Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 9

No multiple users Motorola Edge+ Verizon

2021-07-06, 19:16 PM

I have a new (one week now) Motorola Edge+ through Verizon. It appears that Verizon has multiple users/guest mode blocked.

I've spoken with tech support from both Verizon and Motorola and every tech just keeps saying "that's weird" as if no one knows about this. 2 different techs from Motorola remote-accessed my phone and confirmed that this is not a user error. I am not looking in the wrong place. The setting simply isn't accessible on my phone, not normally nor in developer mode. I'm very frustrated because I switched to a Motorola phone from Samsung, after reading the user manuals for many different phone brands and models, and this feature was a factor in my decision, as all Samsung smartphones have had it disabled for a very long time, regardless of carrier. Come to find out, in spite of it being in the user help manual that is located WITHIN THE SETTINGS in my device, and in the Motorola user manual on their website, it is not actually accessible in the device. From what I have come to understand, it has simply been disabled by whoever puts the code in the phone at the factory. The only way I can change it is to root my phone thereby voiding the warranty for it, which I won't do because frankly I don't know enough about android coding to be confident in my ability to change it without bricking the phone.

It's very disappointing and I likely will not get another Motorola, especially through this carrier. But for now I am stuck with a phone I've come to strongly dislike for the next 30 months due to cost and a contract. The last tech I spoke with told me the next step, if factory reset didn't fix it (which of course it didn't), is to send me a replacement phone. But if this is a Verizon exclusive phone, then how could it be any different than the one I already have?

I'm fairly certain there is nothing to be done in my case, and that Motorola will ultimately say it is a Verizon issue just as Verizon told me it is a Motorola issue, but I strongly urge Motorola to alter the "Help" section in the settings of the phone to match what is actually accessible within the Verizon variant. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other features that are in there that aren't accessible, but may not be applicable to my usage so I simply haven't come across them yet.

I am attaching screenshots of the help menu where multiple users is talked about, and the settings>system menu where there is no "Advanced" option accessible. 

Screenshot_20210706-141549.png Screenshot_20210706-141531.png
Options

20125 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2600 Signins

65343 Page Views

• Views: 65343
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:No multiple users Motorola Edge+ Verizon

2021-07-07, 15:10 PM

@ Jessicahill0716 wrote:

I have a new (one week now) Motorola Edge+ through Verizon. It appears that Verizon has multiple users/guest mode blocked.

I' spoken with tech support from both Verizon and Motorola and every tech just keeps saying "that' weird" as if no one knows about this. 2 different techs from Motorola remote-accessed my phone and confirmed that this is not a user error. I am not looking in the wrong place. The setting simply isn' accessible on my phone, not normally nor in developer mode. I' very frustrated because I switched to a Motorola phone from Samsung, after reading the user manuals for many different phone brands and models, and this feature was a factor in my decision, as all Samsung smartphones have had it disabled for a very long time, regardless of carrier. Come to find out, in spite of it being in the user help manual that is located WITHIN THE SETTINGS in my device, and in the Motorola user manual on their website, it is not actually accessible in the device. From what I have come to understand, it has simply been disabled by whoever puts the code in the phone at the factory. The only way I can change it is to root my phone thereby voiding the warranty for it, which I won' do because frankly I don' know enough about android coding to be confident in my ability to change it without bricking the phone.

It' very disappointing and I likely will not get another Motorola, especially through this carrier. But for now I am stuck with a phone I' come to strongly dislike for the next 30 months due to cost and a contract. The last tech I spoke with told me the next step, if factory reset didn' fix it (which of course it didn'), is to send me a replacement phone. But if this is a Verizon exclusive phone, then how could it be any different than the one I already have?

I' fairly certain there is nothing to be done in my case, and that Motorola will ultimately say it is a Verizon issue just as Verizon told me it is a Motorola issue, but I strongly urge Motorola to alter the "Help" section in the settings of the phone to match what is actually accessible within the Verizon variant. I wouldn' be surprised if there are other features that are in there that aren' accessible, but may not be applicable to my usage so I simply haven' come across them yet.

I am attaching screenshots of the help menu where multiple users is talked about, and the settings>system menu where there is no "Advanced" option accessible. 

Hi.

Sorry this has been a disappointment. As you surmised, this is a Verizon requirement. They have not supported Guest Mode/Multiple Users for some time. 

I am both apologetic and confused about the screenshots you shared. I searched my on-device Help app thoroughly and could not find any mention of Multiple Users, Guest Users, Shared, etc., etc. (These same terms were easily found on other, non-Verizon devices.) 

Can you share your path to finding this content on your device? I will certainly see that it's corrected if at all possible. 

Thanks, and again, my apologies.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

2 Posts

07-05-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 9

2021-07-07, 16:33 PM

Sure.

Settings>Help>Other Settings>System>Users & Guests>Add, modify, remove users

I just wish Android would function the way it was intended to function. I understand why phones have bootloaders locked and developer options hidden unless a person knows what they're doing... I just don't understand why all the carriers seem to take away built-in features of the OS for no logical reason. Older phones may not have had the capacity to handle much with additional users added in, but this one has a ton of RAM and shouldn't have a problem with it. Honestly I just wanted a way to be able to hand my kid my phone to play a game or watch a video, and not need to worry about him deleting things or messing with anything in my profile. I think I'm more angry at feeling misled than anything else. Even the display phone at the Verizon store I visited has that help guide with the "Users & Guests" in the device. I just assumed if it was in the user guide, it's in the phone.

Options

20125 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2600 Signins

65343 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-07-08, 14:02 PM

@ Jessicahill0716 wrote:

Sure.

Settings>Help>Other Settings>System>Users & Guests>Add, modify, remove users

I just wish Android would function the way it was intended to function. I understand why phones have bootloaders locked and developer options hidden unless a person knows what they' doing... I just don' understand why all the carriers seem to take away built-in features of the OS for no logical reason. Older phones may not have had the capacity to handle much with additional users added in, but this one has a ton of RAM and shouldn' have a problem with it. Honestly I just wanted a way to be able to hand my kid my phone to play a game or watch a video, and not need to worry about him deleting things or messing with anything in my profile. I think I' more angry at feeling misled than anything else. Even the display phone at the Verizon store I visited has that help guide with the "Users & Guests" in the device. I just assumed if it was in the user guide, it' in the phone.

Hi.

That's all completely understandable. I'll get this to the right person and let you know if we're able to correct the user guide. (I wasn't able to find this in the Device Help app, so it appears it is correct there -- they must have messed up the other link.)

Most decisions like this come down to raw numbers; that is, how many people use this feature? This is why so many interesting (or stupid) features come and go so fast on phones. The numbers indicate very few people use them, and there is a desire to prune items that add programming or support complexity. I can't say this is exactly why Verizon decided to remove this feature, of course.

Thanks for reporting. Again, my apologies.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

21 Posts

01-23-2021

Germany

30 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 5 of 9

2021-07-24, 20:39 PM

Hi!

I got this feature working on my phone by using the app Insular( [removed]).
It seems like this feature does only get activated/visible if you enable the "work-profile" once.

• Edited to avoid recommending software that has not been tested / backed by Google. Thanks. - Matt (Forums Manager)
Options

21 Posts

01-23-2021

Germany

30 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 6 of 9

2021-07-27, 9:50 AM

Hi Matt!

I thought recommending apps from F-Droid is better because all apps in this store are OSS. Anyway, there is a similar app on the Google Play Store: Island 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.island

Options

20125 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2600 Signins

65343 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-07-27, 13:31 PM

@ morta5 wrote:

Hi Matt!

I thought recommending apps from F-Droid is better because all apps in this store are OSS. Anyway, there is a similar app on the Google Play Store: Island 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.island

Hi.

I may be overly cautious just through ignorance. We've not spent much time on f-droid. I'll try to check it out more thoroughly! 

Thanks for contributing!

- Matt

Options

1 Posts

10-13-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-10-13, 21:40 PM

I've got the same issue with a TCL I just got from Verizon. No prob on my old moto e5+ from T-Mobile, but the Verizon phone I can add more users but not switch between them. Pretty sure it's a measure to force people to get more phones. 

Options

1 Posts

10-24-2021

India

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-10-24, 1:00 AM

This is the best one which describes the point. Got lot of inputs. It serves the purpose.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms