6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 12

Caller cannot hear my voice but mic is working on hardware test

2020-03-28, 13:46 PM

Hi,

I have a Motorola One Action and have been using it for just 15-20 days

Since a couple of days, when i make a call, or receive a call, the caller cannot hear me, but when i put him on speaker, he can hear my voice.

I tried the same on whatsapp call also, the caller couldnot hear my voice.

I did a hardware test from the Device Help app, the mic seems to be working fine.I have tried all possible options found on  the net but still problem continues

I also have taken a backup and reset my phone to factory settings, but my voice doesnot go to the other person and he cannot hear me.

Have i missed out something ?

Thx

Options

217 Posts

10-13-2019

RO

273 Signins

3526 Page Views

• Views: 3526
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Caller cannot hear my voice but mic is working on hardware test

2020-03-29, 8:51 AM

Are any headphones plugged in when you make the call? Since hardware test was passed and since you already did a factory reset, I'm thinking this is probably either a bug with that particular version of Android (by the way, could you please, check out your Android version in Settings -> About phone -> Build Number?), but that's unlikely since probably a lot more people would have reported the same issue, oor it's some weird hardware issue we're missing with your particular device.

Also make sure your headphones port is clean, and there are no fibres, dust or lint from your pockets clugging up the port.  Since it can act like plugged in headphones when they're not actually there, and it'll try to route the sound from there. 

Best way to clean it is with compressed air, but if you don't have that, a toothpick or a paperclip might work. Hold the phone slightly tilted so that gravity can do its work.

Just remember to do it very gently so you don't either leave parts of the toothpick inside that port, or bend something inside with the paperclip. I would not recommend using q-tips, since those will leave cotton residues inside. If you can, get a can of compressed air, and try that. That's the best way to dust off electronics.

I'm just a human being human.
Options

4 Posts

03-28-2020

US

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2020-04-03, 13:01 PM

Sorry for replying late,

@ arsradu wrote:

Are any headphones plugged in when you make the call?  NO

Since hardware test was passed and since you already did a factory reset, I'm thinking this is probably either a bug with that particular version of Android (by the way, could you please, check out your Android version in Settings -> About phone -> Build Number?), QSBS30.6217-5

but that's unlikely since probably a lot more people would have reported the same issue, oor it's some weird hardware issue we're missing with your particular device.

Also make sure your headphones port is clean, and there are no fibres, dust or lint from your pockets clugging up the port.  Since it can act like plugged in headphones when they're not actually there, and it'll try to route the sound from there. 

Best way to clean it is with compressed air, but if you don't have that, a toothpick or a paperclip might work. Hold the phone slightly tilted so that gravity can do its work.

Just remember to do it very gently so you don't either leave parts of the toothpick inside that port, or bend something inside with the paperclip. I would not recommend using q-tips, since those will leave cotton residues inside. If you can, get a can of compressed air, and try that. That's the best way to dust off electronics.

I am not able to figure out, when i plug in a earphone without mic, i can speak and the other person can hear me but when i remove the earphone, the caller cannot hear me.

Is there any other way i can make my handset working ? I have currently removed the sim and put in in my old handset. Due to the lockdown, i am also not able to send it to the service center for repairs as the phone is still in warranty and i have purchased it just in first week of feb.

Regards

Options

217 Posts

10-13-2019

RO

273 Signins

3526 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2020-04-03, 21:58 PM

@ gfts wrote:

I am not able to figure out, when i plug in a earphone without mic, i can speak and the other person can hear me but when i remove the earphone, the caller cannot hear me.

Is there any other way i can make my handset working ? I have currently removed the sim and put in in my old handset. Due to the lockdown, i am also not able to send it to the service center for repairs as the phone is still in warranty and i have purchased it just in first week of feb.

Regards

QSB30... in the US? I thought US variant doesn't have Android 10 yet. But maybe this is not US variant. Or maybe it finally got the update. 

Anyway, for what I can tell, that's a hardware issue, not a software one.

Aaand I'm thinking it might be actually your headphone port.

When you plug in headphones with no microphone, you're using the phone's built-in mic since your headphones don't have a microphone. Which means there's no problem with the built-in mic itself. The problem is somewhere else.

When you unplug your headphones, instead of routing the sound through the built-in mic, I think it's still trying to get it from the headphone port, even if you don't have any kind of headphones plugged in. With or without microphone.

It would be interesting to know the result with a pair of headphones with microphone. If you have one. Even a cheap pair of headphones (hands-free as we call them here) would be enough for a short test.

Yeah, I think something got clogged into your headphones port and it's making your microphone act up.

Did you try the compressed air thing? Or tried to clean up that port as I suggested above? If it's not dust, it could be a bent pin or something. But I'm pretty sure it's something related tot the headphones port. Did you drop your phone or something? Maybe where there were headphones plugged in? Or used it in your back pocket with the headphones plugged in?

Try to inspect your headphone port. Get a flashlisght (either from another phone, or a dedicated one, or even a desk lamp might work, if the light is powerful enough) and try to take a look inside that port. See if there's any dust, fibres or really anything that could be clogging that port. Also, check for bent pins or stuff that looks out of the ordinary.

Options

4 Posts

03-28-2020

US

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2020-04-04, 10:07 AM
I am from India. I am posting a screenshot of the device help app hardware Test where I can hear what I speak when doing a mic test. Speakers also work fine. I puffed at the ear plug on the top and also the mic at the bottom. No I have not used any pin to clean if any. I haven't dropped my phone.
Screenshot_20200404-151926.png IMG-20200404-WA0106.jpg
Options

217 Posts

10-13-2019

RO

273 Signins

3526 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2020-04-04, 14:09 PM

Looks ok from here... but something could be broken inside.

When you tested your mic, did you tap/test both microphones? There's one on the bottom and one up top. I have a feeling only the one up top is working.

Also, are you able to test with a pair of headphones with microphone? It would be very interesting to know the results.

Anyway, I'm afraid this is most likely a hardware failure somewhere. Especially since, if I remember correctly, you also did a factory reset. So... my opinion is that this is probably not a software issue. If you have other friends with the same device model, you can ask if theirs works fine. But...I have a feeling it does.

Options

1 Posts

04-07-2020

IN

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 12

2020-04-07, 15:16 PM
I have a Motorola One Action and have been using it for just 45 days My microphone was not working on during call but working on speaker last one week .. But now today completely not working and not working also with headphones I tried the same on whatsapp call also, the caller couldnot hear my voice. I did a hardware test from the Device Help app, the mic seems to be working fine.I have tried all possible options found on the net but still problem continues I also have taken a backup and reset my phone to factory settings, but my voice doesnot go to the other person and he cannot hear me.
Options

217 Posts

10-13-2019

RO

273 Signins

3526 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2020-04-08, 17:05 PM

Did it work when you first bought your phone? It seems kinda odd that both cases are from India. So...I'm curious if it worked with Android 9 for example.

Options

4 Posts

03-28-2020

US

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2020-04-16, 22:41 PM
Yes it was working when I got the phone.
Options

217 Posts

10-13-2019

RO

273 Signins

3526 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2020-04-17, 7:21 AM

@ gfts wrote:

Yes it was working when I got the phone.

Then...the only way to confirm it's not a hardware issue is to downgrade to Android 9. But...that's not so easy to accomplish (thanks to Google), and it will most likely void your warranty, since you need to unlock the bootloader in order to go back to Android 9. Especially if that Android 9 is on an older security patch than the current version (which it probably is). Not to mention you automatically lose your data.

So yeah...although it feels more like a hardware issue than a software issue to me, since it didn't happen before, and I'm assuming you didn't drop your phone or damage it in the meantime, then..I don't know. I guess it could be software, too.

I can't confirm that, since we have different builds for different regions. My phone works perfectly fine. But as I said above, I find it interesting that both people complaining about this thing come from India.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save