Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

20062 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2561 Signins

64648 Page Views

• Views: 64648
  • Message 1051 of 1229

Re:Screen issue

2021-02-04, 14:49 PM

@ imperfection wrote:

Hi there, I just joined the community forums.

I' had my moto Edge+ for a few months now and I really like it.
It' my first Android device, and, by extension, my first Motorola.
The day I went to buy it was a ride.

I got the phone in the end of 2020, which comfortably sets me in the group of people who believed it was enough time from launch for the green tint to be fixed/patched - after all, why wouldn' it? - and for new, fresh units to be produced and sold. Thus, I' have one of those units in my hands. The store, too, wouldn' be selling the phone otherwise. Or would they?

On day one I learned my settings and personalized the system, I picked 60 Hz as the standard. (My phone is up to date and I still have that choice.)
I went on, trying to enjoy my new phone.

After some time, with recent posts regarding green tint, purple spots and rapidly degrading displays in Edges around the world; though I at first imagined the issue could be region specific, I figured that I' simply not be the one whose display would just not have it.

This is what I' got:
- In low brightness (naturally set by Adaptive Brightness at night, so I' really not pushing it) and especially in grey backgrounds, I see this subtle, uneven green coloring in the screen.
- And this is where I thought I' step out of my original settings. Picking 90 Hz refresh rate has the green become considerably more pronounced. The tint has some sort of a "pattern" and, if I go from Brightness level 0% to about 22%, the green seems to even out almost throughout the entire screen. Higher levels only make the screen brighter, until green is not really noticeable, like others already said here.

It has never reached the levels of some folks here in this thread, I must note.

I didn' have a very good camera around to register it. For reference, though, the background was supposed to be a single shade of gray.

The way I see it with my own eyes, my display looks very similar to that of Vonas, at message 1046.

Is there anything I can do?
I' posting here out of a fear it' get worse with time and past warranty period, even if it currently doesn' stop me from using the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

I appreciate your concern. I can't really tell, from the photo and description, what your situation is. This is really your decision. If you find, during normal use, that the display is exhibiting problems with splotches or green tint that invades the actual viewing area of your screen, then you should certainly have it serviced. 

I hope this helps. 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

2 Posts

02-03-2021

Brazil

5 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1052 of 1229

2021-02-04, 17:25 PM

Oh. I see.

While it didn't render my phone unusable and I haven't been able to get a good enough picture of it, there definitely is a green tint problem with my display, and I see it as I unwittingly browse and scroll, in the viewing area. Dark theme on Android does color many menus and pages grey.

If I happen to snap a better picture of it I'll try to post here. Hope it's not a problem.

Options

12 Posts

01-27-2021

Canada

17 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 1053 of 1229

2021-02-04, 18:58 PM

You mentioned you had to arrange it thru Rogers.  Is that standard procedure for repairs in Canada for the phone?  Can we not send in the phone to repair center based on the incident number from Motorola?

Options

20062 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2561 Signins

64648 Page Views

• Message 1054 of 1229

2021-02-05, 15:02 PM

@ Superdaddy wrote:

You mentioned you had to arrange it thru Rogers.  Is that standard procedure for repairs in Canada for the phone?  Can we not send in the phone to repair center based on the incident number from Motorola?

Hi.

Not sure who you are asking this of. One tip that helps -- use the Quote button up there above the toolbar when replying to someone, and their post will appear first in your reply, like I did here.

Going through the carrier or Motorola are entirely separate. If you have an incident number, only go through Motorola. We're happy to help with these, so simply ask here and we'll arrange for your repair in Canada. 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

20062 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2561 Signins

64648 Page Views

• Message 1055 of 1229

2021-02-05, 15:03 PM

@ imperfection wrote:

Oh. I see.

While it didn' render my phone unusable and I haven' been able to get a good enough picture of it, there definitely is a green tint problem with my display, and I see it as I unwittingly browse and scroll, in the viewing area. Dark theme on Android does color many menus and pages grey.

If I happen to snap a better picture of it I' try to post here. Hope it' not a problem.

Hi.

Not a problem at all, but if you have a green tint that is bothering you, feel free to submit it for repair. Why suffer? :)

Regards,

- Matt

Options

4 Posts

02-06-2021

Canada

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1056 of 1229

2021-02-08, 23:56 PM

I purchased my Motorola Edge + phone in November 2020. Two days ago, I noticed some discolored pixels starting to creep towards the center of the screen. There were no dead pixels present at the time, and aside from the discoloration, the phone functions normally. Yesterday (February 5th, 2021) I noticed two dead pixels towards the bottom of the screen; one pixel that is permanently frozen green, and the other red. I have had the phone in a case since the day I bought it, and it has never been dropped in water or the like. I noticed the discoloration gets worse when the phone begins to warm up even slightly past room temperature (ex. when it's being held in my hand, or if the screen is on any longer than a couple of minutes) and drastically deteriorates when the phone is on my brand name wireless charger. I've also noticed that when the discolored pixels get bad enough, it looks like it's ghosting a duplicate of the screen. I can even see the camera punch hole. Of course when the phone is allowed to "cool off" or I put it in the freezer for 10 mins, the screen ghosting disappears and color returns to normal for 15 minutes. I want to exchange the phone for a brand new device as I have heard the new devices have improved components and software updates to fix the issue. Is there any way I can receive a guarantee that I receive a brand new device when I send the phone out to be exchanged? I want to avoid the horror scenario of exchanging my phone upwards of 5 times and be stuck with a bad handset after the warranty expires. Any resources that the mods can provide would be fantastic.

Update:

Since my original post I have flashed the software on the phone twice and my device is set up for automatic updates.

I managed to get a hold of a camera and take some photos today. I have attached the photos of the phone screen (below) with different brightness settings to highlight how the splotching changes under different brightness settings. You can see the discoloration get worse and then better as I turn the brightness down and then up again. As mentioned before the splotching get's worse when the phone is charging or in use so I included a couple of photos of that as well.

edit: I have reposted here at the request of the mods

Options

1 Posts

02-09-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1057 of 1229

2021-02-09, 5:31 AM

I have a similar issue with my screen, it just recently happened where I am getting what appears to be burned in images on the right side of my Motorola Edge+ screen. After shutting off the device for more than 5 minutes, it goes away, but as you use the phone the ghost images come back. And is only noticable in a white background screen. 

From there you can see previous images stay "burned" in on the screen. When I contacted my phone insurance they told me I had a $200 detectable to pay, but this phone is barely 7 months old. And the screen isn't broken. And power off seems to fix it, so broken LCD it can't be, but instead seems to be the display it's self.

Options

20062 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2561 Signins

64648 Page Views

• Message 1058 of 1229

2021-02-09, 14:56 PM

@ Esscargo wrote:

I purchased my Motorola Edge + phone in November 2020. Two days ago, I noticed some discolored pixels starting to creep towards the center of the screen. There were no dead pixels present at the time, and aside from the discoloration, the phone functions normally. Yesterday (February 5th, 2021) I noticed two dead pixels towards the bottom of the screen; one pixel that is permanently frozen green, and the other red. I have had the phone in a case since the day I bought it, and it has never been dropped in water or the like. I noticed the discoloration gets worse when the phone begins to warm up even slightly past room temperature (ex. when it' being held in my hand, or if the screen is on any longer than a couple of minutes) and drastically deteriorates when the phone is on my brand name wireless charger. I' also noticed that when the discolored pixels get bad enough, it looks like it' ghosting a duplicate of the screen. I can even see the camera punch hole. Of course when the phone is allowed to "cool off" or I put it in the freezer for 10 mins, the screen ghosting disappears and color returns to normal for 15 minutes. I want to exchange the phone for a brand new device as I have heard the new devices have improved components and software updates to fix the issue. Is there any way I can receive a guarantee that I receive a brand new device when I send the phone out to be exchanged? I want to avoid the horror scenario of exchanging my phone upwards of 5 times and be stuck with a bad handset after the warranty expires. Any resources that the mods can provide would be fantastic.

Update:

Since my original post I have flashed the software on the phone twice and my device is set up for automatic updates.

I managed to get a hold of a camera and take some photos today. I have attached the photos of the phone screen (below) with different brightness settings to highlight how the splotching changes under different brightness settings. You can see the discoloration get worse and then better as I turn the brightness down and then up again. As mentioned before the splotching get' worse when the phone is charging or in use so I included a couple of photos of that as well.

edit: I have reposted here at the request of the mods

Hi again.

Thanks for posting here. Very sorry about this issue -- it is the same one.

I will escalate your case to our team in Canada and we will get this resolved as fast as we can.

Regards,

- Matt

Options

20062 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2561 Signins

64648 Page Views

• Message 1059 of 1229

2021-02-09, 14:57 PM

@ Colbyjack_3322 wrote:

I have a similar issue with my screen, it just recently happened where I am getting what appears to be burned in images on the right side of my Motorola Edge+ screen. After shutting off the device for more than 5 minutes, it goes away, but as you use the phone the ghost images come back. And is only noticable in a white background screen. 

From there you can see previous images stay "burned" in on the screen. When I contacted my phone insurance they told me I had a $200 detectable to pay, but this phone is barely 7 months old. And the screen isn' broken. And power off seems to fix it, so broken LCD it can' be, but instead seems to be the display it' self.

Hi.

So sorry that you have encountered this. We will certainly take care of it. Please look for a PM on this community from an agent, who will help resolve this problem.

Again, my apologies.

- Matt

Options

2 Posts

01-29-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 1060 of 1229

2021-02-09, 23:27 PM

Well - it's 10 days later and I still haven't got my phone back! There is still no update other than that the service centre is experiencing a higher volume of repairs and it will cause some delays. They suggest that I wait until the end of next week before contacting them again - I understand that things are difficult during the covid pandemic but by that time they will have had the phone for 30 days - considerably longer than I actually had it in my possession! The tracking system does not work and so I am unable to see what is happening. I feel absolutely powerless - if I had bought the phone from a shop it would have been refunded or replaced. I love the phone but this has been a really disappointing experience. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms