Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola one Phonesmotorola one 5G
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-03-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

Memory

2021-04-03, 22:50 PM

So, I know the phone uses some ROM for the OS and stuff, however the phone is only showing me that it's total ROM is only 3462MB..

This is the AT&T variant, that's supposed to have 4096MB (4GB) of ROM. 

So either the memory in this phone has some corruption on it, or you're telling me the phone uses OVER 500MB of ROM for the system files and won't show that in the TOTAL available?!?

Options

3 Posts

04-03-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:Memory

2021-04-03, 23:14 PM

See.  Both Hardware info from an app AND through the developer options show 3.6gb (3462MB) of ROM memory TOTAL

I THINK this phone has some corrupt memory...

What do you guys think.  

Screenshot_20210403-191117.png Screenshot_20210403-175100.png
Options

4848 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3276 Signins

73816 Page Views

• Views: 73816
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-04-05, 22:30 PM

@ Sangesf wrote:

See.  Both Hardware info from an app AND through the developer options show 3.6gb (3462MB) of ROM memory TOTAL

I THINK this phone has some corrupt memory...

What do you guys think.  

Hello and thanks for posting. I don't think there is any corrupt memory. The Dev options are showing 3.6GB or RAM which is expected. My Verizon version also shows 3.6GB total. It never shows the full amount installed on the phone. Even my Pixel 4a 5G shows 5.7GB instead of 6GB. I can ask why the memory shows that way, but what you're seeing is normal. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

3 Posts

04-03-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-04-06, 22:27 PM
Yes, can you ask why it's not showing the entire memory.
Options

4848 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3276 Signins

73816 Page Views

• Views: 73816
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-04-06, 23:19 PM

@ Sangesf wrote:

Yes, can you ask why it' not showing the entire memory.

Yes, so here is the reality of how RAM works. All devices even PC's have a reserved ram so you generally never actually have full use of the 8GB or 16GB installed. In an Android phone, the reserved space is used by a few different things. I've listed them below. 

• The kernel-space: Your Android phone runs on top of the Linux kernel. The kernel is stored in a special type of compressed file that's extracted directly into RAM during the device power-on sequence. This reserved memory holds the kernel, drivers and kernel modules that control the hardware and room to cache data in and out of the kernel.
  • A RAMdisk for virtual files: There are some folders and files in the system tree that aren't "real." They are pseudofiles written at boot and hold things like battery levels and CPU speed data. With Android, the whole /proc directory is one of these pseudofile systems. RAM is reserved so they have a place to live.
  • Network radios: Data about your IMEI and radio settings are stored in NVRAM (Non-Volatile memory that's not erased when you power off your phone), but get transferred to RAM along with the software needed to support the modem when you first turn on your phone. Space is reserved to keep this all in memory.
  • The GPU: The graphics adapter in your phone needs memory to operate. That's called VRAM, and our phones use integrated GPUs that have no stand-alone VRAM. System RAM is reserved for this.

I hope that helps. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms