Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Views: 170
  • Message 1 of 15

Motorola edge+ Android 11 functionality issues

2021-05-03, 18:33 PM

Dear Motorola Team,

I have noticed numerous stepbacks in terms of functionality since the new update of Android came out on my Motorola edge+ which I believe need to be addressed in order to restore the phones capabilities.

I'll try to collect them:

1) screen refreshing rate is not adjustable, the phone is consuming more power simply with by anything which requires the screen to be on constantly but refreshing rate is not important ( for example for watching a movie or browsing, typing a text etc 60 Hz would be perfect, 90Hz is just waste of energy). I understand many users won't agree with me, but I find it important that updating a system should not reduce the number of settings a single user may use.
2) plenty of applications are now restricted from using the entire screen area, e.g Google Chrome, keyboards, even YouTube. I don't see the point having the waterfall screen just on the home screen and a few applications. I used to love the fact I can adjust the edge display at anytime when I don't want to apps to extend all the way. Not on Android 11, again another step back.

3) home screen and especially lock screen wallpapers are zoomed in and blurred, regardless of the original high quality photos of mine I have been using before. It doesn't show how nicely these wallpapers used to look on the high resolution screen, the way these are arranged when setting a new wallpaper should be the same way it was on Android 10 or below respecting the original wallpaper size, ratio, native resolution of the screen etc. Now it is just messy, as if I used a low quality photo for both.

4) screenshot editor saves both full screen and edited screenshots for no good reason. Everytime I do a screenshot of webpage etc I need to go to Google Photos and delete the full screen one. 

5) continue from 4): when I open a photo or video in Google Photos and I delete them, the app jumps +2, sometimes +3 photos over and doesn't let me delete them one by one without going back to thumbnails and figuring out where I was.

6) Google Photos video playback: if the edge display is on for Google Photos and I play a video in horizontal position, the video doesn't play full screen. When I press on the video to see the controls, the video zooms in to full screen and then back again without edge display when the controls go off or I press on the screen again. 

7) split screen issue: a few applications (particularly YouTube) put a fixed 50/50 split screen when I do the split screen gesture without the button to adjust the ratio of the apps. Now this might take a few attempts to replicate the issue and another few to get the adjusting button back again. This way sometimes it gets really difficult to get out of split screen mode as the button is just not there. When it happens I need to choose an app which doesn't support split screen in order to get back and try the whole thing all over again.

8) keyboard app collapse in split screen mode: when I run a YouTube video on top of the screen and I am using either Chrome or Messenger/WhatsApp on the bottom, and I need to open up the keyboard, sometimes it just doesn't open. I need to go and force stop the keyboard app and restart again, choose the keyboard and do the whole split screen all over again. Never been an issue before ever since split screen exists, but on Android 11 

9) camera doesn't open when I am using split screen: while I understand the camera is only running in full screen (as it should be), when I am using split screen and suddenly want to take a capture with get camera, I only get the error message that the app doesn't support split screen (which again I understand) but the camera doesn't open until I quit split screen and twist the phone or start up the camera from the app list. 

10) home screen icon names overhang onto next screen: some app icon names are visible on the neighbouring screen over the edges of the screen. This again might take a few attempts to replicate, I am using a 6high, 5wide icon setup with the same agreement of icons as on any other Android device before, some apps with longer names seem to visit neighbours now, typically just a letter, as if they would leave their feet out of their blanket 😅. This is pure funny though.

Thank you for your time reading this. I hope these will get fixed in the next minor update. (No, it shouldn't be a task list for Android 12)

Please accept my apologies for being a little picky, I am used to perfect Motorola phones with perfect software and I don't feel I should tolerate this. The rest of the edge+ and the way it works is just perfect. A truly astonishing phone with endless power and functionality.

Best Regards,

Peter

Screenshot_20210503-222302.png Screenshot_20210503-222401-167.png Screenshot_20210503-222458-964~2.png Screenshot_20210503-222935.png Screenshot_20210503-223048.png Screenshot_20210503-223204.png Screenshot_20210503-223208.png Screenshot_20210503-223306.png
Options

19892 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2512 Signins

63333 Page Views

• Views: 63333
  • Message 2 of 15

Re:Motorola edge+ Android 11 functionality issues

2021-05-03, 19:31 PM

@ mcwear wrote:

Dear Motorola Team,

I have noticed numerous stepbacks in terms of functionality since the new update of Android came out on my Motorola edge+ which I believe need to be addressed in order to restore the phones capabilities.

I' try to collect them:

1) screen refreshing rate is not adjustable, the phone is consuming more power simply with by anything which requires the screen to be on constantly but refreshing rate is not important ( for example for watching a movie or browsing, typing a text etc 60 Hz would be perfect, 90Hz is just waste of energy). I understand many users won' agree with me, but I find it important that updating a system should not reduce the number of settings a single user may use.
2) plenty of applications are now restricted from using the entire screen area, e.g Google Chrome, keyboards, even YouTube. I don' see the point having the waterfall screen just on the home screen and a few applications. I used to love the fact I can adjust the edge display at anytime when I don' want to apps to extend all the way. Not on Android 11, again another step back.

3) home screen and especially lock screen wallpapers are zoomed in and blurred, regardless of the original high quality photos of mine I have been using before. It doesn' show how nicely these wallpapers used to look on the high resolution screen, the way these are arranged when setting a new wallpaper should be the same way it was on Android 10 or below respecting the original wallpaper size, ratio, native resolution of the screen etc. Now it is just messy, as if I used a low quality photo for both.

4) screenshot editor saves both full screen and edited screenshots for no good reason. Everytime I do a screenshot of webpage etc I need to go to Google Photos and delete the full screen one. 

5) continue from 4): when I open a photo or video in Google Photos and I delete them, the app jumps +2, sometimes +3 photos over and doesn' let me delete them one by one without going back to thumbnails and figuring out where I was.

6) Google Photos video playback: if the edge display is on for Google Photos and I play a video in horizontal position, the video doesn' play full screen. When I press on the video to see the controls, the video zooms in to full screen and then back again without edge display when the controls go off or I press on the screen again. 

7) split screen issue: a few applications (particularly YouTube) put a fixed 50/50 split screen when I do the split screen gesture without the button to adjust the ratio of the apps. Now this might take a few attempts to replicate the issue and another few to get the adjusting button back again. This way sometimes it gets really difficult to get out of split screen mode as the button is just not there. When it happens I need to choose an app which doesn' support split screen in order to get back and try the whole thing all over again.

8) keyboard app collapse in split screen mode: when I run a YouTube video on top of the screen and I am using either Chrome or Messenger/WhatsApp on the bottom, and I need to open up the keyboard, sometimes it just doesn' open. I need to go and force stop the keyboard app and restart again, choose the keyboard and do the whole split screen all over again. Never been an issue before ever since split screen exists, but on Android 11 

9) camera doesn' open when I am using split screen: while I understand the camera is only running in full screen (as it should be), when I am using split screen and suddenly want to take a capture with get camera, I only get the error message that the app doesn' support split screen (which again I understand) but the camera doesn' open until I quit split screen and twist the phone or start up the camera from the app list. 

10) home screen icon names overhang onto next screen: some app icon names are visible on the neighbouring screen over the edges of the screen. This again might take a few attempts to replicate, I am using a 6high, 5wide icon setup with the same agreement of icons as on any other Android device before, some apps with longer names seem to visit neighbours now, typically just a letter, as if they would leave their feet out of their blanket 😅. This is pure funny though.

Thank you for your time reading this. I hope these will get fixed in the next minor update. (No, it shouldn' be a task list for Android 12)

Please accept my apologies for being a little picky, I am used to perfect Motorola phones with perfect software and I don' feel I should tolerate this. The rest of the edge+ and the way it works is just perfect. A truly astonishing phone with endless power and functionality.

Best Regards,

Peter

Hi.

While most of these items have already been mentioned -- and we appreciate members using search before posting -- I'll quickly address these here. Looks like a few new observations.

1. True, this has been removed. Objections have been noted and shared with the product team. However, I don't expect this to be changed.
  2. This is a change implemented by Google for all true "waterfall" devices. 
  3. I have not seen this myself. I note that the photos are zoomed, but not seeing quality issues. Can you try re-setting the wallpapers to see if it's possibly some hangover from the update?
  4. I had not noticed this. Looks like a bug. Reporting.
  5. I could not reproduce this. Are you able to with photos you take just for this purpose? Are all of the photos resident on the camera, or are you accessing uploaded photos that may not be on the device? Thanks for more details. 
  6. I don't see an edge display option for Google Photos. It doesn't even show in my list. If it does on yours, please show a screenshot. (Also, I don't fully follow the steps here, and the issue.)
  7. We've seen this reported and reproduced it. Product team is investigating.
  8. Sames as No. 7. We've seen this, though it's not as persistent.
  9. Noted as well. While "working as designed" we have asked about this. 
  10. Glad you have perspective! I'll report it anyway.

Thanks for this. Let me know about Nos. 5 and 6.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2021-05-03, 21:14 PM

Hello Matt and everyone else in the Team,

Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate your help as always.

In regards to 1) and 2) I would really appreciate to see these functions coming back. I am not saying to have them permanently, but at least give users a chance to use the entire screen area. 60Hz mode in my opinion would be just perfect in many cases to use simply less power. The waterfall screen really looks gorgeous when it is on all the time, at least in my opinion. browsing a webpage with picture and video content, YouTube etc all look much better when extended. The decrease in usable screen size makes sense when reading text based webpages, PDFs etc. Again, please let us choose, there is a shortcut for this even with the Edge touch/double tap feature, now not much of a use for that. I was very happy using this feature in Android 10.

3) I have tried the re-setting of the wallpaper, even re-copied the originals to the phone and the issue is the same ever since the Android 11 update came out. Please have a look at the screenshots in the posts following. In both cases you will see the original photo opened and zoomed to the size Android 11 is using it, a screenshot of the home screen and the lock screen now and how it looked like in Android 10. In real life there is a significant quality difference with the new one.

4) Thank you.

5) You are right, looks like it was eliminated with the last Google Photos update. I apologize, it was still there a few days back.

6) True there isn't an option for that, I wish there was. My mistake, however the issue with the zooming in/out still exists. Please have a look at the screenshots in the following post.

7) and 8) Thank you. True that 8) doesn't happen very often.

9) Thank you. It would simply come handy, this way I lost many opportunities to catch the moment.

10) First I thought there was something else and then it became obvious when I was sliding home screen pages. Thank you for reporting it.

Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2021-05-03, 21:21 PM

Screenshots for 3) lock screen (Android 10 vs 11 vs original photo zoomed in Google Photos)

Please try to see them in original format to spot the quality differences

Screenshot_20210504-003209.png Screenshot_20210504-011539.png Screenshot_20210104-231849_125523.png
Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2021-05-03, 21:24 PM

Screenshots for 3) home screen (Android 10 vs 11 vs original photo zoomed in Google Photos)

Please try to see them in original format to spot the quality differences

Screenshot_20210104-233123_125707.png Screenshot_20210504-003307.png Screenshot_20210504-003316.png
Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2021-05-03, 21:30 PM

Screenshots for 6) video playing

You need to put the phone in horizontal and start playing a video for this in Google Photos. When the controls are on, the video goes full screen (I mean waterfull), when the controls are off it doesn't.

Screenshot_20210504-012744.png Screenshot_20210504-012739.png
Options

47 Posts

03-14-2021

Italy

77 Signins

750 Page Views

• Views: 750
  • Message 7 of 15

2021-05-03, 21:59 PM

Hi Peter,

I fully agree with the question about the adaptive refresh 60-90 Hz, but unfortunately Motorola lets itself be a little too influenced by the motivations of the technicians :/, instead of following the customer requests, if I were them I would have more pulse and would put more strength for this decision.

Peter, from your screens I have seen that you can view up to 7 icon indications at the top of home page, while I (I am attaching the image) with Android 11 can only see 6, then put a dot; do you know how I can see them more ?

(even if I have Edge, not plus)

Thanks

Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2021-05-03, 22:02 PM

I don't know the answer, I am sorry. I saw the dot a couple of times, not really paying attention for it tbh.

Options

12 Posts

06-18-2019

United Arab Emirates

16 Signins

170 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2021-05-05, 18:08 PM

Dear Matt & the Motorola Support Team,

I would like to report another bug that just happened now. (Wouldn't be visible on a screenshot as the areas shown on the attachment photo are cut from the screenshots on Android 11)

I switched between WhatsApp and instagram, now instagram runs with my wallpaper shown on the left and the right of the waterfall screen.

IMG_20210505_220144.jpg
Options

19892 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2512 Signins

63333 Page Views

• Views: 63333
  • Message 10 of 15

2021-05-06, 14:28 PM

@ mcwear wrote:

Dear Matt & the Motorola Support Team,

I would like to report another bug that just happened now. (Wouldn' be visible on a screenshot as the areas shown on the attachment photo are cut from the screenshots on Android 11)

I switched between WhatsApp and instagram, now instagram runs with my wallpaper shown on the left and the right of the waterfall screen.

Wow, another weird one. A few questions, please:

• Can you reproduce this at will?
  • Is it only when on Insta that this shows?
  • What are the Edge display settings for these two apps?
  • What are the steps if so? What is the sequence of steps?
  • Can you reproduce it with any other app combinations?
  • At what point does this behavior stop? Do you have to close and relaunch Insta, or if you switch to a different app (than WhatsApp) and back, does it persist?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms