Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

35 Posts

10-25-2020

Argentina

42 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 1 of 7

ELS

2021-03-20, 11:14 AM

Hi

Since the last security update I receive during a phone call popups warnings "ELS request" (translated from Spanish)

This windows appears and disappears every certain quantity of seconds. I have not set emergency numbers

Is there a way to avoid this window to show up?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

Answer
Options

35 Posts

10-25-2020

Argentina

42 Signins

215 Page Views

Re:ELS

2021-03-23, 9:26 AM

It seems I have found the key after sending above message.

When I tapped in the warning to the lef side of the screen I saw a configuration wheel. Inside this field I disabled "network warnings" and It does not popup now.

Nevetheless I cannot find that setting to set if later but really I don't care. Thans for your time and help.

Replies(6)
Options

4891 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Views: 74106
  • Message 2 of 7

2021-03-22, 2:26 AM

@ Pala1955 wrote:

Hi

Since the last security update I receive during a phone call popups warnings "ELS request" (translated from Spanish)

This windows appears and disappears every certain quantity of seconds. I have not set emergency numbers

Is there a way to avoid this window to show up?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

Hello, this is really strange. ELS has been around on Android since Android 4.1. While it can be associated with emergency contacts/numbers, its primary use is to provide location information to emergency systems. For example in the US to 911. You can learn more about ELS here: https://crisisresponse.google/emergencylocationservice/how-it-works/

I'm curious did you recently have to call any emergency services from your phone? I know in the times where I've had to dial 911, the ELS feature will stay on for a period of time even after I've finished speaking with the emergency services. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

35 Posts

10-25-2020

Argentina

42 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-03-22, 11:47 AM

Thank you Tom for answering

I only set the phone numbers of my wife, my son and my daughter into "Emergency contacts" (believing these numbers could have been accessed even with a locked screen) in case of an accident anyone could make a phone call to one of them. I presume for your answer I messed it up including those numbers. Did I ? By the way I have never made an emergency call .

Thanks for helping

Best regards

Carlos

Options

4891 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-03-23, 0:25 AM

@ Pala1955 wrote:

Thank you Tom for answering

I only set the phone numbers of my wife, my son and my daughter into "Emergency contacts" (believing these numbers could have been accessed even with a locked screen) in case of an accident anyone could make a phone call to one of them. I presume for your answer I messed it up including those numbers. Did I ? By the way I have never made an emergency call .

Thanks for helping

Best regards

Carlos

Hi Carlos, no, setting emergency contacts should not trigger ELS. However, are you seeing that message only when calling them? How are you initiating the calls to them? Are you using the Emergency Dialer from the lock screen to initiate the calls? 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

35 Posts

10-25-2020

Argentina

42 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-03-23, 8:50 AM

Hi Tom

After doing a lot of tests:

I don't have in the lock screen a phone shortcut. Only have voice assistance on the lower left corner and camera on the lower right. ELS triggers when I make a regular phone call to any local 3-digit-phone number  which are not qualified as emergency numbers  (i.e.social security, City hall or the retired  pension entity phone number among them) . I have noticed that phone calls to 8 digit numbers (regular phone numbers) do not trigger ELS popup

As an additional info  I had disabled Wifi phone calls because I noticed that they randomly work out of my control and when it does, some phone calls  in the backyard of home at a  substantial distance from router the person I was talking to, has interruptions, so I am using 4g only and I reserve WIFI callings when needed enablig airplane mode along with wifi . (I'd say this is nothing relevant with ELS)

On the other hand when ELS triggers I cannot delete the waring from the screen unless I restart the phone. (pls see enclosure) but during the phone call these warning pop up appears several times with a "ding" that is annoying.

Thanks for helping

Carlos

Answer
Options

35 Posts

10-25-2020

Argentina

42 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-03-23, 9:26 AM

When I tapped in the warning to the lef side of the screen I saw a configuration wheel. Inside this field I disabled "network warnings" and It does not popup now.

Nevetheless I cannot find that setting to set if later but really I don't care. Thans for your time and help.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4891 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3279 Signins

74106 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-03-23, 18:43 PM

@ Pala1955 wrote:

Nevetheless I cannot find that setting to set if later but really I don' care. Thans for your time and help.

Awesome, I'm glad you got it to stop showing up. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you have any further questions or concerns. We'll be here to help.

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms