Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge
All Forum Topics
Options

4839 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3275 Signins

73736 Page Views

• Views: 73736
  • Message 1 of 19

US VoLTE and VoWiFi

2020-08-05, 17:38 PM

I know there has been a lot of questions about US carrier compatibility especially with the carriers making plans to shut down the 3G networking. You want to make sure your phone will work before buying it. Below is the current breakdown regarding VoLTE and VoWiFi on the major US carriers.

T-Mobile

VoLTE - Yes

VoWiFi - Yes

AT&T

VoLTE - Yes

VoWiFi - No

Verizon

VoLTE - Yes

VoWiFi - No

Sprint

VoLTE - Yes

VoWiFi - Yes 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

1 Posts

08-27-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 2 of 19

Re:US VoLTE and VoWiFi

2020-09-04, 20:22 PM

I am trying to edit the APN or add a new APN on my edge phone. Can you tell me how to do that. 

Options

2 Posts

09-05-2020

India

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 19

US VoLTE and VoWiFi

2020-09-05, 9:06 AM
Why is WIFI calling and VOLTE not provisioned on the motorola edge US version
Options

4839 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3275 Signins

73736 Page Views

• Message 4 of 19

2020-09-08, 13:21 PM

@ Chuck 101 wrote:

I am trying to edit the APN or add a new APN on my edge phone. Can you tell me how to do that. 

I can try to help. What carrier are you trying to use?

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4839 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3275 Signins

73736 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2020-09-08, 13:22 PM

@ ShankarSri wrote:

Why is WIFI calling and VOLTE not provisioned on the motorola edge US version

We never recommend using a phone bought outside of the region it was intended for sale in. It's quite possible that the US version is not going to get VoLTE/VoWiFi with carriers in India. This could be a hardware limitation or a carrier approval limitation. 

-Tom

Options

5 Posts

09-18-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 6 of 19

2020-09-18, 1:45 AM

Trying hard to get straight answers. It seems VoWifi on Verizon is available if you buy one of the phones they sell, but this model is not sold by them and is therefore that function is not supported. Can I tell them I have a phone they do sell and it would then allow me VoWifi? Or could Motorola get this phone certified under Verizon? 

Options

1 Posts

09-23-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 19

2020-09-23, 1:26 AM

Thank you for this information.  I have bought the edge and am currently with Simple Mobile / T-Mobile.  I have the VoLTE provision greyed out and can not adjust.  I was told by T-Mobile associates at a store that the phone will not have VoLTE activated with the edge in the network.  I called Motorola service afterward.  They said that the edge was certified with Verizon and Sprint which is now T-Mobile.  Verizon does accept the edge but, I am tired of running around just to get accurate answers.  Will Verizon activate VoLTE on the edge with the sim? HELP?

Options

5 Posts

09-18-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2020-09-24, 2:34 AM

I have an edge on Verizon prepaid. It came up VoLTE when it was activated. I have no menu to turn it off. I know I have it because I have HD calling everytime I pick up a call. I can also add calls and know when someone adds a call and puts us in conference. If I use the *# thing with the dialer I get VoLTE provision on and greyed out. However, I do not have Wifi calling, no menu, and does not work. My son has a Galaxy S10 unlocked from Best Buy with a Verizon Sim. He has a menu with Wifi calling and when activated and placed in airplane mode with wifi turned back on, he gets wifi calls. His Sim in my phone does not give me Wifi calling. The *# menu with his Sim in my phone shows the exact same options I have. The S10 is sold by Verizon, the edge is not. 

So what can we learn from this? Verizon sells the lesser moto E7. According to the Verizon website it has Wifi calling. I am pretty confident if I buy an E7 from Amazon and activate it on Verizon that I would have Wifi calling. There would be no Verizon bloatware on that phon;o so it can't be Verizon that is blocking the feature or adding an app to make it work. Motorola must know what they did to make Wifi calling work on that E7 Verizon phone and should be able to do the same and would do the same for the edge if Verizon sold this phone.

It is my fault I liked the edge and did not check to see if Verizon sold it before I bought it unlocked. Now I need to wait and see if Moto realizes the issue and makes an update.

Please correct me if I got something wrong and explain why different phones with similar SIMs operate differently on the same network. 

Options

5 Posts

09-18-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2020-09-27, 4:29 AM

It appears that when you place a Verizon SIM into the phone it talks to the network and provides it's IMEI to the network. Verizon either recognizes the phone or not. If it does not recognize the model you may not have service.

When the edge first came out Verizon had to deal with it since they don't sell it and they made a pattern for it.We can see early posts indicating problems with calls and texts. The template was rushed since they still don't have a photo of the phone to go along with the model number when you check your account. 

I am thinking that if they provisioned it just like the E7 then voice over wifi would work as it makes little sense for moto to make different interfaces to the network on phones from the same year. 

So we have to wait and see if Verizon will finish the interface for the edge and provision voice over wifi. They don't sell the phone so it may never be added. 

It would be nice if Motorola would help Verizon along by encouraging them to finish the integration; after all how different could it be from the moto E7 they already integrated.

Options

4839 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3275 Signins

73736 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2020-09-28, 14:52 PM

Generally speaking, Most carriers will offer VoWiFi on unlocked phones ONLY if they also sell the model locked through them. Since motorola edge is not sold by them, it's unlikely they will add/support Wi-Fi Calling on the unlocked device. 

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms