Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

03-23-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 1 of 17

Problems with SMS, calls on Android 11

2021-03-26, 23:29 PM

For the last few days I have been having problems getting texts, calls and voicemails.  I thought it was Verizon as it seemed to happen betwen 2 and 5 but today I decided to restart my phone about 3 and after I did I got all the texts and voicemails. I checked Verizon and did not find any issues.  I believe it a problem with Android 11, the phone and the SIM card. 

I had my son send me a text which I did not receive until I restarted the phone; can you help?  I do not want to have to restart my phone just to get my texts, calls and voicemails.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Views: 62923
  • Message 2 of 17

Re:Problems with SMS, calls on Android 11

2021-03-29, 15:06 PM

@ RichTempe wrote:

For the last few days I have been having problems getting texts, calls and voicemails.  I thought it was Verizon as it seemed to happen betwen 2 and 5 but today I decided to restart my phone about 3 and after I did I got all the texts and voicemails. I checked Verizon and did not find any issues.  I believe it a problem with Android 11, the phone and the SIM card. 

I had my son send me a text which I did not receive until I restarted the phone; can you help?  I do not want to have to restart my phone just to get my texts, calls and voicemails.

Hi.

Sorry to hear this. Let's see what we can figure out.

I see you have your IMEI in your profile - thanks. Can you check to make sure that you're sharing under Settings > Privacy > Advanced > Motorola Privacy? Please make sure both options are on. Also, please indicate here if it's okay for me to look at your apps for problems.

What app are you using for SMS? Is it the Verizon app (Message +) or Google's Messages app?

Thanks for reporting.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

15 Posts

03-23-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2021-03-29, 16:31 PM

I have Help improve Motorola Products and Enhanced Device Support turned on and am using Google messages for my sms app. 

Yes, you have my approval to look at my apps for problems.

Thanks for your help.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2021-03-31, 15:35 PM

@ RichTempe wrote:

I have Help improve Motorola Products and Enhanced Device Support turned on and am using Google messages for my sms app. 

Yes, you have my approval to look at my apps for problems.

Thanks for your help.

Hi.

Thanks. For some reason I'm not seeing network signal data in your check-in information. I will escalate this to our product team.

If you happen to have any dates/times of known missed messages of any kind, please note those and let me know.

Thanks,

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

15 Posts

03-23-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2021-03-31, 16:18 PM

From what I see it only happens when I am on my home wifi so for the last few days I have not used my home wifi; do you want me to turn it on so you can monitor it?

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2021-04-02, 15:40 PM

@ RichTempe wrote:

From what I see it only happens when I am on my home wifi so for the last few days I have not used my home wifi; do you want me to turn it on so you can monitor it?

Hi.

Thanks, that's a good detail. Have you tried forgetting the network and re-pairing? That's a simple step and always worth taking, in case there's something there.

You can also try to reproduce this, and if you can do so, collect and share a bug report. It looks more complicated than it is.

1. Go to Settings > System > scroll to the bottom > Tap on Build number 7 times to enable Developer mode.
  2. Go to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options.
  3. In Developer options > enable USB debugging 
  4. In Developer options > Enable Bug Report shortcut
  5. In Developer options > Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging
  6. In Developer options > Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log (just in case...)

It's probably best to do the above first. 

1. Once the issue is reproduced, go to Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
  2. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
  3. When it's ready, upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and share the link to the Bug Report via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.
  4. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Hope this isn't too daunting! Thanks.

- Matt

Options

15 Posts

03-23-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2021-04-02, 19:18 PM

I can do this but I am not sure it will help.  If I turn on the wifi I get no calls, texts or voice mails.  It is only after I turn off the wife and restart the phone that whatever was sent appears.  If someone calls they get a weird ring and it goes straight to voicemail.   Will there still be a log if I get no texts, calls or voicemails?  If so let me know and I will do it.

Rich

Options

15 Posts

03-23-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2021-04-03, 22:00 PM

So I just did a test.

I had a friend over so when he left I turned the wfi on and had him send me a text.  I got nothing. I turned off the wifi and still got nothing.  I restarted the phone and THEN I got his text.

Options

19826 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2500 Signins

62923 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2021-04-05, 15:10 PM

@ RichTempe wrote:

So I just did a test.

I had a friend over so when he left I turned the wfi on and had him send me a text.  I got nothing. I turned off the wifi and still got nothing.  I restarted the phone and THEN I got his text.

Hi.

Interesting. A few questions.

• Can you post the make and model of your router? 
  • Have you updated the router software?
  • Does the phone do the same on other wifi networks, or just yours?
  • Do you have other phones on your home wifi that don't have this issue?

If the above questions don't reveal anything, it may be useful to get a bug report after you have an SMS sent, and then another after you have turned off wifi and restarted and received the SMS. 

Again, apologies for the problems this must be causing. Since we're not getting other reports like this I think it's likely this is something we can figure out and solve for you.

- Matt

Options

15 Posts

03-23-2021

United States of America

18 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 10 of 17

2021-04-05, 17:44 PM

I have a T-Mobile Nokia 5G21-12W-A

The modem.router is updated automatically by T-Mobile

It works fine on other wifi networks

My son has an IPhone which works fine on the wifi.

Is this helpful?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms