12-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 10

Pixelation with shades of black in videos

2020-12-03, 22:37 PM

Hey, so I don't know if I'm going crazy here, but I do feel like in the past couple of weeks or so, pixelation within parts of videos with shades of blacks have gotten so bad to a point where the videos almost become unwatchable like I'm watching 240p videos, especially with dark scenes. I go to another device and watch the same video and it looks crystal clear.

Has this always been an issue with these screens or has something happened with a recent update?

Options

2 Posts

12-04-2020

United States of America

16 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Pixelation with shades of black in videos

2020-12-04, 16:05 PM

I am having the same issue. It's like the black point is turned way up. On my phone it is the worst when the dim level is between ~25%-50%. I didn't notice this before the last update a few weeks ago.

Options

4229 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3223 Signins

69391 Page Views

• Views: 69391
  • Message 3 of 10

2020-12-04, 19:37 PM

Hello, this is very strange that you're both seeing this. Are you both seeing this when the brightness is below 40%. Can you also capture this on video or in a screenshot? Maybe even provide a link to a video on YouTube so I can try to duplicate on mine.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

12-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-12-04, 20:17 PM

I use my brightness on 80 percent so that's when I notice it. Reduced brightness, I would say it looks pretty bad.

I took three photos but this is repeatable on any YouTube video with a significant amount of black in it or any video period. Been experiencing this with Disney Plus and Netflix, both streaming and downloaded. First photo is at my normal brightness of 80, second photo is around 40 and the third photo which I believe I will have to put in a separate reply is a screenshot of said scene which should actually look normal on any other screen not having this issue, so you can see what it should look like.

I suspect that this was software driven, because I remember quite enjoying the screen when I first got this phone. Something like this would've stood out to me right away.

Edit: Okay so since I'm a new user I won't be able to post the screenshot right away, but I promise it is suppose to look much better than this.

20201204_150454.jpg 20201204_150548.jpg
Options

4229 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3223 Signins

69391 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-12-04, 21:26 PM

@ Wil2197 wrote:

I use my brightness on 80 percent so that' when I notice it. Reduced brightness, I would say it looks pretty bad.

I took three photos but this is repeatable on any YouTube video with a significant amount of black in it or any video period. Been experiencing this with Disney Plus and Netflix, both streaming and downloaded. First photo is at my normal brightness of 80, second photo is around 40 and the third photo which I believe I will have to put in a separate reply is a screenshot of said scene which should actually look normal on any other screen not having this issue, so you can see what it should look like.

I suspect that this was software driven, because I remember quite enjoying the screen when I first got this phone. Something like this would' stood out to me right away.

Edit: Okay so since I' a new user I won' be able to post the screenshot right away, but I promise it is suppose to look much better than this.

Thanks for sharing the photos. I actually was able to figure out who you were watching by the text on the screen. I just tested mine and do not see this at all. 

Here is a picture of mine

As you can see mine looks fine. I'm curious. What resolution were you playing the video back in? Mine was streaming at 1080p. Also, on your phone go to settings > Display > Advanced > Colors. What do you have your's set to? Mine is set to Saturated. Let me know

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

12-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-12-04, 22:44 PM

Yea that does look pristine. I have mine on Saturated too but I've tried all three settings with the same results. And those pictures are of 1080p quality video.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be degradation of the hardware. Be much simpler if this is possibly a software or settings issue.

Options

4 Posts

12-03-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-12-25, 15:13 PM

Hey, so a few weeks now. Has there been any investigation to this?

I'm not noticing a green tinted screen with my naked eye, but is it possible that that could be the case here seeing photos?

Options

4229 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3223 Signins

69391 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-12-28, 22:11 PM

@ Wil2197 wrote:

Hey, so a few weeks now. Has there been any investigation to this?

I' not noticing a green tinted screen with my naked eye, but is it possible that that could be the case here seeing photos?

Yeah, sadly this does look to be hardware related. I'd say reach out to @MotoBecky so she can look into repair/replacement options for you.

-Tom

Options

1 Posts

10-31-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-01-10, 12:55 PM

I am having the same issue as well. I was hoping it was only software. Have you had your issue resolved?

Options

4229 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3223 Signins

69391 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-01-12, 1:23 AM

@ Swirven wrote:

I am having the same issue as well. I was hoping it was only software. Have you had your issue resolved?

If you're experiencing this, I'd say reach out to @MotoBecky to inquire about repair/replacement. 

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms