Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

07-26-2020

Canada

24 Signins

255 Page Views

• Views: 255
  • Message 11 of 41

Re:Flashing pixels

2020-08-20, 3:25 AM

I personally haven't seen this on my phone yet and I have been using it for roughly a month now.  

Options

7 Posts

08-19-2020

Romania

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 12 of 41

2020-08-20, 22:28 PM
Just noticed that the issue is especially more noticeable at night due to low light.Also noticed that if you turn on the night light al maximum and also the adaptive brightness you will see the sensor more clearly.So to avoid seeing the sensors flashing try to turn off the night light and the adaptive brightness, just keep it on manual and you will not see the sensor anymore.
Options

27 Posts

04-28-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

25 Signins

300 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 300
  • Message 13 of 41

2020-08-20, 22:41 PM

Hi, just noticed the same on my Edge Plus. Guess it is after recent update

Options

12 Posts

08-25-2020

Canada

16 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 14 of 41

2020-08-25, 15:27 PM

Having the exact same issue. I originally only noticed these flashing pixels on the Lock Screen (any brightness), but after the "QPB30.188-58" update, these dots are visible on every screen, at any brightness. Unfortunately out of buyers remorse period with my Cell Provider, and while I was considering sending this back for replacement, the fact that other people are experiencing the same issue tells me this is something that could/should be resolved with an update?  (Motorola Edge+)

UPDATE (08/25/2020) - I just spoke with Motorola (Canada) Support. They confirmed these lights are in fact the "proximity sensor" and are not burnt, or malfunctioning pixels however, the Support Rep also claimed this flashing is "normal" and I should expect to see these blinking lights whenever I am using the phone. I mentioned that these lights/pixels were not noticeable prior to the latest software update, and asked if there was a way to turn this off (as they can be quite distracting), but was advised that there is no option to do so. I recommended that this issue be passed up the to the developers, as this could deter many potential buyers from purchasing this phone. The Support Rep said she would do so, but also recommended that I post this update in the forums as it would gain the most visibility from the Dev/Engineering team. 

For now, it seems we're going to have to live with this. (but take some comfort in the fact that your phone is not broken)

Options

19892 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2512 Signins

63333 Page Views

• Views: 63333
  • Message 15 of 41

2020-08-27, 14:30 PM

@ Canaphone wrote:

Having the exact same issue. I originally only noticed these flashing pixels on the Lock Screen (any brightness), but after the "QPB30.188-58" update, these dots are visible on every screen, at any brightness. Unfortunately out of buyers remorse period with my Cell Provider, and while I was considering sending this back for replacement, the fact that other people are experiencing the same issue tells me this is something that could/should be resolved with an update?  (Motorola Edge+)

UPDATE (08/25/2020) - I just spoke with Motorola (Canada) Support. They confirmed these lights are in fact the "proximity sensor" and are not burnt, or malfunctioning pixels however, the Support Rep also claimed this flashing is "normal" and I should expect to see these blinking lights whenever I am using the phone. I mentioned that these lights/pixels were not noticeable prior to the latest software update, and asked if there was a way to turn this off (as they can be quite distracting), but was advised that there is no option to do so. I recommended that this issue be passed up the to the developers, as this could deter many potential buyers from purchasing this phone. The Support Rep said she would do so, but also recommended that I post this update in the forums as it would gain the most visibility from the Dev/Engineering team. 

For now, it seems we're going to have to live with this. (but take some comfort in the fact that your phone is not broken)

Hi.

Yes, this is what I said before. But let me be clear about this -- not sure I was before.

• If the pixels flash occasionally, the phone is working as designed.
  • If you ALWAYS see the three pixels, then the display is damaged and should be repaired or replaced.

Hope this helps. Very sorry if you are facing a damaged display. Let me know if you need help.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

7 Posts

08-19-2020

Romania

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 16 of 41

2020-08-28, 5:42 AM
No it was not really helpful, at first you were talking about proximity sensors and now you are saying it’s a damaged display.What is “occassionaly” and what is “always” in your opinion?
Options

19892 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2512 Signins

63333 Page Views

• Views: 63333
  • Message 17 of 41

2020-08-28, 15:18 PM

@ mab86 wrote:

No it was not really helpful, at first you were talking about proximity sensors and now you are saying it’s a damaged display.What is “occassionaly” and what is “always” in your opinion?

Hi.

I'll try again.

• Always means the three pixels are lit all the time. 
  • Occasionally means they flash once in a while. 
  • It is the sensor hub flashing, but if it doesn't flash but instead the three pixels are lit all the time, it means the display is damaged.

Hope that helps.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

7 Posts

08-19-2020

Romania

14 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 18 of 41

2020-08-28, 15:51 PM
Ok,now i understand,thank you for making it easier for me to understand.
Options

1 Posts

08-22-2020

Italy

7 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 19 of 41

2020-08-28, 23:37 PM

I'm experiencing the same issue. Actually, you can disable all sensors (including the proximity one) through the sensor control tile, which can be activated from the Android Developer Settings menu. Obviously, it's not an advisable workaround; I used it for a quick test on my phone, recording a short video that shows the persistent blinking only when sensors are enabled. While this may very well be a hardware issue, I doubt that: in my case, it only started after updating to the latest software build (QPB30.188-58, reteu channel). A search for "proximity" in the Logcat shows a few errors related to this sensor, but I can't tell if they're actually linked to the problem. However, I'm available for further testing in case the engineering team requires that.

Options

12 Posts

08-25-2020

Canada

16 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 20 of 41

2020-08-29, 23:18 PM

Matt, thank you for the reply. 

With regards to my issue, the 3 lights are not "lit all the time" , however, they are visibly flashing, or blinking all the time. The brightness and visibility of these dots will vary, but I can always see them blinking away in the corner of my screen. As I also noted, this was not an issue prior to the August 1st update. (there is also no physical damage to the phone)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms