Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knotlostinspace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 533
Message 1 of 18

HELP - Hard reset?

About a month ago my Granddaughter gave me my first Smartphone, a Motorola One Action.

When she gave me it we set it up together.

I then went away on holiday for two weeks, not taking it with me.

When I got back I tried to switch it on only to discover that the battery was flat.

I recharged it and tried to use it for the first time but for the life of me I can't recall the PIN code.

I daren't ask my Granddaughter because she will be cross.

I tried Googling the question and got taken to hardreset.info but that doesn't seem to help.

How do I completely restart my Motorola One Action?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 499
Message 2 of 18

Re: HELP - Hard reset?

@knotlostinspace wrote:

About a month ago my Granddaughter gave me my first Smartphone, a Motorola One Action.

When she gave me it we set it up together.

I then went away on holiday for two weeks, not taking it with me.

When I got back I tried to switch it on only to discover that the battery was flat.

I recharged it and tried to use it for the first time but for the life of me I can't recall the PIN code.

I daren't ask my Granddaughter because she will be cross.

I tried Googling the question and got taken to hardreset.info but that doesn't seem to help.

How do I completely restart my Motorola One Action?

Hi knotlostinspace,

Yes, Hard Reset/External Reset would be the option. Please follow the mentioned link here. Once it's done,  your device is ready to go!

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

knotlostinspace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 494
Message 3 of 18

Very many thanks for that Suman.

As I don't use Gmail I don't think I setup a Gmail account or if I did, it was not one I planned to ever use again so I have no idea what it or the password might be.

If I either setup a new Gmail account now or go ahead without knowing the account, will that work?

Thanks again for the reply - I really do feel SUCH an idiot, I will write everything down in the manual when eventually I can get the 'phone working.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 486
Message 4 of 18

@knotlostinspace wrote:

Very many thanks for that Suman.

As I don't use Gmail I don't think I setup a Gmail account or if I did, it was not one I planned to ever use again so I have no idea what it or the password might be.

If I either setup a new Gmail account now or go ahead without knowing the account, will that work?

Thanks again for the reply - I really do feel SUCH an idiot, I will write everything down in the manual when eventually I can get the 'phone working.

Hi knotlostinspace,

I do understand Smiley Indifferent Do not worry, performing Hard Reset will start your device afresh. You can set up a new Gmail and start using the phone.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

knotlostinspace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 482
Message 5 of 18

You are a HERO Suman!
I will give it a go now.
knotlostinspace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 466
Message 6 of 18

Sadly that appears not to be working.

I seem to get to the initial setup routine where I say that I want to use English (American, British is not available!).

And then I am asked to login with my Google Account - I have set one up in advance for the purpose.

When I go through using the newly setup Google Account I am told:

"This device was reset.  To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on this device."

I don't seem to be able to get beyond this point - I don't know what Google account was previously synced on this device - I presume one must have been.

Where to next?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 457
Message 7 of 18

@knotlostinspace wrote:

Sadly that appears not to be working.

I seem to get to the initial setup routine where I say that I want to use English (American, British is not available!).

And then I am asked to login with my Google Account - I have set one up in advance for the purpose.

When I go through using the newly setup Google Account I am told:

"This device was reset.  To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on this device."

I don't seem to be able to get beyond this point - I don't know what Google account was previously synced on this device - I presume one must have been.

Where to next?

Hi knotlostinspace,

Can you ask your granddaughter if she remembers which Gmail account she set up? If she remembers, try to login with it. If not, you might have to contact the place of purchase or contact our Motorola Customer Support for further assistance. Let us know.

Regards,

Suman

knotlostinspace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 452
Message 8 of 18

I checked with my Granddaughter, she doesn't remember - it was almost certainly a forgettable dummy account.
I guess that I will have to take the 'phone back to John Lewis in London which is where it came from.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 428
Message 9 of 18

Try doing the Factory reset again but using,"Recovery" mode,

• First, Switch off your Motorola mobile, by holding the power button.
  • After that, Hold down the Volume Down + Power Button.
  • When you see the Fast boot mode screen, release all the buttons.
  • Then Choose Recovery mode option, By using Volume Buttons and Power button to confirm.
  • Next, You will see Android exclamation mark.
  • While holding down the Power button press and release Volume Up Button.
  • Afterward, you will see the Recovery Mode.
  • Well done, Now you are in Recovery mode.

Now use the Volume key to move down to Wipe Data/Factory reset and press the Power button to activate it.Once done use the correct option in Recovery mode to restart the phone.

With luck this time when you setup the phone you should not get the Google prompt Smiley Happy

knotlostinspace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 418
Message 10 of 18

@Porphyrius wrote:

Try doing the Factory reset again but using,"Recovery" mode,

• First, Switch off your Motorola mobile, by holding the power button.
  • After that, Hold down the Volume Down + Power Button.
  • When you see the Fast boot mode screen, release all the buttons.
  • Then Choose Recovery mode option, By using Volume Buttons and Power button to confirm.
  • Next, You will see Android exclamation mark.
  • While holding down the Power button press and release Volume Up Button.
  • Afterward, you will see the Recovery Mode.
  • Well done, Now you are in Recovery mode.

Now use the Volume key to move down to Wipe Data/Factory reset and press the Power button to activate it.Once done use the correct option in Recovery mode to restart the phone.

With luck this time when you setup the phone you should not get the Google prompt Smiley Happy

I do appreciate your advice - I suspect you have been down this road before?

However, I believe that this is exactly what appears in the link supplied by Agent_Suman.

As I have posted, this process appears not to work in that it insists on knowing to what Gmail account we linked the Smartphone when first we set it up.  Unfortunately I do not know what account this was, we created an account that I have never used before or since.

Top Kudoed Authors