Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

02-05-2018

United States of America

62 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 1 of 6

Don't have WiFi for update

2021-03-20, 18:29 PM

Hi,  

I keep getting update notices on my Motorola Edge but, when I try to update, it says I need WiFi. We don't have WiFi. Short of trying to find a business in a nearby town that has free WiFi, is there any other alternative? It's frustrating.

Answer
Options

4892 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Views: 74106

Re:Don't have WiFi for update

2021-03-22, 2:40 AM

@ esjayy wrote:

Hi,  

I keep getting update notices on my Motorola Edge but, when I try to update, it says I need WiFi. We don' have WiFi. Short of trying to find a business in a nearby town that has free WiFi, is there any other alternative? It' frustrating.

Hello and thanks for posting. So, many updates, especially larger OS updates, require WiFi. If you have another phone with an active data connection you can enable wifi hotspot on that phone and then connect to that wifi network with your Edge. If you don't have another active phone, then the only option would be to find an open WiFi network you can connect to. 

Let me know if you do have another active phone and were able to use the Hotspot workaround.

-Tom

FYI, we (the moto support team) do not actively monitor the community on the weekends so there may be delays in getting back to you.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

4892 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2021-03-22, 2:40 AM

@ esjayy wrote:

Hi,  

I keep getting update notices on my Motorola Edge but, when I try to update, it says I need WiFi. We don' have WiFi. Short of trying to find a business in a nearby town that has free WiFi, is there any other alternative? It' frustrating.

Hello and thanks for posting. So, many updates, especially larger OS updates, require WiFi. If you have another phone with an active data connection you can enable wifi hotspot on that phone and then connect to that wifi network with your Edge. If you don't have another active phone, then the only option would be to find an open WiFi network you can connect to. 

Let me know if you do have another active phone and were able to use the Hotspot workaround.

-Tom

FYI, we (the moto support team) do not actively monitor the community on the weekends so there may be delays in getting back to you.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

45 Posts

02-05-2018

United States of America

62 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-03-22, 3:08 AM

Hi Tom, thank you for answering. Am I correct in understanding you're talking about some sort of tethering? If so, I don't think that's going to work for me. I'm assuming that's something I'd have to set up with my carrier. Our library normally has free WiFi but has gone to very limited service because of Covid and, apparently, they shut down their WiFi. I may just have to wait until this whole pandemic thing is over. If it ever is. Thank you.

Options

4892 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-03-23, 0:40 AM

@ esjayy wrote:

Hi Tom, thank you for answering. Am I correct in understanding you' talking about some sort of tethering? If so, I don' think that' going to work for me. I' assuming that' something I' have to set up with my carrier. Our library normally has free WiFi but has gone to very limited service because of Covid and, apparently, they shut down their WiFi. I may just have to wait until this whole pandemic thing is over. If it ever is. Thank you.

Yeah, that would be tethering that I'm talking about, most carriers offer some type of tethering/hotspot allowance with their plans, Maybe check with them just to see. Otherwise, I'm unsure what the restrictions/limitations are in your state or county, but maybe you could drive and park next to a Starbucks. They might still have their public WiFI enabled. Other stores with Public WiFI that I know of, in my area at least, are Mcdonalds, Ulta Beauty (which works well when sitting in the car waiting for the wife to finish her shopping), Panera, and Dunkin Donuts. I can usually pick up some of them from the parking lots, but your mileage may vary.  However, even if you do end up waiting, please keep me updated. I want to ensure you do eventually get the phone updated.

-Tom 

Options

45 Posts

02-05-2018

United States of America

62 Signins

398 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-03-23, 21:35 PM

Thank you. Yes, I had checked into tethering a while back and chose not to do it at the time. I suspect, until the library gets back online, I'll have to cruise the town and see what I can pick up. But thanks for giving me the information. Now I know what I'm working with.  :-)

Options

4892 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-03-24, 19:04 PM

@ esjayy wrote:

Thank you. Yes, I had checked into tethering a while back and chose not to do it at the time. I suspect, until the library gets back online, I' have to cruise the town and see what I can pick up. But thanks for giving me the information. Now I know what I' working with.  :-)

It's my pleasure. I'm glad I was at least able to give you the information needed. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any other questions or concerns in the future. Also, if you do see a prompt/pop-up in the future here in the community regarding a survey and you don't mind taking a moment to fill it out that would be awesome.  

Thanks,

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms