2020-09-03, 12:58 PM

Hello! 

Thanks for the fast reply. 

Yes I have updated it yesterday, see screenshot below. I like to keep my phone up to date.

I checked before and after that update and it was still giving me problems so I've decided to post here because I don't know where else to reach for Motorola team directly. :-)

PS: I have added 2 more photo samples please send these to the team as well. Thank you!

EDIT, I have removed and added different photos since I discovered my hand moved a bit while taking them. Please see these in attachment.

Options

4268 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3229 Signins

69616 Page Views

• Message 4 of 21

2020-09-03, 16:40 PM

@ CrisC wrote:

Hello! 

Thanks for the fast reply. 

Yes I have updated it yesterday, see screenshot below. I like to keep my phone up to date.

I checked before and after that update and it was still giving me problems so I've decided to post here because I don't know where else to reach for Motorola team directly. :-)

PS: I have added 2 more photo samples please send these to the team as well. Thank you!

EDIT, I have removed and added different photos since I discovered my hand moved a bit while taking them. Please see these in attachment.

Thanks for confirming you had that app updated. I've sent all 4 attachments to our camera team. I'll be completely honest, I can't see any difference between them. Then again, my eyes aren't that good. If you wouldn't mind can you put a red circle around an object that shows the focus issue? Example circle the object on a good photo and a bad photo so I know exactly where to look at.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

63 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

75 Signins

730 Page Views

• Message 5 of 21

2020-09-03, 17:39 PM

Hello!

I am sorry you couldn't see the difference but it is quite an obvious difference if you zoom in to 50% or 100%. No problem, I have marked the area,

I have made some rectangular frames around the buildings where you can see a better difference between in focus and out of focus and I took even more photos to show this problem. 

I have uploaded them all to a folder on my GoogleDrive because it was easier than attaching them here.

Here is the link  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WjNZL8oyKnNlyg5_vmfu7TnvHxQSpOqj?usp=sharing

You can share the link with the team, it has more photos and are more obvious.

Thank you!

Options

63 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

75 Signins

730 Page Views

• Message 6 of 21

2020-09-04, 14:03 PM

Hello !

Do you have any update on this problem? Have you also checked the photos from the GoogleDrive link? Are more samples needed?

Options

36 Posts

08-10-2020

United States of America

34 Signins

405 Page Views

• Views: 405
  • Message 7 of 21

2020-09-06, 19:06 PM

@mototom I don't know if it's the exact replicated issue, but the focus on mine has a nightmare of a time taking photos of receipts for expense reports. Up close, it's super blurry. I have to take 3-4 times to get it usable. All the apps are up to date, the phone is up to date, there's no smudges on camera lens. I use the stock camera app and google photos. 

Options

63 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

75 Signins

730 Page Views

• Message 8 of 21

2020-09-06, 20:32 PM

@Android4EvaHi! It's not the same issue, from what I read from your description you have problems focusing up close whereas I have problems with camera's infinity setting (the two mountains icon from manual focus settings) which is giving me unfocused photos due to it being set wrong. I've moved the slider a few millimeters to the left of the said icon and the focus is sharp. (But this is only a workaround I've found and it shouldn't be like this) Did you try the macro mode? It has a flower icon. That should help you take close up photos. As for explaining what I am talking about in terms of photography - infinity focus means that at that setting the focus ( the clarity in your photo ) it will start from your feet to the farthest point which you see with your eyes. More exactly when you're at the infinity everything should be in focus from close up to the far background. It's a bit more complicated to explain but yea this said point can be misplaced even on some DSLR or mirorrless lenses. Which is marked on them on the side.

Options

63 Posts

09-03-2020

Romania

75 Signins

730 Page Views

• Message 9 of 21

2020-09-14, 11:58 AM

@MotorolaTom Hi! It's been some weeks, no update on this problem? Why is it completely ignored?

Options

4268 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3229 Signins

69616 Page Views

• Message 10 of 21

2020-09-14, 14:52 PM

@ CrisC wrote:

@MotorolaTom Hi! It's been some weeks, no update on this problem? Why is it completely ignored?

I'm sorry, I'm not ignoring you. For some reason, this thread did not show any updates on my end. I apologize. Anyways, let me look at the new images you shared and get them over to my camera team for further feedback.

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms