Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-23-2021

Germany

11 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 1 of 4

Linux-support in ready for

2021-03-25, 19:04 PM

Hi,

I did not get the update to Android 11 yet(europe) but I saw there is a new feature called "ready for", which is as I understand a feature which wants to replace a pc. But I think this feature would be better with Linux-support because you can also use real desktop-apps. I know this is also possible with Termux and AnLinux or Andronix but you'll need to use VNC and there is no guarantee that the camera and microphone will work.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Linux-support in ready for

2021-03-26, 14:06 PM

@ morta5 wrote:

Hi,

I did not get the update to Android 11 yet(europe) but I saw there is a new feature called "ready for", which is as I understand a feature which wants to replace a pc. But I think this feature would be better with Linux-support because you can also use real desktop-apps. I know this is also possible with Termux and AnLinux or Andronix but you' need to use VNC and there is no guarantee that the camera and microphone will work.

Hi.

I don't know if it so much is intended to "replace a PC" as a way to have a better view of your phone. 

If you are referring to the mic or camera that may be installed in a monitor, that's a good question. It's possible you are correct and those won't override the phone's mic and camera. I'll see what I can find out.

Regards,

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

23 Posts

01-01-2021

Canada

23 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-03-26, 14:54 PM

I was a proud owner of Atrix 4G and I can tell you, Motorola was ahead of its time with the laptop dock for that phone. It also had a fingerprint scanner, unheard of back then.

Ready For, if done right, can undoubtedly make Motorola shine out in the market. DeX has picked up in usage and undoubtedly adoption will increase with time.

The kernel is based on Linux, the apps won't work because of the architecture (phones use ARM, laptops use x86). I think if Motorola provides code for Ready For to developers and works closely with XDA/GitHub and other communities, it can make significant head ways in this area.

If I were running this ship, I would take it to this port.

Options

6 Posts

01-23-2021

Germany

11 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-03-26, 16:41 PM

because the Raspberry Pi 4 does also use ARM-architecture, there is already a lot of software with ARM-support and because I am already using Linux with a desktop-environment on my phone, I do know that the phone defenetly has the power to run it.

The problem I currently have, is that the apps I am using on my phone to run Linux, do not support using my camera or microphone in the Linux-containers.

If developers would integrate this feature to ready for, the phone would have the same features as a chromebook & people who are currently using this with Termux, AnLinux and a VNC-viewer would have microphone and camera access when using Linux in ready for. Developers do not even need to write this from scratch, both Termux and AnLinux are open-sourced

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms