08-19-2017

US

6 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 6

Verizon 5G software update

2020-10-13, 23:03 PM

Verizon announced their "Nationwide 5G" offering as part of today's Apple Event, but I can't get it to work. I'm using the Moto Edge+ with the 5G SIM which came with it in an area with full bars which is indicated as being "Nationwide 5G" (not mmwave/UWB) on the VZW coverage map. 

Verizon tech support says a software update is being rolled out this week to enable access, but I'm unsure if there's truth to that or if it was just a pacifying answer to end the call. They were unable to provide the version number I should see post-update. I'm currently using QPBS30.188-48-15 with the August 1 security patch.

Has anyone had luck connecting to a 5G Verizon network outside of the few city blocks in some cities where mmwave/UWB is offered? Also, did anyone receive a software update this week?

Options

19383 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2394 Signins

59483 Page Views

• Views: 59483
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Verizon 5G software update

2020-10-14, 13:43 PM

@ briadavi wrote:

Verizon announced their "Nationwide 5G" offering as part of today's Apple Event, but I can't get it to work. I'm using the Moto Edge+ with the 5G SIM which came with it in an area with full bars which is indicated as being "Nationwide 5G" (not mmwave/UWB) on the VZW coverage map. 

Verizon tech support says a software update is being rolled out this week to enable access, but I'm unsure if there's truth to that or if it was just a pacifying answer to end the call. They were unable to provide the version number I should see post-update. I'm currently using QPBS30.188-48-15 with the August 1 security patch.

Has anyone had luck connecting to a 5G Verizon network outside of the few city blocks in some cities where mmwave/UWB is offered? Also, did anyone receive a software update this week?

Hi.

I live in a big city and for a long time, 5G was only available downtown. Over recent months I've started to see it more and more places -- but it's not everywhere yet. I don't get it at home, for example, but there are several areas in my wider neighborhood where I do.

I do not think an update to phone software is necessary, but they are likely updating network software to enable 5G in new areas. As long as your phone is properly provisioned I think it's just a matter of waiting for the service to reach you.

I will ask about this though. Maybe we can find information about what kind of timing to expect.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

19383 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2394 Signins

59483 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-10-15, 14:01 PM

Hi again.

I took a deeper look at this, and Verizon has several levels of 5G coverage. The Nationwide 5G you reference even says "Includes 4G LTE coverage" on the coverage map. So I guess that means getting 4G LTE is considered the same?

My speed on VZW's 4G LTE connection is fast, but not nearly as fast as I would expect from 5G. 

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

108 Posts

06-19-2019

US

174 Signins

1172 Page Views

• Views: 1172
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-10-16, 8:28 AM

I had to go into a Verizon flagship store today and get a new 5G Sim. After the last security update to my phone my phone sent out a text message saying that my 5G Sim had been removed. The guy at the Verizon flagship store said that the new 5G Sim card just came out 30 days ago. And the Verizon representative on the phone said that my phone had a 4G sim. But once we remove the old sim at the Verizon store it said 5G sim, but I think that the sim that was in the phone was actually a 4G sim with the 5G logo. Or may my phone (Motorola edge plus) just needed a updated 5g sim.

Options

19383 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2394 Signins

59483 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-10-16, 13:30 PM

@ Motorola55 wrote:

I had to go into a Verizon flagship store today and get a new 5G Sim. After the last security update to my phone my phone sent out a text message saying that my 5G Sim had been removed. The guy at the Verizon flagship store said that the new 5G Sim card just came out 30 days ago. And the Verizon representative on the phone said that my phone had a 4G sim. But once we remove the old sim at the Verizon store it said 5G sim, but I think that the sim that was in the phone was actually a 4G sim with the 5G logo. Or may my phone (Motorola edge plus) just needed a updated 5g sim.

Hi.

That's interesting. Did your old SIM say 5G on it? If so, just color me a little skeptical of the agent's comment...

-Matt

Options

108 Posts

06-19-2019

US

174 Signins

1172 Page Views

• Views: 1172
  • Message 6 of 6

2020-10-20, 8:36 AM

I had called Verizon and spoke to someone from tech support and they told me that I needed a new sim and that I would need to go to a Verizon flagship store. I was also having problems with the phone from day one. I had called Verizon Months ago about the phone not receiving phone calls and the music app non-stop buffering when I was connected to the Network. And yes once they removed the old Sim it said 5G.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete