Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

03-30-2021

Germany

27 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 1 of 8

Strange layout since update to Android 11

2021-03-30, 16:39 PM

Hello,

after the update I recognized a different look as before. Prior to that this issue wasn't visible.

E.g. the keyboard isn't displayed around the edge like before. You can see the white space (based on the white backround I guess). The screenshot was taken from tghe app drawer. 

Further the the app n-tv (e.g) doesn't work in edgless any more. I have the space (marked with the yellow box) around the edges on the left + right side.

The keyboard doesn't seem to use the edgless in all cases. If the edgless is working properly the keyboard however is always narrow.

I guess it's a result of diffetent behaviour regarding settings for edgless display. If I deactivate edgeless option the n-tv app is working normal however without the edge functionality. But for the app drawer I don't know how.

BTW: Not all apps are listed in settings for "full screen". E.g. Yahoo Mail. I would assume that all apps should be liested there in order to make changes regarding full screen option.

Maybe some other users have the same behaviour right now?

Thx all,

Ben

Answer
Options

5168 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3300 Signins

75821 Page Views

• Views: 75821

Re:Strange layout since update to Android 11

2021-03-30, 18:45 PM

@ Hans Dampf wrote:

Hello,

after the update I recognized a different look as before. Prior to that this issue wasn' visible.

E.g. the keyboard isn' displayed around the edge like before. You can see the white space (based on the white backround I guess). The screenshot was taken from tghe app drawer. 

Further the the app n-tv (e.g) doesn' work in edgless any more. I have the space (marked with the yellow box) around the edges on the left + right side.

The keyboard doesn' seem to use the edgless in all cases. If the edgless is working properly the keyboard however is always narrow.

I guess it' a result of diffetent behaviour regarding settings for edgless display. If I deactivate edgeless option the n-tv app is working normal however without the edge functionality. But for the app drawer I don' know how.

BTW: Not all apps are listed in settings for "full screen". E.g. Yahoo Mail. I would assume that all apps should be liested there in order to make changes regarding full screen option.

Thx all,

Ben

Hi Ben. Thanks for taking the time to post your concern. What you are seeing is 100% normal and a result of Google making changes with how Android 11 manages full-screen and phones with waterfall edges. To give you some more detail Android 11 introduces a Waterfall API enabling applications to control what is shown on the edge. To maintain compatibility with Android, any application upgraded to Android 11 - such as most Google applications - is excluded from the manual Edge display On/Off setting. This likely includes options for Full Screen as well. Heck, they even completely got rid of the Full-Screen setting on Google Pixel devices. My Pixel 4a 5G does not even have the Full-Screen option.  I hope that helps explain some of the UI changes and why some apps are using the edges and weirdness with full-screen.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Replies(7)
Answer
Options

5168 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3300 Signins

75821 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

2021-03-30, 18:45 PM

@ Hans Dampf wrote:

Hello,

after the update I recognized a different look as before. Prior to that this issue wasn' visible.

E.g. the keyboard isn' displayed around the edge like before. You can see the white space (based on the white backround I guess). The screenshot was taken from tghe app drawer. 

Further the the app n-tv (e.g) doesn' work in edgless any more. I have the space (marked with the yellow box) around the edges on the left + right side.

The keyboard doesn' seem to use the edgless in all cases. If the edgless is working properly the keyboard however is always narrow.

I guess it' a result of diffetent behaviour regarding settings for edgless display. If I deactivate edgeless option the n-tv app is working normal however without the edge functionality. But for the app drawer I don' know how.

Thx all,

Ben

Hi Ben. Thanks for taking the time to post your concern. What you are seeing is 100% normal and a result of Google making changes with how Android 11 manages full-screen and phones with waterfall edges. To give you some more detail Android 11 introduces a Waterfall API enabling applications to control what is shown on the edge. To maintain compatibility with Android, any application upgraded to Android 11 - such as most Google applications - is excluded from the manual Edge display On/Off setting. This likely includes options for Full Screen as well. Heck, they even completely got rid of the Full-Screen setting on Google Pixel devices. My Pixel 4a 5G does not even have the Full-Screen option.  I hope that helps explain some of the UI changes and why some apps are using the edges and weirdness with full-screen.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

46 Posts

03-01-2014

Greece

143 Signins

1008 Page Views

• Views: 1008
  • Message 3 of 8

2021-04-14, 23:30 PM

@MotorolaTom  Not quite true. 

motorola uses "default" edge profiles, for everything. (developer options)

This is not a Pixel phone, and since pixel phones do not have edges, most app fails to use it properly now. What the android 11 API does is NOT prevent apps from drawing over the edges. It prevents working elements to be drawn over the edges like buttons and scroll bars, but the edges should fill even if it is just an extension of the app's background (for example plain white on chrome). I see this on my brother's oneplus 8pro under android 11 for example. You should have opted for "waterfall" display profile as default after you had specifically coded it for you particular screen. Putting the blame of your lazy android 11 porting to google is a shame to say the least. This is why google has the option for waterfall display in developer options but of course like I said, should be programmed for the specific display when developing your android 11 for the device. The dev option is just generic and will not work properly if not coded. And I am guessing you will not go on and do that in an update cause it is too much of a hassle otherwise you would have done it already to begin with. Also a shame that the selling point of the device was that display that disappointed in so many ways (see display issues) and now you are giving it the final kick in the nuts by taking it away and saying there is nothing to be done because you cannot be bothered to spend the dev  money to do it. To cut a long story short, 11 uses a waterfall API, your phone doesn't as it is set to "default" instead of "waterfall" i under developer options and it isn't as simple as just selecting it because it needs to be coded for the specific screen otherwise it misbehaves

Options

46 Posts

03-01-2014

Greece

143 Signins

1008 Page Views

• Views: 1008
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-04-15, 17:53 PM

@MotorolaTom seriously? No comment on that? No answer on whether we are getting out edge display back or you're too lazy as a company to be bothered to give it back to the people who paid for it and just continue blaming Google when clearly it was just a lazy android 11 release on your side?

Options

5168 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3300 Signins

75821 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-04-15, 20:32 PM

@ Vonas wrote:

@MotorolaTom seriously? No comment on that? No answer on whether we are getting out edge display back or you' too lazy as a company to be bothered to give it back to the people who paid for it and just continue blaming Google when clearly it was just a lazy android 11 release on your side?

Hello, I apologize I didn't get back to you until now. Your reply yesterday was in the evening and I've been slammed today, so I'm now getting caught up. I will pass your feedback along regarding the waterfall API and potential coding issues. I'm not going to guarantee that there will be any changes to the current behavior, but I'll make sure the proper people see it. 

-Tom

Options

30 Posts

04-02-2019

Serbia

38 Signins

232 Page Views

• Views: 232
  • Message 6 of 8

2021-04-16, 1:49 AM
Don't bother. They are full of excuses. I'm still waiting Android 11 update.... And, as I can see, we are waiting 7+ months for a half-baked OS update. This is my last Moto phone. I'm so disappointed.
Options

1 Posts

04-24-2021

Romania

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 7 of 8

2021-04-24, 21:21 PM

Because of this type of deflections from support, I am going to replace my Edge with an Oppo reno 4 pro. I am a bit sad because I did like the device before A 11 update but since you don't even want to allow that Waterfall API that is meant to improve the use of devices like this, but instead of commiting to the issue, you treat this as if the a working OS isn't part of the deal for this phone. It is hard to believe you designed a phone, advertising it with Waterfall edges while knowing that is something you can't control over time. Wow! I am sorry but this looks as either incompetence or Ill will. I read this forum upside down about this issue and there isn't any post providing updates on the fix. 

Options

5168 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3300 Signins

75821 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-04-26, 15:51 PM

@ Trackball_one wrote:

Because of this type of deflections from support, I am going to replace my Edge with an Oppo reno 4 pro. I am a bit sad because I did like the device before A 11 update but since you don' even want to allow that Waterfall API that is meant to improve the use of devices like this, but instead of commiting to the issue, you treat this as if the a working OS isn' part of the deal for this phone. It is hard to believe you designed a phone, advertising it with Waterfall edges while knowing that is something you can' control over time. Wow! I am sorry but this looks as either incompetence or Ill will. I read this forum upside down about this issue and there isn' any post providing updates on the fix. 

Sorry, you feel this way. It's neither incompetence nor ill will. This is a change Google/Android put in place and app developers have to get on board to support it. We have little to no control over it. Based on what I've received back so far from the devs, is the setting in the Dev options for cutout is a red herring and not exactly related the same way as it's being described by others here in the thread. I'm still pushing for a better explanation for how/why Google made this change, but I've yet to get that. 

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms