Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

10-06-2020

Canada

14 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 8

Motorola Edge plus BDS Support Canada

2021-03-30, 2:55 AM

So I've got a Motorola Edge plus from my service provider in Canada, and I do commute through the downtown of a metropolitan area quite a bit, and I was just wondering why doesn't the Canadian version of the OS not support the BDS GPS constellation? The website states that the US version is the only exception to this support. Therefore, it would be great if the developers could perhaps add support for the BDS satellite constellation. Unless limited by local regulations, I don't see why such an expensive phone would be limited to only 3 constellations instead of utilizing all 4. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope these recommendations are taken into consideration. 

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Motorola Edge plus BDS Support Canada

2021-03-31, 15:30 PM

@ ToxicWaste wrote:

So I' got a Motorola Edge plus from my service provider in Canada, and I do commute through the downtown of a metropolitan area quite a bit, and I was just wondering why doesn' the Canadian version of the OS not support the BDS GPS constellation? The website states that the US version is the only exception to this support. Therefore, it would be great if the developers could perhaps add support for the BDS satellite constellation. Unless limited by local regulations, I don' see why such an expensive phone would be limited to only 3 constellations instead of utilizing all 4. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope these recommendations are taken into consideration. 

Hi.

Looking into this. I'll report back what I can share.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

9 Posts

10-06-2020

Canada

14 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-03-31, 19:32 PM
Thanks a lot! Really appreciate the prompt response!
Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-04-02, 14:08 PM

@ ToxicWaste wrote:

So I' got a Motorola Edge plus from my service provider in Canada, and I do commute through the downtown of a metropolitan area quite a bit, and I was just wondering why doesn' the Canadian version of the OS not support the BDS GPS constellation? The website states that the US version is the only exception to this support. Therefore, it would be great if the developers could perhaps add support for the BDS satellite constellation. Unless limited by local regulations, I don' see why such an expensive phone would be limited to only 3 constellations instead of utilizing all 4. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope these recommendations are taken into consideration. 

Hi.

I got a pretty specific answer to this - glad you asked.

The team tested GPS with and without BDS, and could not see any improvement in GPS performance -- but there was a slight battery impact. So for the time being, there is not a blanket policy to enable it. I thought this was interesting.

From my experience, these things tend to creep in over time. I suspect as BDS improves and becomes more mainstream, it may make its way into phones. That's how it worked with the other GPS options.

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

9 Posts

10-06-2020

Canada

14 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-04-11, 5:07 AM

Thanks for the prompt response and for looking into this for me. I really appreciate it. Moreover, every since the android 11, I felt like the phone's overall GPS performance has gotten worse and using a GPS test app it turns out that dual band GPS has completely been disabled (as can be seen by the screenshot posted - No L5/E5 satellites detected) since the android 11 update. Could that please be brought back? It has made navigating in urban environments unnecessarily cumbersome. I'm okay with not getting support for BDS but I'd really appreciate dual-band GPS for the GPS and Galileo constellations. And if possible, an option to turn dual band GPS on or off would be great as that would allow us to save battery and run on single-band GPS when navigating between (or outside) cities and turn on dual-band GPS when within urban environments. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope Motorola can consider these suggestions for future Edge plus software upgrades.

Screenshot_20210410-230031.png
Options

306 Posts

08-30-2018

United States of America

799 Signins

16703 Page Views

• Views: 16703
  • Message 6 of 8

2021-04-15, 15:17 PM

@ ToxicWaste wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response and for looking into this for me. I really appreciate it. Moreover, every since the android 11, I felt like the phone' overall GPS performance has gotten worse and using a GPS test app it turns out that dual band GPS has completely been disabled (as can be seen by the screenshot posted - No L5/E5 satellites detected) since the android 11 update. Could that please be brought back? It has made navigating in urban environments unnecessarily cumbersome. I' okay with not getting support for BDS but I' really appreciate dual-band GPS for the GPS and Galileo constellations. And if possible, an option to turn dual band GPS on or off would be great as that would allow us to save battery and run on single-band GPS when navigating between (or outside) cities and turn on dual-band GPS when within urban environments. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope Motorola can consider these suggestions for future Edge plus software upgrades.

Hello,

I looked into this further.  The phone lacks hardware support for L5 so it has never picked them up. If you feel there is a GPS/Navigation issue, please share more details, are you seeing drifting, long delays in getting a fix, or what is the actual issue you are experiencing in Urban areas.  Also, where is the phone located within your car when it is observed? In hand? On dashboard? In cup holder?

Thanks

Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

9 Posts

10-06-2020

Canada

14 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-04-19, 2:07 AM
Yeah, so when navigating using Google maps in and around the downtown near where I live the the icon in Google maps that represents my location seems to drift quite sporadically. Sometimes hovering over buildings or sometimes showing my location 2 streets down. It really is very odd. Is there anything that can be done to address the GPS accuracy using software update? Thanks.
Options

306 Posts

08-30-2018

United States of America

799 Signins

16703 Page Views

• Views: 16703
  • Message 8 of 8

2021-04-20, 20:42 PM

@ ToxicWaste wrote:

Yeah, so when navigating using Google maps in and around the downtown near where I live the the icon in Google maps that represents my location seems to drift quite sporadically. Sometimes hovering over buildings or sometimes showing my location 2 streets down. It really is very odd. Is there anything that can be done to address the GPS accuracy using software update? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information.  One other thing, where in your car is the phone when you notice this occurring?  is the phone sitting on your dash or in a cup holder or on the seat?

Thanks

Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms