08-13-2012

US

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 1 of 24

Edge+ Wifi and 4G Connection Problema

2020-05-22, 13:31 PM
Is anyone else having major connectivity problems with their Edge+? My Wifi disconnects absolutely all day long... On and off, on and off. Sometimes it searches and cannot find any networks, sometimes it connects but says no internet. Sometimes it shows my Wifi and says "saved" but won't connect to it. But the problem extends beyond Wifi. Even if I turn off WiFi altogether, my 4G signal seems to go out at the same time. I'll be stuck loading on Facebook, Chrome, or whatever app I'm on, but turning off WiFi won't fix it usually. Even once the 4G link is established, the phone just sits there loading for 20-30 seconds, and often once it does load, it only loads text... Photos take even longer. This is not a signal problem. My Moto Z3 that I just turned off for the Edge+ had zero connection problems. Same house, same network. The Z1 before it was fine, too, as was my X2. It's this phone. I am dumbfounded and deeply disappointed. Just as I've typed this the WiFi has disconnected 6 times. Will this even post? Who knows. I paid so much for this phone and it has the worst connection of any smartphone I've ever owned. Is this common? I don't want to request a USED replacement (that's how Verizon rolls), loose my screen protector, and then still have this problem. Thanks!
Options

20 Posts

08-13-2012

US

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 2 of 24

Re:Edge+ Wifi and 4G Connection Problema

2020-05-22, 13:38 PM
Ignore my typos (problema, loose). I don't have my contacts in. My bad. Promise I'm literate 🤣
Options

17982 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2254 Signins

54277 Page Views

• Views: 54277
  • Message 3 of 24

2020-05-22, 13:54 PM

@ mediumbluemetal wrote:

Is anyone else having major connectivity problems with their Edge+? My Wifi disconnects absolutely all day long... On and off, on and off. Sometimes it searches and cannot find any networks, sometimes it connects but says no internet. Sometimes it shows my Wifi and says "saved" but won't connect to it. But the problem extends beyond Wifi. Even if I turn off WiFi altogether, my 4G signal seems to go out at the same time. I'll be stuck loading on Facebook, Chrome, or whatever app I'm on, but turning off WiFi won't fix it usually. Even once the 4G link is established, the phone just sits there loading for 20-30 seconds, and often once it does load, it only loads text... Photos take even longer. This is not a signal problem. My Moto Z3 that I just turned off for the Edge+ had zero connection problems. Same house, same network. The Z1 before it was fine, too, as was my X2. It's this phone.I am dumbfounded and deeply disappointed. Just as I've typed this the WiFi has disconnected 6 times. Will this even post? Who knows. I paid so much for this phone and it has the worst connection of any smartphone I've ever owned. Is this common? I don't want to request a USED replacement (that's how Verizon rolls), loose my screen protector, and then still have this problem.Thanks!

Hi.

No, that's unexpected. Mine is fine. Let's try some troubleshooting.

Here are some basic steps we recommend at the bottom of this WiFi FAQ.

Can you also please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks!

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

20 Posts

08-13-2012

US

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 4 of 24

2020-05-22, 14:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I've updated my profile with the information you requested.

I did go through all of the wifi troubleshooting steps (except for the factory reset, which is a giant pain and has never solved a problem for me before). Thanks for looking into this! I think my Moto privacy settings are all turned on, but let me know if not. You're welcome to look at my apps... THANK YOU!

Options

17982 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2254 Signins

54277 Page Views

• Message 5 of 24

2020-05-22, 18:27 PM

@ mediumbluemetal wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! I've updated my profile with the information you requested.

I did go through all of the wifi troubleshooting steps (except for the factory reset, which is a giant pain and has never solved a problem for me before). Thanks for looking into this! I think my Moto privacy settings are all turned on, but let me know if not. You're welcome to look at my apps... THANK YOU!

Hi.

Can you post your Wifi make, model, security type, and band 2.4 or 5ghz, if possible, and confirm that the router software is up-to-date?

No one has asked for  this yet (we may at some point), but if you want to generate and send us a bug report, here are the instructions. This is not as complicated as it seems and it can help.

1. Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to enable Developer Mode
2. After the above steps, Developer Mode options will be enabled under Settings > System / Advanced > Developer options
3. Go to Developer options > Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Go to Developer options > Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Go to Developer options  > Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Developer options > Click on take bug report OR Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive and send it in an email to supportforums@motorola.com. Please include a link to this topic thread so we know what the report is for.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

20 Posts

08-13-2012

US

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 6 of 24

2020-05-23, 0:13 AM

I appreciate these tips. 

My router is supplied by Comcast/Xfinity. I logged into the gateway and gathered some information about it. I'm unable to tell if the software of the router is up-to-date, but Comcast routinely updates the device on their own, so I imagine the software is fairly recent.

Model: TG1682G

Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 10.1.27B.SIP.PC20.CT

Security mode: WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

The router provides both a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz connection, and the default setting from Comcast was to name the SSID the same for both and use the same password. Not sure if this is typical. Back when I used my own private router, I had different SSIDs and passwords for the different frequencies. I checked which one my phone was connected to, and I watched the phone cycle back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz in Network details. I never have this kind of WiFi problem, so I've not looked into which frequency my prior phones have been connected to, but it seems unusual that the listed frequency would change while I sat looking at it. I could easily rename the 5 GHz frequency if there's any chance the double name/same password could be the problem. I don't know why the phone was switching between the two, but I imagine 5 GHz might have problems reaching to all ends of the house. This might explain why sometimes the signal works fine and sometimes it's terrible.

The problem comes and goes, but I will be sure to generate a bug report using the steps you supplied if I encounter another issue with the phone cycling on and off of WiFi. Thanks again.

Options

3 Posts

05-16-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 7 of 24

2020-05-23, 4:08 AM
I have also had wi-fi issues that I never had with my Z2 Force. And, I have more "black hole" issues with this phone on my regular work route that I never had with my previous phone. I did notice that my wi-fi worked better at home prior to the update to the phones software.
Options

20 Posts

08-13-2012

US

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 8 of 24

2020-05-23, 13:10 PM

Matt,

I experienced a major WiFi problem this morning and emailed the bug report and a detailed description of what I was experiencing. Thanks again for your help and for looking into this. It would be great to get to the bottom of these connection problems. The phone is acting like an old computer I once owned that had a bad WiFi card...

Options

17982 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2254 Signins

54277 Page Views

• Message 9 of 24

2020-05-23, 17:19 PM

@ mediumbluemetal wrote:

Matt,

I experienced a major WiFi problem this morning and emailed the bug report and a detailed description of what I was experiencing. Thanks again for your help and for looking into this. It would be great to get to the bottom of these connection problems. The phone is acting like an old computer I once owned that had a bad WiFi card...

Hi.

Thanks very much -- we will get it to the right people. 

I hope you understand that because of the holiday weekend, it will be at least Tuesday before I have anything to report.

-Matt

Options

20 Posts

08-13-2012

US

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 10 of 24

2020-05-23, 19:28 PM
I truly appreciate it. Thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save