11-27-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 4

Moto Edge SD card formatting

2020-12-27, 0:39 AM

Just received a new Moto Edge and installed a new high speed 1 TB SD card,  but cannot get it to show an option to format as internal memory. Was the advertising wrong or am I missing something? The only reason I bought the MOTO was because Samsung doesn't allow SD use as internal memory and lots of info on the WEB seemed to indicate Motorola allowed this practice.  Any help on getting to the format choice option? 

Options

1554 Posts

08-15-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

522 Signins

13340 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 13340
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Moto Edge SD card formatting

2020-12-27, 21:14 PM

Most phones these days forbid formatting SD card as internal memory. SD cards are just not reliable or fast enough compared to internal flash memory. You will have to install apps on the phone internal memory and app data (depending on the app) may be allowed to be stored on an SD card.

🎄

■ I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. ■
Options

6 Posts

11-27-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-12-27, 21:50 PM

Everything I read on the Web was indicating Motorola allowed that, and the only caveat was to use one of the new ultra high speed cards which I did. Costly too. I wouldnt have done so if I had known MOTO locked the option now as I was considering another Samsung, but they have been locking it for years as well. We should have the choice regardless. I had to trick my Galaxy Tab S2 to use a fast SD card and now it does. I'm not a gamer so there is no app now on that "internal" memory SD card that is running any slower than it did on the original internal memory. Might have to find a way to trick the MOTO as well.

Appreciate your response.

Options

4254 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3228 Signins

69526 Page Views

• Views: 69526
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-12-28, 22:01 PM

@ PGI Conch wrote:

Everything I read on the Web was indicating Motorola allowed that, and the only caveat was to use one of the new ultra high speed cards which I did. Costly too. I wouldnt have done so if I had known MOTO locked the option now as I was considering another Samsung, but they have been locking it for years as well. We should have the choice regardless. I had to trick my Galaxy Tab S2 to use a fast SD card and now it does. I' not a gamer so there is no app now on that "internal" memory SD card that is running any slower than it did on the original internal memory. Might have to find a way to trick the MOTO as well.

Appreciate your response.

Hello, Cuddly is correct the Moto Edge and many other models do not support formatting SD Card as internal. I'm curious where did you see on our page that it supports formatting the SD Card as internal. I just look at the SD Card FAQ for the Edge and it does not mention it: https://support.motorola.com/us/en/Solution/MS152367

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms