Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola edgemotorola edge+
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 1 of 14

Wireless charging is bugged?

2020-08-30, 17:51 PM

Hi,

New phone, just tried a third-party wireless charger and the phone just refuses to charge after 5 seconds of charging.

I tried an iPhone 11 with the charge stand and it worked just fine, but the motorola phone just says "TurboPower connected" or "Wireless charging" or sometimes nothing just the battery lightning icon shows up, it's completely random, and then 5 seconds pass by and it stops charging and the wireless charger complains that either there is metal present or that the adapter isn't a quick charger (I have 3 different ones, they all behave the same).

No there is no case on it, I've tried every orientation possible. I even tried a pad because the product came with a pad and stand, same outcome.

I tried charging the iPhone with the Motorola power sharing in case the wireless system was just broken from factory but it worked fine.

It sounds to me like the phone is just refusing the connection after a while. Anyone else have trouble with this? Software bug?

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 2 of 14

Re:Wireless charging is bugged?

2020-08-30, 18:48 PM

On a special note that I just remembered, I used a USB hub which has a special port for charging (2.1A at 5V) and that seems to work however the charging speed was beyond atrocious. The stand was plugged into the hub and the phone put on the stand.

I also tried just the charger alone with usb-c directly to phone and it uses TurboPower so 18W.

Does this phone only work with specific chargers? If so what are they, what protocol does it officially support, Quick Charge? PD? Qi? there's zero information online about what it supports, all that's mentioned is that it supports fast charging up to 15W wirelessly. Using what, Quick Charge 3.0?

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2020-08-30, 19:13 PM

Ok after fidgeting with the pad (not the stand) it seems to charge fine but the device has to sit a bit offset than other devices, almost falling off the pad. But the stand still refuses and I think it's because the coils in the phone are too low. "TurboPower connected" comes on also so it's at least fast charging with a china Quick Charge 3.0 adapter and the official TurboPower adapter.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Motorola coils seem to be a bit wonky in the location. But what I don't get is why does the phone recognize the charging for a few seconds and decides to stop. Sometimes it even went up by 1% before it turned off so it's actually functional, not sure what the logic under the hood is.

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2020-08-30, 19:23 PM

Ok get this, after letting the phone charge a bit on the pad, I tried the stand again and it works flawlessly. What? Are the coils just energized and the tiny offset is not a problem anymore? Is there a gremlin hiding inside my phone? This phone is making me feel more stupid by the minute. I don't get what is happening.

Options

19892 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2512 Signins

63333 Page Views

• Views: 63333
  • Message 5 of 14

2020-08-31, 14:59 PM

@ suspetoc wrote:

Ok get this, after letting the phone charge a bit on the pad, I tried the stand again and it works flawlessly. What? Are the coils just energized and the tiny offset is not a problem anymore? Is there a gremlin hiding inside my phone? This phone is making me feel more stupid by the minute. I don't get what is happening.

Hi.

Really is confusing - sorry about this.

Wondering if you might try on Safe Mode to make sure it's not app interference? (Yeah, kind of a long shot.)  To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.

Let me know if the issues come back. 

Thanks,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2020-08-31, 17:52 PM

Hi,

The issue came back. I tried safe mode and it's still the same story.

What I did notice is that if the battery is above a certain percentage like 80%+ it has no issues, right now it's at 76% and it's failing to charge.

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2020-08-31, 18:14 PM

Yeah it seems to be the coils not being placed to standard like all the other phones. They're too low and the stands are freaking out about it. I just bought a second different stand because I'm giving the phone the benefit of the doubt, same outcome. If I hold them up the stand with like 2cm of space between the bottom base stand its supposed to sit on it will charge just fine. 

The coils are indeed too low, I don't think this can be fixed by software for obvious reasons but I'm crossing my fingers given that one of the stands charges just fine for 5 seconds. Unless it's purely the stands deciding not to give charge anymore because it's causing a weird effect.

I guess now I see one of the reasons why Motorola decided to release just a charge pad and not a stand, the gremlin inside the phone bested them.

I don't know what to say guys, new-comers, don't buy wireless stands just get pads.

Still won't give up on the phone it's a great phone.

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2020-08-31, 20:47 PM

And now the pad is also doing the same behavior no matter what position. It charges for 5 seconds using TurboPower and it stops. It's not a consistent bug.

I also tried a pad that doesn't use TurboPower (it uses like 10W) and that charges normally but it cuts out randomly for a second and then charges again for like 15 seconds.

Nobody else has this issue?

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2016

Canada

8 Signins

137 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2020-08-31, 22:45 PM

Now the normal wireless charging on the pad is working properly without interrupting. TurboPower still disconnecting. I didn't do anything, the phone has been sitting untouched for more than an hour.

Sorry for posting so much, I'm trying to figure out what's upsetting the Motorola gremlin.

Options

27 Posts

04-28-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

25 Signins

300 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 300
  • Message 10 of 14

2020-08-31, 23:10 PM

Hi I have a Letscom wireless charger and it works perfectly on my Edge plus. Only thing which I guess is that charging coil is slightly down (from middle) on this phone

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms